TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
September 23, 2019, 09:41:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 34463 times)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #120 on: February 21, 2019, 10:12:10 AM »

it would seem I'm the only person willing to share my listening with you!

Continuing with my quest to get familiar with all the acts at Cropredy, I started with Lil Jim - who was Ok but I got bored after 2 tracks so I tried The Waterboys but also got a bit bored with them (sorry - I know there are some big fans in TAWland). I let YouTube select for me next and was delighted with Robert Plant's "Big Log", then ELP "From the Beginning", Neil Young "Cortez the Killer" and I'm now on CSNY "Wooden Ships". So I think I shall stay in the California of the 1970s for the rest of the day! Love and peace to you all  Kiss

Confusion will be my epitaph
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #121 on: February 21, 2019, 02:29:57 PM »

Out today in the mobile listening station, which seems to have taken on a bit of a penchant for JJ Cale, Johns Prine and Hiatt, and Hayes Carll, whose ‘Another Like You’ is a right old redneck romp. It also threw me the peerless ‘Sailin’ Shoes/Hey Julia/Sneaking Sally Through the Alley’ medley by Robert Palmer. If there’s anyone looking to mind bleach all that ‘Addicted to Love’ nonsense, ‘Through It All There’s You’ from the same album should do the trick.

Just found out the wasp I killed yesterday was a wasp cop who was too old for this s**t and only one week away from retirement. Feel awful.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #122 on: February 21, 2019, 03:24:02 PM »

Continuing with my quest to get familiar with all the acts at Cropredy, I started with Lil Jim - who was Ok but I got bored after 2 tracks so I tried The Waterboys but also got a bit bored with them (sorry - I know there are some big fans in TAWland). I let YouTube select for me next and was delighted with Robert Plant's "Big Log", then ELP "From the Beginning", Neil Young "Cortez the Killer" and I'm now on CSNY "Wooden Ships". So I think I shall stay in the California of the 1970s for the rest of the day! Love and peace to you all  Kiss

What did you listen to Bridg? Even the diehard fans amongst us would admit that not everything they touch is gold.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #123 on: February 22, 2019, 08:22:18 AM »

What did you listen to Bridg? Even the diehard fans amongst us would admit that not everything they touch is gold.
Fisherman's Blues. It was Ok but I find his very distinctive voice tends to make all songs sound the same. I'm going to give "This Is The Sea" a go now, just as soon as I've caught up with The Archers....  Smiley

Confusion will be my epitaph
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #124 on: February 22, 2019, 11:27:32 AM »

Fisherman's Blues. It was Ok but I find his very distinctive voice tends to make all songs sound the same. I'm going to give "This Is The Sea" a go now, just as soon as I've caught up with The Archers....  Smiley

Ah OK. I suspect that if you didn't enjoy Fisherman's Blues, the Waterboys may not be for you though I do recommend that you give Modern Blues a go. It is more representative of the current band and is terrific imho.

Meanwhile I am letting out my inner redneck with a country tinged playlist; Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Steve Earle, Guy Clark, Townes Van Zant, Michael Nesmith, The Flying Burrito Bros, Roseanne Cash, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Shawn Colvin, Emmylou Harris, John Prine, Lyle Lovett, Joe Ely, Be Good Tanyas, Lucinda Williams, kd lang, Gene Clark, The Mastersons, Truckstop Honeymoon, Poco, Common Linnets, The Mavericks & Glen Campbell.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #125 on: February 22, 2019, 01:36:01 PM »

The Reverie Road by Mikey Kenney. I know Mikey from his Lancaster days when he fronted the alt-folk band Ottersgear. He moved down to Liverpool a few years back and keeps himself busy gigging locally and around the country. He's out on the road just now and supported Jamie Smith's Mabon at their recent gig in Bury.

Have a listen here - https://ottersgear.bandcamp.com/album/the-reverie-road

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/GingerfeatherFM/
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #126 on: February 22, 2019, 02:09:11 PM »

Ah OK. I suspect that if you didn't enjoy Fisherman's Blues, the Waterboys may not be for you though I do recommend that you give Modern Blues a go. It is more representative of the current band and is terrific imho.

Meanwhile I am letting out my inner redneck with a country tinged playlist; Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Steve Earle, Guy Clark, Townes Van Zant, Michael Nesmith, The Flying Burrito Bros, Roseanne Cash, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Shawn Colvin, Emmylou Harris, John Prine, Lyle Lovett, Joe Ely, Be Good Tanyas, Lucinda Williams, kd lang, Gene Clark, The Mastersons, Truckstop Honeymoon, Poco, Common Linnets, The Mavericks & Glen Campbell.

Intrigued by that playlist, and especially always curious to hear what Johnny Cash and Rosanne Cash gets onto a playlist!. That's a reminder that I need to get Rosanne's newest.

Here I seem to be in a bit of a Canadian folk loop the last few days, with lots of music from the maritimes-Great Big Sea, The Rankin Family, Bruce Guthro, Natalie MacMaster, Ashley MacIsaac and Stan Rogers

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #127 on: February 22, 2019, 03:29:36 PM »

Galahad When Worlds Collide.  A 30 year retrospective of (mainly) re-recorded tracks.  I hadn't heard them before, but they are pretty good, if you like a bit of prog.  Occasional hints of classic Marillion/Fish in the singer's voice, and some nods to classic prog bands in the arrangements.

Before that, it was Plainsong's Reinventing Richard, Jude's Earth Is Sleeping, and False Lights' Salvor.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #128 on: February 22, 2019, 03:34:08 PM »

Intrigued by that playlist, and especially always curious to hear what Johnny Cash and Rosanne Cash gets onto a playlist!. That's a reminder that I need to get Rosanne's newest.

Late period in both cases. One and A Feather's Not A Bird respectively.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Austin

« Reply #129 on: February 22, 2019, 05:33:55 PM »

G.P./Grievous Angel 2-albums-on-1-CD - Gram Parsons, with a heavy dose of Emmylou Harris.

Wonderful stuff. I must say, his voice seems to have been faltering by the time he recorded Grievous Angel. The song selection, musicianship, and Emmylou are, however, flawless.  "Love Hurts" is worth the price of admission, as well as a faux-live cover of "Hickory Wind" from Sweetheart of the Rodeo.

Quick aside - GP introduces "Hickory Wind" as an "oldie," which makes me laugh because only 5 years had elapsed since SOTR.  It reminded me of a Hendrix bootleg I heard from Fort Worth in 1968, in which he complains from the stage about having to play "old" songs from only one and two years before.  "Next is a tune we wrote in 1866..."

Paul B

« Reply #130 on: February 22, 2019, 06:33:15 PM »

Has anyone heard the new Bob Mould CD "Sunshine Rock"? It's getting some reviews which claim it's excellent
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #131 on: February 22, 2019, 07:03:12 PM »

Has anyone heard the new Bob Mould CD "Sunshine Rock"? It's getting some reviews which claim it's excellent

Yes.  Trying it out for size on Spotify.  It's a little one dimensional for me (another way of saying it's got a very cohesive sound structure), and his voice shows some evidence of being as shot as it sounds live.  But it is hard to dislike.  Strings!  A sort of 7/10 for me, edging higher. Not even close to his greatest efforts, but a decent late period album.  I'll be picking it up if I see it around....  [Update:  there are a couple of corkers on there, mind: Thirty Dozen Roses is one of them, I Fought another...]

ps I'm missing Grant.  I love his solo work.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 07:17:10 PM by davidmjs » Logged

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« Reply #132 on: February 23, 2019, 05:15:02 PM »

Yes.  Trying it out for size on Spotify.  It's a little one dimensional for me (another way of saying it's got a very cohesive sound structure), and his voice shows some evidence of being as shot as it sounds live.  But it is hard to dislike.  Strings!  A sort of 7/10 for me, edging higher. Not even close to his greatest efforts, but a decent late period album.  I'll be picking it up if I see it around....  [Update:  there are a couple of corkers on there, mind: Thirty Dozen Roses is one of them, I Fought another...]

ps I'm missing Grant.  I love his solo work.

Have you had any problems with Spotify not playing songs recently? Mine suddenly stopped last weekend, only solution was to install an old version of Spotify!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #133 on: February 23, 2019, 08:01:00 PM »

Have you had any problems with Spotify not playing songs recently? Mine suddenly stopped last weekend, only solution was to install an old version of Spotify!

Honest (and unhelpful) answer:  nope, sorry...

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
mightyglydd

Loc: Hollywood California

« Reply #134 on: February 23, 2019, 10:01:36 PM »

On a Lap/Desktop use the Spotify Web Player ?

https://open.spotify.com/browse/featured

I uninstalled that other intrusive piece of ****ware long ago.
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #135 on: February 24, 2019, 02:47:20 AM »

"New" Who - Woodstock 1969, single CD with the complete performance.  I picked this up at a legit record store, but it appears to be semi-official.  The liner notes are a-historical (e.g., it purports to be an FM broadcast recording, but it has never even been hinted at that the festival was simulcast on FM radio) and unsigned.

It's the complete Woodstock set in FM-quality sound, with a few awkward edits but nothing too offensive.  It includes, immediately after Pinball Wizard, the infamous "This is a pile of s*** while John Sinclair rots in prison!" outburst from Abbie Hoffman, and Pete's off-mike response and subsequent warning for everyone to stay off his stage.

Pretty awesome, altogether.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #136 on: February 24, 2019, 07:31:20 AM »

"New" Who - Woodstock 1969, single CD with the complete performance.  I picked this up at a legit record store, but it appears to be semi-official.  The liner notes are a-historical (e.g., it purports to be an FM broadcast recording, but it has never even been hinted at that the festival was simulcast on FM radio) and unsigned.

It's the complete Woodstock set in FM-quality sound, with a few awkward edits but nothing too offensive.  It includes, immediately after Pinball Wizard, the infamous "This is a pile of s*** while John Sinclair rots in prison!" outburst from Abbie Hoffman, and Pete's off-mike response and subsequent warning for everyone to stay off his stage.

Can you see this anywhere online?  I can't.  Please post a link if you can, please.  Me want.

Dan O.
I was the face of 2001
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #137 on: February 24, 2019, 08:42:01 AM »

Yes, I refer you to my own post in this very thread dated February 8th :

"First listen to "Sunshine Rock", the new album from Bob Mould (released today !)...sticking very much to the formula (loud guitars, razor sharp melodies), but when the formula is this magnificent, why mess with it ?

Bob rocks with more energy and intensity than some guys less than half his 58 years. If only the likes of Dave Grohl could come up with music a quarter as good as this..."
mickf
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Barry, South Wales

« Reply #138 on: February 24, 2019, 11:33:34 AM »

I've just taken delivery of the new album by William the Conqueror (Ruarri Joseph's current band) called 'Bleeding on the Soundtrack.' Excellent on first couple of listens, I'll be playing this in the car for a wee while, I suspect.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #139 on: February 25, 2019, 01:21:30 AM »

Can you see this anywhere online?  I can't.  Please post a link if you can, please.  Me want.

Here is the link from Amazon USA - https://www.amazon.com/Woodstock-Festival-1969-WHO/dp/B07KLCVZ1Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1551057625&sr=8-1&keywords=who+woodstock

I didn't see this on Amazon UK, but I saw a streaming product that may be from the same source.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: