TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 27, 2019, 07:23:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tour, New CD & Cropredy

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 9692 times)
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

Omnia ti bi felicia

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2019, 05:54:26 PM »

Jan Garbarek - Rites, bought from Oxfam in Cirencester for 4 quid. 1st disc is really good, but reviewers seem to think cd2 is better. That'll be played next.

Probably my favourite JG album; both discs are fab.  Smiley

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Dad Volt
Disturber of the Peace
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Preston Lancs

Same as before!

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2019, 07:27:59 PM »

On a Storytellers Night - Magnum. Perfect pop/rock, and they deserved a lot more commercial success than they achieved. Songs like Two Hearts and Steal your Heart could have been massive FM hits!

That is a great album! †I bought it when it first came out, and then found the CD a few weeks ago in Oxfam, and have enjoyed it all over again!

Another vote here,love that album!

Happy mainly.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2019, 08:25:50 PM »

Timeless: A Tribute to Hank Williams - Various Artists

I picked this up cheaply primarily for the Bob Dylan track but it is really splendid. In particular there is a wonderful cover of I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry by Keb Mo. I am ashamed to say that I am unfamiliar with Mr Mo but would like to hear more. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I'll try to remember to get back to you on that one Al. I know I have a few cassettes  Grin of his early stuff. Indeed he is great and I'm ashamed I've let him fall off my radar as well.

Here I'm listening to the American Epic boxset again with an eye towards writing a possible series of posts about it on the blog. Really tremendous stuff.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
PaulT
Memory jogger
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2019, 06:28:20 AM »

Jan Garbarek - Rites, bought from Oxfam in Cirencester for 4 quid. 1st disc is really good, but reviewers seem to think cd2 is better. That'll be played next.

Probably my favourite JG album; both discs are fab. †Smiley

Indeed they are! The other JG albums I have are those with the Hilliards, but I shall have to look out for others. Any recommendations, Ian?

Said the straight man, to the late man...
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

Omnia ti bi felicia

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2019, 08:22:31 AM »

Indeed they are! The other JG albums I have are those with the Hilliards, but I shall have to look out for others. Any recommendations, Ian?

You might look out for:

"In Praise of Dreams"
"Visible World"
"Legend of Seven Dreams"
"Ragas & Sagas" with Ustad Fateh Khan
"Twelve Moons" (Can't find my copy so if you find two)

There are a couple with Eberhard Weber & some with Keith Jarrett, but I've only got them on unlabelled cdrs & don't know their titles.

Did you see him with the Hilliards in Gloucester Cathedral a few years back? It was stunning.  Smiley

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2019, 10:58:23 AM »

I picked this up cheaply primarily for the Bob Dylan track but it is really splendid. In particular there is a wonderful cover of I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry by Keb Mo. I am ashamed to say that I am unfamiliar with Mr Mo but would like to hear more. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I'll try to remember to get back to you on that one Al. I know I have a few cassettes †Grin of his early stuff. Indeed he is great and I'm ashamed I've let him fall off my radar as well.

Here I'm listening to the American Epic boxset again with an eye towards writing a possible series of posts about it on the blog. Really tremendous stuff.

Thanks Robert. Appreciate That.

This morning I am blowing away the cobwebs both literally and metaphorically to the accompaniment of the expanded version of The Band's The Last Waltz.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2019, 12:33:03 PM »

Marissa Nadler's new release For My Crimes. There's an interview with her in the current RnR magazine which also includes a review of the new album by Stuart Anthony and Larry Beckett. I happen to know Stuart and it's nice to see a friend getting a mention in a publication like that, though I don't think they've reviewed any of his previous releases.

Listen to my folk & acoustic music shows on Mixcloud
http://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
PaulT
Memory jogger
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2019, 01:58:45 PM »

You might look out for:

"In Praise of Dreams"
"Visible World"
"Legend of Seven Dreams"
"Ragas & Sagas" with Ustad Fateh Khan
"Twelve Moons" (Can't find my copy so if you find two)

There are a couple with Eberhard Weber & some with Keith Jarrett, but I've only got them on unlabelled cdrs & don't know their titles.

Did you see him with the Hilliards in Gloucester Cathedral a few years back? It was stunning. †Smiley

Certainly did, and quite a few years earlier at Bath Abbey. I would dearly love a 5.1 recording of either of their collaborations... the mix of voices and sax coming from different areas of the buildings was stunning!

Said the straight man, to the late man...
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2019, 09:52:12 AM »

i saw Keb Mo play Womad about four years ago and he was excellent. The Door is a fine album and there is also an excellent live CD, The Hot Pink Blues Album.

Interesting bit of trivia, I gather he is the only artist to have played the inauguration ceremony for both a real President (Obama) and a fictional one (on the West Wing).
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2019, 10:46:43 AM »

I just learned ECM are going to release another 2 batches of their Touchstones CD series.  Minimal packaging but good music.
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2019, 01:05:15 PM »

Jimi Hendrix - Isle of Wight..

Bought cd off Music Magpie for a couple of quid (free postage) use to have it on vinyl in the early 70s but flogged it to a mate so I could buy Faust's first album clear vinyl.  Great to hear it again.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2019, 05:43:44 PM »

First new music (i.e. released in 2019) of the year.

Fool - Joe Jackson

On an initial listen this is right up there with his very best. The opening track is an absolute corker.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2019, 06:24:46 PM »

A mix of recent purchases -

The Who Hits 50
The Very Best of The Proclaimers
Songhoy Blues - Resistance
Un-Herd vol 73 (cd with RnR mag)
Stills & Collins - Everybody Knows

The first two, which are double cds, were from HMV in their 2 for £10 sale.

Listen to my folk & acoustic music shows on Mixcloud
http://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2019, 03:42:30 PM »

Indigo Girls  : Indigo Girls  (Music on Vinyl LP, 2019).
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2019, 07:04:55 PM »

Reg King by Reg King.  Long wondered what this sounded like. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v0B4vjlulM&fbclid=IwAR1i9kqs5VW03aRkZHcSESWOXTEYLKQY8jmIuptzl-l1-V1rbTn4MjeZ3Ho

My partner and I are running the Chester 10k on 10 March to raise money for our local hospice, and to raise awareness of the hospice movement.  Please click on my website for more info.  Thanks.
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!

I'm a llama!

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2019, 07:48:06 PM »

Fool - Joe Jackson

On an initial listen this is right up there with his very best. The opening track is an absolute corker.

Most definitely seconded! Great record which will make my tedious drive to Swindon more bearable. Shame he isnít playing near me on the tour.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2019, 08:57:04 PM »

Fool - Joe Jackson

Shame he isnít playing near me on the tour.

No, me either sadly.  Sad
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2019, 06:18:04 PM »

The Concert For New York which took place in October following 9/11 in 2001, everybody who has ever had some connection with New York is on there except Springsteen - any ideas why?
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2019, 06:20:56 PM »

The Concert For New York which took place in October following 9/11 in 2001, everybody who has ever had some connection with New York is on there except Springsteen - any ideas why?

Don't know what date it was on, but this might help.. http://brucebase.wikidot.com/2001

My partner and I are running the Chester 10k on 10 March to raise money for our local hospice, and to raise awareness of the hospice movement.  Please click on my website for more info.  Thanks.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2019, 06:25:23 PM »

Perhaps he didn't want Macca to tell him how to play.  Lips Sealed
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: