TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
July 16, 2019, 08:16:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 21540 times)
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #160 on: March 06, 2019, 03:37:05 PM »

A friend has been having a clear-out of her cds and has sent me these among others -

Boo Hewerdine - Swimming In Mercury
Reg Meuross - Leaves & Feathers
Dr Faustus - Wager

She reckons that other people do better versions of songs by Boo and Reg than they do themselves but those two discs sound good on first listen.

Listen to my folk & acoustic music shows on Mixcloud
http://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #161 on: March 06, 2019, 06:41:26 PM »

...the new Richard Hawley

Rawk an Roll...  Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9UuZlB8DTA&feature=youtu.be

My partner and I are running the Chester 10k on 10 March to raise money for our local hospice, and to raise awareness of the hospice movement.  Please click on my website for more info.  Thanks.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #162 on: March 06, 2019, 08:00:17 PM »

Rawk an Roll...  Smiley

I watched Funny Cow recently and Richard features in that. Oh ! And Also Kevin Rowland!

The Dude abides
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #163 on: March 06, 2019, 08:54:31 PM »

Rawk an Roll...  Smiley

Loving that track....Coles Corner it certainly ain’t but superb nonetheless  Grin

Born to Run (but not very fast)
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Austin

« Reply #164 on: March 07, 2019, 01:03:32 AM »

The Zombies - Oddessey [sic] and Oracle 50th anniversary edition with bonus tracks (autographed by all four of the surviving original members)

I bought this little jewel from the Zombies official store for $35, complete with the autographs.  The bonus tracks consist of a couple of early takes, an instrumental backing track, a couple of mono versions of album songs, and a remix of Time of the Season.  But in truth, the original album is such a slice of fried gold, I didn't need the extras.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #165 on: March 07, 2019, 08:46:59 AM »

3 Mustaphas 3 - pretty much the entire discography on CD, having not listened to it for 25 years when I bought it on vinyl, and loving every minute. I got a brilliant funny look from a woman waiting to cross the road as I danced in my seat at the traffic lights.

Well I never did..
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #166 on: March 07, 2019, 06:20:21 PM »

3 Mustaphas 3 - pretty much the entire discography on CD, having not listened to it for 25 years when I bought it on vinyl, and loving every minute. I got a brilliant funny look from a woman waiting to cross the road as I danced in my seat at the traffic lights.

Great band.  I only saw them once (at Guildford Folk festival - an early one - if I recall), but they were fun.  One of the band played in a duo with Ian A Anderson and I saw them playing headline to Shelagh McDonald on her return to gigging in London 5 or 6 years ago - they played a few 3M3 songs.

My partner and I are running the Chester 10k on 10 March to raise money for our local hospice, and to raise awareness of the hospice movement.  Please click on my website for more info.  Thanks.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

Omnia ti bi felicia

« Reply #167 on: March 07, 2019, 06:33:45 PM »

Great band.  I only saw them once (at Guildford Folk festival - an early one - if I recall), but they were fun.  One of the band played in a duo with Ian A Anderson and I saw them playing headline to Shelagh McDonald on her return to gigging in London 5 or 6 years ago - they played a few 3M3 songs.

Always fun. Oussack Mustapha morphed into Chopper when he joined the Oysters.  Smiley

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #168 on: March 07, 2019, 06:36:35 PM »

Always fun. Oussack Mustapha morphed into Chopper when he joined the Oysters.  Smiley

God, I'd forgotten that...

PaulT
Memory jogger
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #169 on: March 14, 2019, 10:20:32 AM »

I saw 3M3 at Salisbury Arts Centre - tremendous night  Fez - such a shame that Niaveti and Isfa'ani are no longer with us.  Cry

I've been listening to a selection of Bill Laswell dub/trance stuff online (having just received the new Wobble/Laswell album), and a couple of David Torn/Bill Bruford/Tony Levin CDs.

Said the straight man, to the late man...
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #170 on: March 14, 2019, 08:41:01 PM »

Kickin' Up The Sawdust - Ashley Hutchings. A newly plugged gap in my collection. Not the most essential of his works but pleasant nonetheless.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

Omnia ti bi felicia

« Reply #171 on: March 17, 2019, 03:07:19 PM »

In honour of his recent passing, the first four Jacqes Loussier Trio "Play Bach" discs, perfect, chilled Sunday afternoon fare.  Smiley

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #172 on: March 19, 2019, 09:56:00 AM »

Needing to rest my over-thinking mind today so I'm chilling (in work!) to Gabriel Faure's Requiem  Smiley   it's stunningly beautiful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnilUPXmipM

Wham Bam Thank You Ma'am!
Paul
I've Got A Bike

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #173 on: March 19, 2019, 10:19:58 PM »

Needing to rest my over-thinking mind today so I'm chilling (in work!) to Gabriel Faure's Requiem  Smiley   it's stunningly beautiful

Have you ever sung it? It is wonderful to sing.

Paul

Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #174 on: March 20, 2019, 12:25:07 AM »

Have you ever sung it? It is wonderful to sing.

Paul

We're doing a part of it in the community choir I'm in - it's so moving! each part on its own sounds awful, but when you put it together..... oh! Magnificent Smiley

Wham Bam Thank You Ma'am!
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #175 on: March 20, 2019, 12:30:55 PM »

Ralph McTell & Wizz Jones - About Time which I bought this morning at my local HMV. Also picked up a copy of Bert Jansch's Avocet.

Listen to my folk & acoustic music shows on Mixcloud
http://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
MarkV
sit on a perch and prepare a roach
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Quality control has failed to sift me out.

« Reply #176 on: March 20, 2019, 12:59:28 PM »

over the last few days i have been listening to cd's i bought at the local British Heart Foundation charity shop. All stuff i had not really thought of buying at any point in the past.

So far
Turin Brakes- The optomist
Morcheeba - parts of the process
very best of aerosmith
Cast - all change
Echo belly - on
counting crows - films about a ghost(best of)
Maroon 5 - songs about jane

Still have u2, how to dismantle a bomb, the darkness - permission to land, supertramp -it was the best of times and kings of leon only by night.  
Total cost around £8 some were 50p each or 3 for a pound.  So far i am pleased with all of the ones i have listened too.

O to 62 in sixtytwo years.  Where does the time go?
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #177 on: March 20, 2019, 07:40:23 PM »

Downloaded a few new (to me) albums for my current trip to Central Africa, and I have been enjoying Bruce Cockburn's Live (deluxe edition, with four extra songs from the cassette I used to own), and I'm currently on The Long Ryders Psychedelic Country Soul - it's been said here already, but it really is just as good as their classic albums.  Also had a first listen to The Rails Other People, which is pretty fine too.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Austin

« Reply #178 on: March 20, 2019, 07:57:29 PM »

Roger Daltrey's autobiography, on CD.

I'm up to Kenney Jones' introduction into the band, in which Roger explains that he never said Kenney was a s*** drummer, he just said Kenney was a s*** drummer for The Who, in the same sense Keith would have been a s*** drummer for The Faces.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #179 on: March 20, 2019, 08:54:03 PM »

Roger Daltrey's autobiography, on CD.

I'm up to Kenney Jones' introduction into the band, in which Roger explains that he never said Kenney was a s*** drummer, he just said Kenney was a s*** drummer for The Who, in the same sense Keith would have been a s*** drummer for The Faces.

And, he was right on both counts, wasn't he?

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: