TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 19, 2021, 05:43:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 141   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 378392 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #2120 on: November 12, 2020, 10:15:57 AM »

Listening to Shuffle & Go, probably for the first time since the early weeks of its release back in March.

It still bears little resemblance to my concept of what a Fairport Convention album should sound like but if you can get past the fact that this is the name under which it has been released, it is actually a very enjoyable record (though Linseed Memories and Jolly Springtime still have no place here or anywhere). If it had a different name attached to it I think I would have liked it more immediately. It is just that the Fairport name brings with it certain expectations that this album does not even attempt to meet. Anyway, I have thoroughly enjoyed it this morning. A Thousand Bars must have been one of the most badly timed songs ever released though. Undecided
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #2121 on: November 12, 2020, 11:01:07 AM »

Listening to Shuffle & Go, probably for the first time since the early weeks of its release back in March.

It still bears little resemblance to my concept of what a Fairport Convention album should sound like but if you can get past the fact that this is the name under which it has been released, it is actually a very enjoyable record (though Linseed Memories and Jolly Springtime still have no place here or anywhere). If it had a different name attached to it I think I would have liked it more immediately. It is just that the Fairport name brings with it certain expectations that this album does not even attempt to meet. Anyway, I have thoroughly enjoyed it this morning. A Thousand Bars must have been one of the most badly timed songs ever released though. Undecided

I had never listened to it until prompted by your post. Some of it reminded me of Simon's solo records back in the old days.

As a folk rock record I struggled to hear any heavy bass or more than the occasional tap on a drum kit. The only FC track in the last 15 years that I can recall off the top of my head as being in any way 'rock' was Hawkwood's Army. This album is sort of 'folky', sort of novelty, sort of MOR but never folk-rock.

Compare 'Byfield Steeplechase' to a rural themed song like 'Eynsham Poacher' with a strong drumbeat from DM.

What a shame. I remember them saying decades ago that they didn't want to become a self-tribute band, but they would do better performing their back catalogue rather than putting off old fans like me with this stuff.
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #2122 on: November 12, 2020, 11:40:49 AM »

For me, Shuffle & Go is a candidate for album of the year. Just consistently and wonderfully brilliant.

I find something to enjoy from every Fairport line-up but more & more I find myself reaching for something from the current incarnation rather than, say, Unhalfbricking or Liege & Lief.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2123 on: November 12, 2020, 03:25:47 PM »

Starting my voyage of discovery with Trees as my vinyl boxset has just been delivered. Currently listening to the first album.

Initial thoughts are that Celia Humphris voice has a hint of that Shirley Collins/Cathy LeSerf/Candice Marie from Nuts In May tone that I usually have a real problem with. Hopefully it will stay the right side of annoying. So far so good, it works well on The Great Sylkie
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #2124 on: November 12, 2020, 03:43:24 PM »

'That night in Leamington' by Mostly Autumn - the somewhat unglamorous sounding title of Heather Findlay's farewell performance with the band. Some beautiful singing and tremendous guitar heroics from Brian Josh however.
SteveT

« Reply #2125 on: November 13, 2020, 08:54:48 AM »

'That night in Leamington' by Mostly Autumn - the somewhat unglamorous sounding title of Heather Findlay's farewell performance with the band. Some beautiful singing and tremendous guitar heroics from Brian Josh however.

I was at that gig. Haven't listened to it for years so I might just have to dig it out.
I've been really enjoying Heather's various projects since she left too, and been fortunate to catch her play most of them live in pretty intimate settings.
If I'm honest, I don't think MA have been anywhere near as good since she left, even though I do think Olivia is a good singer. They just haven't written anything that tops those first half a dozen albums in my humble.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2126 on: November 13, 2020, 05:04:40 PM »

Starting my voyage of discovery with Trees as my vinyl boxset has just been delivered. Currently listening to the first album.

Initial thoughts are that Celia Humphris voice has a hint of that Shirley Collins/Cathy LeSerf/Candice Marie from Nuts In May tone that I usually have a real problem with. Hopefully it will stay the right side of annoying. So far so good, it works well on The Great Sylkie

Any thoughts on the mastering/pressing, Al?⁶
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2127 on: November 13, 2020, 05:24:54 PM »

Hard for me to judge as this music is entirely new to me so I have no benchmark to compare it with and given my tinnitus I am not best placed to give an audiophile view.

I have now listened to the four vinyl discs though and my impressions are that I enjoyed The Garden of Jane Delawney in parts but some of it is a bit tentative. I was glad to see my Shirley Collins comparison confirmed in the book. Not conscious on the part of Celia Humphris apparently but definitely there. Unfortunately I am not a fan of Shirley's voice. Celia's style changes dramatically for On The Shore and it is a better album for it. Actually it is pretty magnificent. I like all of the 2007 remixes too but will probably rarely return to the radio sessions or demos from the vinyl set. There are more of these on the download but I am yet to listen to those.
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2128 on: November 13, 2020, 07:38:46 PM »

I like both of the Trees albums, but All About Eve’s cover of The Garden of Jane Delawney is just sublime (possibly my favourite Eves recording).
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2129 on: November 13, 2020, 10:05:46 PM »

Hard for me to judge as this music is entirely new to me so I have no benchmark to compare it with and given my tinnitus I am not best placed to give an audiophile view.

I have now listened to the four vinyl discs though and my impressions are that I enjoyed The Garden of Jane Delawney in parts but some of it is a bit tentative. I was glad to see my Shirley Collins comparison confirmed in the book. Not conscious on the part of Celia Humphris apparently but definitely there. Unfortunately I am not a fan of Shirley's voice. Celia's style changes dramatically for On The Shore and it is a better album for it. Actually it is pretty magnificent. I like all of the 2007 remixes too but will probably rarely return to the radio sessions or demos from the vinyl set. There are more of these on the download but I am yet to listen to those.

I've been listening to Trees for a long time and I feel On the Shore is the better album of the 2. It's certainly more finished, and the band sound as if they have more of a grip on what they're doing. I like Celia's voice : she can sing in different registers and has varied tones. Tracks like 'Polly on the shore' and 'Sally free and Easy' have a real sense of performance  as well as storytelling power. I suppose Fairport comparisons are inevitable, but Trees have imo, their own musical identity.
Paul
I've Got A Bike

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #2130 on: November 13, 2020, 10:37:36 PM »

Listening to Storm Force Ten.

Two thoughts.

Although it is an atypical Steeleye album, it is probably my favourite.

Give Martin Carthy a Telecaster, he can rock with the best of them.

Maddy could have been an actress. "Kill 'em now".

Hang on. Three thoughts. Smiley

Paul

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2131 on: November 14, 2020, 08:47:00 AM »

I've been listening to Trees for a long time and I feel On the Shore is the better album of the 2. It's certainly more finished, and the band sound as if they have more of a grip on what they're doing. I like Celia's voice : she can sing in different registers and has varied tones. Tracks like 'Polly on the shore' and 'Sally free and Easy' have a real sense of performance  as well as storytelling power. I suppose Fairport comparisons are inevitable, but Trees have imo, their own musical identity.

Al :  I hope you enjoy your journey with trees 🌳.  Its wonderful they are still finding new followers.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2132 on: November 14, 2020, 11:35:11 AM »

Trying to work my way through all the 2020 releases I have bought before the end of the year, a task made lengthier by Clive Gregson having thus far released 7 albums this year!  Grin

So far:

One Year - Clive Gregson
Hotspot - Pet Shop Boys
Nearly Really - Neil Innes (actually released late 2019 but I didn't get my copy until early this year)
Raggedy Ass - Clive Gregson
Shuffle & Go - Fairport Convention
No Time For Love Songs - The Mastersons
Canyons - Young Gun Silver Fox
Eighteen Strings - Clive Gregson
The Mike & Micky Show Live - The Monkees
Flying The Wrong Way - The Wooden Faces
Ghosts Of West Virginia - Steve Earle & The Dukes

Next up:

Heartbreaker Please - TeddyThompson
Rough & Rowdy Ways - Bob Dylan
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #2133 on: November 14, 2020, 04:07:55 PM »

"Compare 'Byfield Steeplechase' to a rural themed song like 'Eynsham Poacher' with a strong drumbeat from DM." Actually this was the late great Bruce, so credit to him here - and Peggy's bass is nice and lolloping.
... But I agree that Storm Force Ten is a great album - "The Victory" may be my favourite SS track ever
... And as for Trees, when I heard a few tracks a little while back, I had no problems at with Celia's voice it was the guitar I didn't like ... instead of a Thompson, a Donahue or a Taylor serving up something wholly sympathetic to the song, the plastic axe was rather too strident for these ears
Finally, (& whilst I am stringing together totally unrelated matters Wink) my "recent listen" is "King Henry's Consort Play 16th Century Pop". Does anyone know if KHC was ever an active band or was this just a one-off studio project?
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2134 on: November 15, 2020, 09:47:41 AM »

Good Souls Better Angels - Lucinda Williams
Homegrown - Neil Young
Blues With Friends - Dion
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2135 on: November 16, 2020, 10:50:19 AM »

Citizens of Boomtown - The Boomtown Rats
Modern Love - Original Soundtrack
Bloody Noses - Richard Thompson
First Rose of Spring - Willie Nelson
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2136 on: November 16, 2020, 12:27:08 PM »

Claire Hammil: The First Album - One House Left Standing (Beggars Banquet LP, 1983).
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #2137 on: November 16, 2020, 12:43:12 PM »

I haven't bought too many new releases this year, so far. I have enjoyed the following:

The Outlaws - Dixie Highway
ChimpanA - The Empathy Machine
Kansas - The Absence of Presence
The Burrito Brothers - The Notorious Burrito Brothers
Dennis de Young - 26 East Volume I
Pattern Seeking Animals - Prehensile Tales
Ye Banished Privateers - Hostis Humani Generis

I'm looking forward to the new releases by Pride Of Lions, Firefall (first new studio album for a couple of decades) and The Dirty Knobs (featuring Mike Campbell) too.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #2138 on: November 16, 2020, 01:49:52 PM »

Again.

Still brilliant.

* folder.jpg (121.44 KB, 709x704 - viewed 129 times.)

And if the cloud bursts thunder in your ear
You shout and no one seems to hear
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #2139 on: November 16, 2020, 02:19:00 PM »

Again.

Still brilliant.