TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
October 21, 2020, 05:36:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 219848 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #2000 on: October 10, 2020, 01:23:52 PM »

Pick of The Pops with Paul Gambaccini celebrating National Albums Day.

I can't help thinking that if I was going to celebrate albums I would not pick the years 1983 & 1987. It is almost entirely rubbish so far.
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #2001 on: October 13, 2020, 10:07:47 AM »

Erland Cooper solo albums - thanks for the prompt @davidmjs ! Wonderful stuff, very calming and meditative.

It's not often I buy vinyl these days, but Rout Of The Blues by Robin and Barry Dransfield is winging it's way to me. I think this is an album caught up in the Celtic Music debacle, so I don't think it's ever had a CD release?
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Eardisley, Herefordshire

« Reply #2002 on: October 13, 2020, 10:31:42 AM »

Erland Cooper solo albums - thanks for the prompt @davidmjs ! Wonderful stuff, very calming and meditative.

It's not often I buy vinyl these days, but Rout Of The Blues by Robin and Barry Dransfield is winging it's way to me. I think this is an album caught up in the Celtic Music debacle, so I don't think it's ever had a CD release?

No probs  Smiley

RotB on CD: https://www.discogs.com/Robin-Barry-Dransfield-The-Rout-Of-The-Blues/release/13169794

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2003 on: October 13, 2020, 04:25:52 PM »

The Digging Deep: Subterranea comp from our Percy.  It defines mixed bag.  There's some wonderful stuff in there, but also some really ploddy howlers (to these ears) too.  Still, all power to his elbow.  He can do no wrong really...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #2004 on: October 13, 2020, 08:56:37 PM »

The new Left Outsides album Are You Sure I Was There? Wonderful stuff, early days but it might just turn out to be their best yet.
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Isle of Skye

Meminesse sed providere

« Reply #2005 on: October 14, 2020, 07:53:03 AM »

Pick of The Pops with Paul Gambaccini celebrating National Albums Day.

I can't help thinking that if I was going to celebrate albums I would not pick the years 1983 & 1987. It is almost entirely rubbish so far.

This was because Radio Two was having an eighties day on Saturday and all programmes featured eighties music.

They had a vote for the greatest eighties album which had been concluded the day before.

And radio waves kept me company...
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2006 on: October 14, 2020, 11:34:10 AM »

Joshua Tree, my ****

PaulT
Memory jogger
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #2007 on: October 14, 2020, 11:48:40 AM »

Could be painful... Wink

Said the straight man, to the late man...
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #2008 on: October 14, 2020, 11:55:10 AM »

Drive By Truckers - The New Ok

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #2009 on: October 14, 2020, 12:05:07 PM »

Kris Drever's latest release Where The World Is Thin which arrived in the post this morning. Only ordered it yesterday.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2010 on: October 14, 2020, 12:20:44 PM »

Kris Drever's latest release Where The World Is Thin which arrived in the post this morning. Only ordered it yesterday.

He's probably got bugger all else to do with his time except head for the PO, poor bloke...

ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #2011 on: October 14, 2020, 03:02:33 PM »

He's probably got bugger all else to do with his time except head for the PO, poor bloke...

And he's probably wishing he was still up in Shetland as there aren't nearly as many cases of Covid up there as there are in Glasgow. I'll play a track from his cd on my next radio show. Might cheer him up a bit.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2012 on: October 15, 2020, 09:50:58 AM »

Gimme Some Truth -the new set of John Lennon remixes which has stirred up all manner of frothing indignation on various forums.

I listened to the 5.1 mix last night which is painfully bass heavy and not especially involving (especially measured against something like the sublime mix of Tears For Fears Seeds of Love which appeared last week.)

Listening to the CD this morning which works better for me and raises hope in the event that they ever get around to de-mixing/remixing Walls & Bridges and Rock n Roll.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #2013 on: October 15, 2020, 11:26:09 AM »

Gimme Some Truth -the new set of John Lennon remixes which has stirred up all manner of frothing indignation on various forums.

The ones I've heard on YouTube seemed decent enough.  What are the major grumbles, Gub?

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2014 on: October 15, 2020, 12:30:52 PM »

The ones I've heard on YouTube seemed decent enough.  What are the major grumbles, Gub?

Jules

From people "out there" it seems to be mainly that the music sounds flat and the vocals, although previously too buried in the mix, are now too  far forward in the mix. And there is a general consensus that the bass is way too loud. The prevailing opinion is that this has been mixed for streaming and to jump out of small bluetooth speakers and earbuds and is in no way audiophile, which of course is true. Any music seeking to be popular and reach a youngish audience is mixed that way now because that is how most people now listen, regrettably. The Imagine box from a couple of years ago was an audiophile mix because it was catering to a specific, completist audience. This is a greatest hits set, more or less, aimed at the charts and trying to attract an audience who may not be aware of Lennon's solo work beyond one or two songs. With the exception of a few songs which have been radically revamped (Angela, Steel & Glass) I am not hearing too much different from the familiar versions when I play the CD, though that may be because I don't listen to John's solo work constantly. The 5.1 mix is a different story and it has to be said that even attempting a 5.1 mix of recordings as rough hewn as Working Class Hero or Grow Old With Me is an act of pure folly.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2015 on: October 15, 2020, 03:32:25 PM »

and it has to be said that even attempting a 5.1 mix of recordings as rough hewn as Working Class Hero or Grow Old With Me is an act of pure folly.

One or two might argue that the pure folly resides clearly with the purchasers....

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2016 on: October 15, 2020, 03:45:18 PM »

and it has to be said that even attempting a 5.1 mix of recordings as rough hewn as Working Class Hero or Grow Old With Me is an act of pure folly.

One or two might argue that the pure folly resides clearly with the purchasers....

Bit harsh David. 5.1 mixes can be fun. I have several that I enjoy including by the Beatles. It just happens that this collection is less compelling at least to my ears. The aforementioned songs are only two tracks out of 36 and it seems obvious to me that splitting a single acoustic guitar and vocal or a single piano and bootleg quality voice recording across 5 channels is always going to be a hiding to nothing so I can't understand why they attempted it. All it does is amplify the already evident flaws in the recordings.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2017 on: October 15, 2020, 04:59:05 PM »

With the exception of a few songs which have been radically revamped (Angela, Steel & Glass) I am not hearing too much different from the familiar versions when I play the CD

I heard Angela yesterday.  I was surprised that it almost sounded like a halfway decent record.   Wink

Jules

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2018 on: October 15, 2020, 05:27:49 PM »

With the exception of a few songs which have been radically revamped (Angela, Steel & Glass) I am not hearing too much different from the familiar versions when I play the CD

I heard Angela yesterday.  I was surprised that it almost sounded like a halfway decent record.   Wink

Jules

Terrible lyrics, albeit sincere.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2019 on: October 15, 2020, 06:11:20 PM »

Terrible lyrics, albeit sincere.

Yes.  Some Time in New York City was arguably the greatest nosedive of any major rock star up to that point in time.  Especially if you factor in that it followed Imagine.

Jules

Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: