TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
July 16, 2019, 08:16:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 21539 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #140 on: February 25, 2019, 06:27:21 AM »

"New" Who - Woodstock 1969, single CD with the complete performance.  I picked this up at a legit record store, but it appears to be semi-official.  The liner notes are a-historical (e.g., it purports to be an FM broadcast recording, but it has never even been hinted at that the festival was simulcast on FM radio) and unsigned.

It's the complete Woodstock set in FM-quality sound, with a few awkward edits but nothing too offensive.  It includes, immediately after Pinball Wizard, the infamous "This is a pile of s*** while John Sinclair rots in prison!" outburst from Abbie Hoffman, and Pete's off-mike response and subsequent warning for everyone to stay off his stage.

Pretty awesome, altogether.

Can you see this anywhere online?  I can't.  Please post a link if you can, please.  Me want.

Here is the link from Amazon USA - https://www.amazon.com/Woodstock-Festival-1969-WHO/dp/B07KLCVZ1Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1551057625&sr=8-1&keywords=who+woodstock

I didn't see this on Amazon UK, but I saw a streaming product that may be from the same source.

Danke!

My partner and I are running the Chester 10k on 10 March to raise money for our local hospice, and to raise awareness of the hospice movement.  Please click on my website for more info.  Thanks.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #141 on: February 25, 2019, 11:59:56 AM »

I've just taken delivery of the new album by William the Conqueror (Ruarri Joseph's current band) called 'Bleeding on the Soundtrack.' Excellent on first couple of listens, I'll be playing this in the car for a wee while, I suspect.

I was impressed with their 'Proud Disturber of the Peace' album which they released last year. I'll have to check out the new one.

Queen's debut LP was on the turntable earlier this morning after reading about Rami Malek's success at the Oscars.

Listen to my folk & acoustic music shows on Mixcloud
http://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #142 on: February 25, 2019, 02:23:29 PM »

I spent much of the weekend listening to 5 hours of outtakes from Bob Dylan's Infidels album. I have been critical of recent Bootleg Series editions that have offered endless versions of the same song as being overly forensic but insufficiently entertaining. Somehow though this was fascinating and included a terrific song that I have never previously heard called This Was My Love.

I wouldn't want to listen to all of this stuff repeatedly but the case has certainly been made for an entirely different single disc alternative version of Infidels.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #143 on: February 25, 2019, 03:06:18 PM »

I spent much of the weekend listening to 5 hours of outtakes from Bob Dylan's Infidels album. I have been critical of recent Bootleg Series editions that have offered endless versions of the same song as being overly forensic but insufficiently entertaining. Somehow though this was fascinating and included a terrific song that I have never previously heard called This Was My Love.

I wouldn't want to listen to all of this stuff repeatedly but the case has certainly been made for an entirely different single disc alternative version of Infidels.

I love this stuff. Including the song you'd not heard before. There was definitely an even better album in these sessions than the one we got.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Austin

« Reply #144 on: February 25, 2019, 05:51:17 PM »

Roger Daltrey's new lp, on the way home from Barrow in furness, it's really good. Short and sweet.

Now listening to this courtesy of Amazon Music. It really is surprisingly good.

I'm about 1/3 of the way through my first listen to this. RD's vocal gymnastics are as bombastic as ever on the first three songs, but I am pleasantly surprised at how tuneful and enjoyable the tunes are.  His voice is in great form, too.  This bodes well for the projected new 'oo album.
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #145 on: February 25, 2019, 08:31:00 PM »

I've just taken delivery of the new album by William the Conqueror (Ruarri Joseph's current band) called 'Bleeding on the Soundtrack.' Excellent on first couple of listens, I'll be playing this in the car for a wee while, I suspect.

I was impressed with their 'Proud Disturber of the Peace' album which they released last year. I'll have to check out the new one.

Queen's debut LP was on the turntable earlier this morning after reading about Rami Malek's success at the Oscars.

Listening to this - the first I've heard of any Ruarri Joseph's work. I'm enjoying it. His voice is very similar to Greg Cave's.
mickf
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Barry, South Wales

« Reply #146 on: February 26, 2019, 11:01:02 AM »

Listening to this - the first I've heard of any Ruarri Joseph's work. I'm enjoying it. His voice is very similar to Greg Cave's.
His'solo stuff is probably best represented by the albums 'Brother' and 'Both Sides of the Coin'

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #147 on: February 27, 2019, 10:49:50 AM »

Alan Prosser's 5/4 AP. This is the first of Alan's solo albums that I have bought and it is a joy. It is a sort of folk rock version of Dave Brubeck's Time Out. All the songs are in 5/4 time but there still manages to be huge variety.

and Psychedelic Country Soul by The Long Ryders, which continues to delight and satisfy in abundance.
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #148 on: February 27, 2019, 04:54:53 PM »

Danger mouse and Sparklehorse - dark night of the soul I am still unsure whether I prefer it too it's a wonderful life!

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Austin

« Reply #149 on: February 27, 2019, 06:00:41 PM »

Ray LaMontagne - Part of the Light

I finally bought this almost a year after seeing last year's Austin show, which featured most or all of the new album. Beautiful music, very reminiscent of early-mid Pink Floyd in some ways.
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #150 on: February 28, 2019, 10:38:48 PM »

Your Woman by White Town. Bangin' choon! Haven't heard it for 15 years at least. Blimey, the 90s were great for music.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #151 on: March 01, 2019, 08:57:15 AM »

Your Woman by White Town. Bangin' choon! Haven't heard it for 15 years at least. Blimey, the 90s were great for music.
I listen to Absolute 90's a lot - there was some great stuff around then, we must be due a bit of a musical revolution?

Wham Bam Thank You Ma'am!
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #152 on: March 01, 2019, 02:54:11 PM »

Listening to Restitute - Eliza Carthy and it's great to hear that voice, which on this collection of songs is the key instrument. I said elsewhere that Eliza can do no wrong and on the strength of this collection I am proved right. She is at the same time someone who cares and respects the song and puts her own stamp on the material. I can see this getting a serious listening to, over the next few weeks. So far the leaves in the woodland is a the favourite track but I am sure it will change.

mightyglydd

Loc: Hollywood California

« Reply #153 on: March 01, 2019, 03:46:26 PM »

Your Woman by White Town.

Hah! You should listen to Jack FM in LA!  We've been playing it for years.
I don't think any other station plays it here.. great toon!  Smiley
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #154 on: March 01, 2019, 11:51:24 PM »

Listening to Restitute - Eliza Carthy and it's great to hear that voice, which on this collection of songs is the key instrument. I said elsewhere that Eliza can do no wrong and on the strength of this collection I am proved right. She is at the same time someone who cares and respects the song and puts her own stamp on the material. I can see this getting a serious listening to, over the next few weeks. So far the leaves in the woodland is a the favourite track but I am sure it will change.

When you consider how much talent and creativity she has it seems so unfair that people in the mainstream arena with little real talent or originality are set for a life of indulgence. Perhaps Eliza is happy with her lot but she desaerves so much more.
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #155 on: March 02, 2019, 12:34:58 AM »

When you consider how much talent and creativity she has it seems so unfair that people in the mainstream arena with little real talent or originality are set for a life of indulgence. Perhaps Eliza is happy with her lot but she desaerves so much more.
talent and creativity don't necessarily equate getting your reward nor does hard work or decency we all just get our lot we don't have to accept it.

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #156 on: March 02, 2019, 11:37:31 AM »

Spirit - a beautiful album of acoustic country/folk with a slight hint of traditional Mexican music by Willie Nelson.

Nelson's discography is so vast, variable and bewildering that it is pretty much impossible for a late starter like me to take in all of it so I have been cherry picking what appear to be the highlights. So far that has led me to the following albums:

Yesterday's Wine
Shotgun Willie
The Red Headed Stranger
Stardust
Across The Borderline
Spirit
Teatro
Band of Brothers

I also have Phases & Stages on the way and I have my eye on three from his recent career, Country Music (produced by T Bone Burnett), God's Problem Child & Last Man Standing.

It is country music but with a total absence of Nashville schmaltz, raw & gritty and I have fallen for it and for Nelson's voice in a big way.
mightyglydd

Loc: Hollywood California

« Reply #157 on: March 02, 2019, 04:29:34 PM »

White Town - Your Woman 1917.

Jyoti Mishra.... "To celebrate TWENTY YEARS since the original charted around the world, here's a version that would have sounded pretty sweet 100 years ago. Enjoy!"

Nice ! Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QVIjNquTJU&feature=youtu.be
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #158 on: March 04, 2019, 12:07:07 PM »

Your Woman by White Town.

Hah! You should listen to Jack FM in LA!  We've been playing it for years.
I don't think any other station plays it here.. great toon!  Smiley

If I lived in LA I would probably listen.  Cool
In Shropshire, difficult to find music radio I like.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #159 on: March 05, 2019, 05:16:46 AM »

J.S. Ondara-American Tales. Heard a lot of buzz around this new album and decided to pick up the vinyl. I’m glad I did. A unique voice and songs and approach that bear repeat listening. Recommended enthusiastically

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: