TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
September 23, 2019, 05:22:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 34416 times)
StephenB
something about the grinding beat

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

Some boy to be one boy - I should have been twins

« Reply #180 on: March 21, 2019, 12:23:16 AM »

I was pleasantly surprised to pick up in Tesco the Planxty retrospective "Between the Jigs and the Reels" for only €7. 18 audio tracks spanning their 9 or 10 year-ish history, and a couple of DVDs of live performances I haven't got round to yet.

Anyway, I ramble - the track that stood out for me and I keep playing over and over was not one of the obvious ones from the golden years of their first three albums, but from their otherwise lacklustre fifth studio offering "The Woman I Loved So Well". "True Love Knows No Season" is IMO a near-perfect piece of music - a band still capable of being on top of their game (as here), knee-trembling interplay between uilleann pipes and harmonica, the trademark mandolin/bouzouki backing like a soft babbling brook in the background, and Christy Moore's velvet voice effortlessly narrating. And it just all comes together in perfection. I'll shut up now - just listen  Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raHmZ1V2230

If I could be any animal I wanted...
there'd be something really heavy going on.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #181 on: March 21, 2019, 10:12:50 AM »

In desperate need of some reassuring prog today so listening to Icelandic band Todmobile with an orchestra and Steve Hackett doing Supper's Ready Smiley Superb!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR948ak4VjM&t=523s

They also do an amazing version of State Of Independence with Jon Anderson.

Confusion will be my epitaph
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #182 on: March 21, 2019, 09:38:23 PM »

Here I Lie - the new album by Ian Prowse

Have had it for well over a week but I have been so short of spare time lately that it is only my second listen.
Paul B

« Reply #183 on: March 22, 2019, 09:16:45 AM »

Been listening to Audience -a band I just never picked up at their time -the early 70's Cool-but who are extremely good especially "House on the Hill". Missed them because it was THE golden age for music -Neil, CSNY, Joni, Who, Genesis, Yes, Crimson, great soul and reggae etc etc

Completely different style but equally impressive -Yola's "Walk through Fire" -recommended if you like Southern soul -a great singer.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #184 on: March 22, 2019, 09:54:16 AM »

Been listening to Audience -a band I just never picked up at their time -the early 70's Cool-but who are extremely good especially "House on the Hill". Missed them because it was THE golden age for music -Neil, CSNY, Joni, Who, Genesis, Yes, Crimson, great soul and reggae etc etc

I have been meaning to investigate Audience. They had connections to Stackridge and briefly shared a member of the band I believe.
mickf
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Barry, South Wales

« Reply #185 on: March 22, 2019, 10:44:18 AM »

I have been meaning to investigate Audience. They had connections to Stackridge and briefly shared a member of the band I believe.
They certainly did. Keith Gemmell, the sax and flute player, joined Stackridge in the mid 70s. The drummer, Tony Connor, went on to join Hot Chocolate! I saw Audience a couple of times as a lad. I particularly loved their last two albums ('House on the Hill' and 'Lunch') Keith Gemmell sadly died a couple of years ago.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #186 on: March 23, 2019, 11:59:42 AM »

A concerted bid to listen to entire albums after hearing David Hepworth being interviewed this morning. I have rather fallen into the habit of shuffle play.

So, starting with Workingman's Dead & Terrapin Station by Grateful Dead.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #187 on: March 23, 2019, 01:48:45 PM »

A concerted bid to listen to entire albums after hearing David Hepworth being interviewed this morning. I have rather fallen into the habit of shuffle play.

Yin and yang  Smiley

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #188 on: March 23, 2019, 04:55:33 PM »

Yin and yang  Smiley

Even within Terrapin Station itself. Side 2 is one of my favourite pieces of music by anyone ever and side 1 is justified by Estimated Prophet. It is a while since I listened to any Dead. I may move on to From The Mars Hotel next which along with these two, American Beauty & In The Dark are my favourites of the studio albums.

For now though it is:

Phases & Stages - Willie Nelson
Through The Wild - The Willows
Laser Love
- After The Fire
No Dice - Badfinger
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #189 on: March 24, 2019, 10:29:01 AM »

Life Short Call Now - Bruce Cockburn, an album that sort of came & went when it was released without me paying it the attention it deserved. Turns out it is terrifically good.
Every Turn of the World - Christopher Cross. A guilty pleasure. His flop third album where he attempted a slightly harder edge and all the people on yachts stopped listening.
Acadie - Daniel Lanois
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #190 on: March 24, 2019, 11:07:30 AM »

Thanks for the heads up on that Bruce album, Al. It's one I have never heard.

I don't know anything by Christopher Cross, other than Ride Like The Wind, but Acadie is an album I have always loved and was happy to find on CD in Oxfam a couple of years ago.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #191 on: March 25, 2019, 05:24:05 PM »

Holly Days - Denny Laine
and the absolutely splendid Shakespeare Alabama by Diesel Park West
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Austin

« Reply #192 on: March 25, 2019, 06:12:02 PM »

Meddle, The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, A Saucerful of Secrets - Pink Floyd

Prepping for the 90% likely eventuality that I drive to Houston this afternoon for Nick Mason.

Jones Hall is a lovely looking venue in the heart of Houston's theater district, but I'm just not looking forward to the 6-hour round trip drive.  Houston has the worst traffic in Texas, too.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #193 on: March 25, 2019, 07:13:06 PM »

Lots of Scott Walker.

Now be thankful for good things below
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!

Loc: Isle of Skye

...rivers always reach the sea.

« Reply #194 on: March 25, 2019, 07:50:39 PM »

Lots of Scott Walker.

Me too. Just had to listen to ‘No Regrets’ as it reminds me of being introduced to The Walker Brothers as a little girl, when my dad bought a batch of singles being sold off from the local pub Juke Box...that was one of them.

Meminesse sed providere
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #195 on: March 26, 2019, 01:32:35 PM »

A couple of 33p Charity Shop buys I made yesterday, The Dance by Fleetwood Mac, which is apparently one of the biggest selling live albums ever. It's excellent, pop music at it's best from a great band and great singers.
And now it is Rage Against The Machine by RATM, which is OK, but there are many, many rock bands I prefer, which is why I've never bought anything by them hitherto. Killing In The Name is a great track though.
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #196 on: March 26, 2019, 02:39:07 PM »

Did anyone catch the mention of Stackridge during the commentary on the England game last night?  Cheesy

Here it's Scott 2 and Scott 3 on rotation. Songs that I always found truly moving now seem doubly so...

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #197 on: March 26, 2019, 02:59:23 PM »

What I have been listening to the last few days are some new vinyl pickups (and the digital downloads) I picked up at a music fair the other day. First is a delightfully weird album by Tom Ze on the Luaka Bop label called The Hips Of Tradition.

Next is Fakebook by Yo La Tengo. Another wonderfully eclectic collection, with a mention of Fairport!

Followed by fellow Hoboken band The Feelies with their third album Only Life. I love this album. Wonderful crunchy guitars and well crafted songs.

Lastly is Grenades by a newer artist to my ears-Kaia Kater. The album has a lot of her family story in it of coming from the island of Grenada during its tumultuous situation in the 1980's to Canada.

Altogether, along with the JS Ondara's Tales Of America which I am still regularly spinning.  

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
PaulT
Memory jogger
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #198 on: March 26, 2019, 03:10:18 PM »

Did anyone catch the mention of Stackridge during the commentary on the England game last night?  Cheesy

Here it's Scott 2 and Scott 3 on rotation. Songs that I always found truly moving now seem doubly so...

Indeed - Purple Spaceships over Podgorica! I see Smegmakovic didn't make the Montenegro squad, though.  Wink

Said the straight man, to the late man...
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #199 on: March 26, 2019, 08:37:41 PM »

...."you idle talk, smoke rising to the ceilling, the words just seem to float on by, maybe you've had the feeling"

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: