TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 06, 2021, 12:14:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 134   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 337884 times)
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #2140 on: November 16, 2020, 02:33:57 PM »

I haven't bought too many new releases this year, so far. I have enjoyed the following:

The Outlaws - Dixie Highway
ChimpanA - The Empathy Machine
Kansas - The Absence of Presence
The Burrito Brothers - The Notorious Burrito Brothers
Dennis de Young - 26 East Volume I
Pattern Seeking Animals - Prehensile Tales
Ye Banished Privateers - Hostis Humani Generis

I'm looking forward to the new releases by Pride Of Lions, Firefall (first new studio album for a couple of decades) and The Dirty Knobs (featuring Mike Campbell) too.

Yikes! I somehow missed Shuffle & Go from my list! It's definitely on there!
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #2141 on: November 16, 2020, 02:35:05 PM »

"Rockonteurs" Podcasts with Gary Kemp & Guy Pratt, mentioned in another thread.

Nick Mason at the moment...

Enjoying it very much but the adverts every few minutes so soooooo annoying  Angry

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #2142 on: November 16, 2020, 04:59:54 PM »

Christy Moore 1969-81 :  a great selection of some of his older songs, many unreleased on cd and dvd
The Pogues at the BBC  :  does exactly what it says on the tin, a couple of early versions of songs
Next up : AC/DC  the new album and after that, prodded by young Mr Leslie, LA Woman its been far too long since i listened to it.

The Dude abides
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #2143 on: November 16, 2020, 05:05:20 PM »

Next up : AC/DC  the new album and after that, prodded by young Mr Leslie, LA Woman its been far too long since i listened to it.

I'd be interested to know what you think.  I enjoyed it.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Dan O.
I was the face of 2001
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #2144 on: November 16, 2020, 06:29:37 PM »

The new AC/DC album's a solid thumbs sideways 3 star effort musically. It succeeds because of the affection AC/DC are held in - does what it says on the tin, no surprises, not bad at all, etc.

I wouldn't listen to it again, however, in preference to any of their efforts up to 1988's Blow Up Your Video.

Good to see they're still in active service, though - if there's a tour I'd like to see them as they're still on my "bands I love but have never seen" wishlist.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #2145 on: November 16, 2020, 08:37:20 PM »

Well it proved it was Malcolm's band, he certainly reined in the others big ideas!  Brass bands! orchestral settings! Angus on Mandolin and i should have guessed Phil Rudd would make the bodhran swing!
    All lies, its a solid AC/DC album from start to finish.  No anthems like Thunderstruck or Rosie but a good as if they'd never been away record and in this troubled world its nice to have something you can rely upon. I enjoyed it.

The Dude abides
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #2146 on: November 16, 2020, 09:43:40 PM »

Enjoying it very much but the adverts every few minutes so soooooo annoying  Angry

Who’s your podcast supplier? I didn’t have any interruptions when I binged it.

Just found out the wasp I killed yesterday was a wasp cop who was too old for this s**t and only one week away from retirement. Feel awful.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #2147 on: November 16, 2020, 11:27:46 PM »

Christy Moore 1969-81 :  a great selection of some of his older songs, many unreleased on cd and dvd
The Pogues at the BBC  :  does exactly what it says on the tin, a couple of early versions of songs

When The Pogues name first started floating around NY Irish circles I signed on, as it were, despite not being much of a punk fan at the time (which has changed somewhat now). Anyway, I had a bit of a trawl through their stuff again recently, and though I like many of Shane's songs lyrically, I really, really just can't deal with his singing of them now many years later. What I DID like after a long time away from the group were the songs by other members of the group-Phil Chevron's Thousands Are Sailing is a gem, and everything Terry Woods took lead on is fantastic. When Shane left I bought the follow up- Waiting For Herb, which wasn't terrible, but admittedly lost that bit of 'danger' Shane brought. So what you had (for me) was a band that needed they lyricism of Shane, but the vocals of someone else perhaps. It also coincides with the time I was also learning about Oysterband, who were not connected with punk per se, but who pulled it off better. My first Oysterband gig in the very early 90's was a literal mosh pit and my mind was made up about who I preferred more from that point on.

Today, I've been listening to a purchase on the weekend of  Bowie's Diamond Dogs on vinyl. Never realized that the riff on Rebel Rebel was played by the man himself...with some assistance. Followed up by Eliza Carthy's Dreams Of Breathing Underwater

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #2148 on: November 17, 2020, 12:07:46 AM »

Diamond Dogs was considered bloody weird by my mates when it came out.  Rebel, Rebel redeemed it, though.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion, C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.

Lost in time like tears in the rain
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #2149 on: November 17, 2020, 01:12:37 AM »

Who’s your podcast supplier? I didn’t have any interruptions when I binged it.
I was listening on YouTube, I’ve now subscribed via iTunes so hopefully tomorrow my listening will be ad-free! Cheers  Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2150 on: November 17, 2020, 01:50:55 AM »

Diamond Dogs was considered bloody weird by my mates when it came out.  Rebel, Rebel redeemed it, though.

Not nearly as bloody weird as Low, which I purchased a few weeks ago! But I don't doubt that at the time, it was not something you sat around saying, hey wow, you have to hear this! Apart from Rebel Rebel and Diamond Dogs that is!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #2151 on: November 17, 2020, 08:30:38 AM »

Not nearly as bloody weird as Low, which I purchased a few weeks ago! But I don't doubt that at the time, it was not something you sat around saying, hey wow, you have to hear this! Apart from Rebel Rebel and Diamond Dogs that is!

Looks like I’m bloody weird then as Low remains one of my favourite Bowie albums!

Born to Run (but not very fast)
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2152 on: November 17, 2020, 08:38:24 AM »

Looks like I’m bloody weird then as Low remains one of my favourite Bowie albums!

And without a doubt, mine.  Weird?  Really?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #2153 on: November 17, 2020, 09:17:06 AM »

In as much as it was nothing like anything else in the mainstream at the time, yes. Less so now because of its own subsequent influence on others.

Here it is:

No Place Like Tomorrow - Virginia Kettle
Poorville - Clive Gregson
The Farewell Show - Stornoway
Hate For Sale - The Pretenders
The Dirt and The Stars - Mary Chapin Carpenter
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #2154 on: November 17, 2020, 09:50:49 AM »

Low is weird.  It's also bloody great.  The two things are not mutually exclusive.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
mickf
Nevertheless, quite entertaining
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #2155 on: November 17, 2020, 09:56:22 AM »

I was in the car yesterday, listening to a random mixture of stuff I'd put together a while ago. All of a sudden 'This Too Will Pass' from Lindisfarne's last studio album, 'Promenade', came on. Given my recent bereavement, it hit me right where it hurts. It's long been one of my favourite Lindisfarne tracks, but, strangely, although it came at me like a bolt from the blue, I feel I love it even more, now.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #2156 on: November 17, 2020, 11:08:51 AM »

I was in the car yesterday, listening to a random mixture of stuff I'd put together a while ago. All of a sudden 'This Too Will Pass' from Lindisfarne's last studio album, 'Promenade', came on. Given my recent bereavement, it hit me right where it hurts. It's long been one of my favourite Lindisfarne tracks, but, strangely, although it came at me like a bolt from the blue, I feel I love it even more, now.

I get that a lot with songs now.  The tears come in waves, and the connection to the song becomes deeper.

Keep communicating, Mick.  It's one of the things that helps.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2157 on: November 17, 2020, 11:30:11 AM »

Hugs, lads.  As the Croz said, 'Music is love'....

ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #2158 on: November 17, 2020, 12:54:11 PM »

First thing this morning I was listening to Crosby's Here If You Listen on Spotify. I don't know if it was just the tinny speakers on my tablet and me being half asleep but one of his backing band sounded uncannily like Joni Mitchell on a couple of tracks.

Listening to it again through better speakers I think it's a case of her having a similar vibrato. Nice cover of Woodstock. See what you think https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWZlDK8Tg30

And for someone so against it, Crosby has a lot of his albums on Spotify. Or maybe it's the record companies that have put his music on there. I'll certainly buy a copy of that album having now heard it.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2159 on: November 17, 2020, 02:55:18 PM »

Low is weird.  It's also bloody great.  The two things are not mutually exclusive.

Jules

Well put. What I said a few weeks ago when I bought and heard it for the first time is that on initial listening it didn't grab me, but I knew something was lurking...something was there. Subsequent listens have revealed this to be true and I have a much better feel for the music now, but I stick by my 'weird' in the positive sense.

Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 134   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: