TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
November 27, 2021, 04:52:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 174   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 570430 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #1980 on: October 05, 2020, 02:09:14 PM »

To be honest, Chris and Roger are cut from the same cloth on this one.

Unlike Roger, I've not seen Chris going on about it to anyone and everyone...not at all.  Perhaps my filter needs adjusting  Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #1981 on: October 05, 2020, 03:25:27 PM »

Gilmore and Roberts - Up From The Deep

Ten years since Kat and Jamie released this album and I reckon it's still my favourite. The Badgers Set is a crackin' tune with Kat's playing reminding me a bit of Nancy Kerr.

Sunday 18th October Kat and Jamie are doing a live online gig featuring the whole album. It's ticketed but fab value at £8.00 (free to patrons) and there will be a Q&A after. Tickets via their website or facebook page. Really looking forward to this.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #1982 on: October 05, 2020, 07:10:49 PM »

David Bowie-Low, purchased yesterday on vinyl. As I posted on FB, I got a chuckle out of a replica of a 1977 fan club sheet included. Occasionally that still happens with older CD's I have not opened in awhile, but being a Bowie one I thought it exceptionally cool. Unexplained however is a second empty inner record sleeve. Not sure if that was a mistake or another attempt at recreating nostalgia however! As to the album, its certainly a challenge. I think I like Side B more, which is almost a continuous soundscape of sorts as opposed to the more disjointed Side A. There is something here though that I will crack on repeat listens. I've decided that I want to dive a little deeper into both Bowie's catalog and Bob Dylan's. I have several things by each already of course, but I want to really hear more. That and some more by my new obsession Ronnie Lane.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1983 on: October 08, 2020, 10:23:12 AM »

Good Luck, Seeker - The Waterboys

Goodness, the last three Waterboys albums haver really been all over the place. I think I like this more than Out Of All This Blue. It is an enjoyable listen with  a couple of strong songs but that does not necessarily make it a good Waterboys album. I think Mike needs to retire the tactic of throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks but then again, at this point, I guess he is entitled to have some fun.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1984 on: October 08, 2020, 11:13:46 AM »

Goodness, the last three Waterboys albums haver really been all over the place. I think I like this more than Out Of All This Blue. It is an enjoyable listen with  a couple of strong songs but that does not necessarily make it a good Waterboys album. I think Mike needs to retire the tactic of throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks but then again, at this point, I guess he is entitled to have some fun.

I guess I saw it as a lockdown-motivated root through his computer files to see what he could make an album out of.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1985 on: October 08, 2020, 12:02:03 PM »

Incredible String Band  catgalogue, vinyl where possible.

I do this regularly enough, but especially when the colder weather starts.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #1986 on: October 08, 2020, 12:40:34 PM »

They cover the range of seasons for me, but I know what you mean.  I have periodically thought about getting rid of all of my music except for the works of 3 (or 4, or 5, or...) artists.  If I ever did, they'd be one of those I kept.  Their complete works (plus solo) has everything you need....and more.  I'm very much looking forward to Rose's forthcoming book.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1987 on: October 08, 2020, 02:26:42 PM »

Fake Tan - Iain Matthews & The Salmon Smokers

This has just been delivered to my house and I have to praise the efficiency of the record shop in the Netherlands from which I orderd it only on Monday. I am really enjoying the album but feeling slightly rueful. This was announced as a vinyl only release in a limited run of 500. I have paid a premium to import a copy as it originates from Norwayand would not have bought vinyl if other options were available. I now find that a CD & download release is being investigated for the new year. I will try not to let that sour me on the music.

Almost immediately after discovering the above, I also saw that the vinyl only boxed set of Stax Staple Singers albums that I bought at the start of the year is also about to be released on CD. Hurrumph!
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1988 on: October 09, 2020, 09:26:26 AM »

They cover the range of seasons for me, but I know what you mean.  I have periodically thought about getting rid of all of my music except for the works of 3 (or 4, or 5, or...) artists.  If I ever did, they'd be one of those I kept.  Their complete works (plus solo) has everything you need....and more.  I'm very much looking forward to Rose's forthcoming book.

Yes, its a considerable body of work. Even Robin's catalogue alon
e is formidable. If I worked hard at it I could get through the whole ISB and solo stuff in a month, but it would be an effort.

I've preordered Rose's book and look forward to it too.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1989 on: October 09, 2020, 10:58:38 AM »

I guess I saw it as a lockdown-motivated root through his computer files to see what he could make an album out of.

Jules

I only noticed the Kate Bush cover on the second listen. It is actually rather splendid.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #1990 on: October 09, 2020, 12:31:59 PM »

I think listening to all of ISBs back catalogue would be more than I could bear!

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #1991 on: October 09, 2020, 06:04:36 PM »

Apparently Mike considered not releasing this under the Waterboys name as he felt it strayed too far from their core sound. Sounds pretty much like the previous two to me (not a good thing!), pretty uneven with far more miss than hit, although My Travels in the Weary Land is magnificent and saves the album for me.
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #1992 on: October 09, 2020, 06:26:09 PM »

Apparently Mike considered not releasing this under the Waterboys name as he felt it strayed too far from their core sound. Sounds pretty much like the previous two to me (not a good thing!), pretty uneven with far more miss than hit, although My Travels in the Weary Land is magnificent and saves the album for me.

I think you're being too respectful, the song about The Clash on the previous album and the Soul Singer track on this album are lyrically embarrassing and should never seen the light of day.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1993 on: October 09, 2020, 06:36:09 PM »

I think you're being too respectful, the song about The Clash on the previous album and the Soul Singer track on this album are lyrically embarrassing and should never seen the light of day.

Actually I quite like both of those. I think the problem is that Mike has chucked out quite a lot of material in the last few years that is quite enjoyable but doesn't really sound like the Waterboys. Possibly they should have come out under his own name. I still think Modern Blues is one of the finest albums of the current century though.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1994 on: October 09, 2020, 08:29:44 PM »

I only noticed the Kate Bush cover on the second listen. It is actually rather splendid.

The basic track is over 20 years old.

Jules

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1995 on: October 09, 2020, 08:32:36 PM »

I think the problem is that Mike has chucked out quite a lot of material in the last few years that is quite enjoyable but doesn't really sound like the Waterboys. Possibly they should have come out under his own name.

I'm sure he would argue that The Waterboys never had a set sound, and that the best artists are ever-changing.

I doubt he'd ever go back to using his own name.  The band name sells more records, for starters.

Jules

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1996 on: October 09, 2020, 10:34:50 PM »

I think the problem is that Mike has chucked out quite a lot of material in the last few years that is quite enjoyable but doesn't really sound like the Waterboys. Possibly they should have come out under his own name.

I'm sure he would argue that The Waterboys never had a set sound, and that the best artists are ever-changing.

I doubt he'd ever go back to using his own name.  The band name sells more records, for starters.

Jules

Quite so but the eclecticism of the recent albums is problematic in as much as it is hard to hear them as the product of a band (which I appreciate the Waterboys are in name only at this point). They equate more to the sort of collections of outtakes and experiments that Andy Partridge has put out occasionally under his own name. But the point about the commercial potential of the band name is well made.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #1997 on: October 10, 2020, 08:21:19 AM »

Jules

Quite so but the eclecticism of the recent albums is problematic in as much as it is hard to hear them as the product of a band (which I appreciate the Waterboys are in name only at this point). They equate more to the sort of collections of outtakes and experiments that Andy Partridge has put out occasionally under his own name. But the point about the commercial potential of the band name is well made.

I believe that if you selectively filleted the best songs from the last half dozen Waterboys albums, you’d have one of the great records of this century - albeit a large chunk of the material would be from Modern Blues. Instead you have a body of work which increasingly relies on one great track to rescue the album rather than having (like in the good old days) one weak track which lets it down.
If you ask me (and nobody has) the decline set in when he started enunciating his vocals rather than howling into the void.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1998 on: October 10, 2020, 10:06:04 AM »

Jules

I believe that if you selectively filleted the best songs from the last half dozen Waterboys albums, you’d have one of the great records of this century - albeit a large chunk of the material would be from Modern Blues. Instead you have a body of work which increasingly relies on one great track to rescue the album rather than having (like in the good old days) one weak track which lets it down.
If you ask me (and nobody has) the decline set in when he started enunciating his vocals rather than howling into the void.

I do love Modern Blues unreservedly. It is end to end great for me and my favourite Waterboys album after Fisherman's Blues and Room To Roam. I know it is heresy but I don't like any of the pre Fishermans Blues albums in their entirety though there is of course brilliance therein.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1999 on: October 10, 2020, 10:45:48 AM »

About to plough though 24 cds by the very, very, wonderful Divine Comedy, see you sometime on the other side, if i make it😎🍀😘

The Dude abides
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 174   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: