TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 31, 2020, 05:15:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 70   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 120445 times)
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #1140 on: April 01, 2020, 02:52:08 PM »

One thing all this isolation and working from home has done is to force me to go deep into my collection and I have been having long marathons of various artists. Starting with the first album and working my way through all of them. During the day that tends to be quieter stuff suitable for working. So yesterday and this morning I have been listening to Kathryn Tickell. Too many albums to name individually, but it reminded me of the time I saw her performing just outside New York City at a great little club called The Turning Point. Seen many people there over the years, including Fairport, Martin Carthy, and Ralph McTell. This particular time was a sweltering summer day, and Kathryn was doing a solo set in support of Maddy Prior. Between sets we had a lovely conversation and she gave me a more detailed lesson in the workings of the Northumbrian pipes and why they get that distinctive sound. She signed a CD for me and then came out again later with Maddy, who was accompanied by Troy Donockley and someone else (forget his name). Kathryn joined Donockley for a song. He on the uilleann pipes, her on Northumbrian. Absolutely fascinating contrast. A good memory I had actually forgotten about until playing this marathon of her albums!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #1141 on: April 01, 2020, 04:17:54 PM »

Crown of Creation by Jefferson Airplane, a mere 52 years old. Don't their voices soar.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #1142 on: April 01, 2020, 04:39:59 PM »

One thing all this isolation and working from home has done is to force me to go deep into my collection and I have been having long marathons of various artists. Starting with the first album and working my way through all of them. During the day that tends to be quieter stuff suitable for working. So yesterday and this morning I have been listening to Kathryn Tickell. Too many albums to name individually, but it reminded me of the time I saw her performing just outside New York City at a great little club called The Turning Point. Seen many people there over the years, including Fairport, Martin Carthy, and Ralph McTell. This particular time was a sweltering summer day, and Kathryn was doing a solo set in support of Maddy Prior. Between sets we had a lovely conversation and she gave me a more detailed lesson in the workings of the Northumbrian pipes and why they get that distinctive sound. She signed a CD for me and then came out again later with Maddy, who was accompanied by Troy Donockley and someone else (forget his name). Kathryn joined Donockley for a song. He on the uilleann pipes, her on Northumbrian. Absolutely fascinating contrast. A good memory I had actually forgotten about until playing this marathon of her albums!

Lovely to read this. I saw Kathryn do a support spot at Sidmouth festival when she was about 16 and it made an indelible mark. A great musician.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #1143 on: April 01, 2020, 05:27:04 PM »

Lovely to read this. I saw Kathryn do a support spot at Sidmouth festival when she was about 16 and it made an indelible mark. A great musician.

Absolutely. Her pipes playing at times borders on classical music. I know she has dabbled in that area, but it comes out sometimes on her albums. Not to forget that she is also a pretty great fiddle player too.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Bedding down in Bridport for a few months

« Reply #1144 on: April 01, 2020, 06:04:04 PM »

Crown of Creation by Jefferson Airplane, a mere 52 years old. Don't their voices soar.

One of the few bands (and almost exactly contemporary, plus of course the different singer on the debut etc.) with a first 5 (Takes Off, Pillow, Baxters, Crown, Volunteers) which matches Fairport's....all of them classics.

If you know of a nice property to rent in 'Mid Wales' (Powys really, possibly Ceredigion/Monmouthshire) for a year from Aug 2020 do please drop me a line.  Many thanks!
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #1145 on: April 01, 2020, 06:35:17 PM »

One of the few bands (and almost exactly contemporary, plus of course the different singer on the debut etc.) with a first 5 (Takes Off, Pillow, Baxters, Crown, Volunteers) which matches Fairport's....all of them classics.

JA and Fc were my regulars in those days, when I didn't have Eclection on repeat! I got the Ignition box out to play Crown so 3 others are lying in waiting.

John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1146 on: April 01, 2020, 08:16:52 PM »

JA and Fc were my regulars in those days, when I didn't have Eclection on repeat! I got the Ignition box out to play Crown so 3 others are lying in waiting.

I recently re-watched Monterey Pop, and it includes a smoking version of High Flying Bird.
sliprigilio (Al)
Benzeenees

Loc: Cornwall

« Reply #1147 on: April 01, 2020, 09:03:51 PM »

But you're missing the absolute classic live album 'Bless its Pointed Little Head'!  That's the one that got me into the Airplane big time!  Cool

Cheers,

Slippy Shocked
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #1148 on: April 01, 2020, 10:07:10 PM »

But you're missing the absolute classic live album 'Bless its Pointed Little Head'!  That's the one that got me into the Airplane big time!  Cool

Cheers,

Slippy Shocked
Classic album but not in the first five. I've got the vinyl but it's not in my box set. Jack and Jorma  were/are amazing.ś

PaulT
Memory jogger
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1149 on: April 02, 2020, 08:13:54 AM »

I had a vinyl "Bless" - probably the thinnest record I ever owned, almost a flexi-disc.  I guess I should get round to buying the (expanded) CD, though I've seen a review that rates another live album (Sweeping up the Spotlight) as much better...

Said the straight man, to the late man...
sliprigilio (Al)
Benzeenees

Loc: Cornwall

« Reply #1150 on: April 02, 2020, 09:23:05 AM »

I had a vinyl "Bless" - probably the thinnest record I ever owned, almost a flexi-disc.  I guess I should get round to buying the (expanded) CD, though I've seen a review that rates another live album (Sweeping up the Spotlight) as much better...

Hi Paul

'Sweeping..' os OK but NO WAY is it superior to 'Bless Its...'. I've also got a vinyl 'More Head' Roll Eyes which expands on the original...

Cheers,

Slippy  Cool
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #1151 on: April 02, 2020, 10:13:25 AM »

Started this morning with some Rainbow, to clear my ears out - Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow and Rising, which were two of the first records I bought for myself, in a double album edition of the two of them together.

Now slowing things down again with Van Morrison's Avalon Sunset, which is one of those albums with no bad tracks on it, and some exceptional ones.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #1152 on: April 02, 2020, 11:11:48 AM »

Now slowing things down again with Van Morrison's Avalon Sunset, which is one of those albums with no bad tracks on it, and some exceptional ones.

Coney Island and Orangefield are two of my favourites from that album.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #1153 on: April 02, 2020, 12:01:02 PM »

A suitable one for these indoor times -

RT - Front Parlour Ballads

Miss Patsy was a track I played on my very first radio show on Diversity FM way back when. Still a favourite RT song. These lines always make me smile...

"I've been hanging out with some virtuous people
They emptied my bank account twice"

Smiley

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1154 on: April 02, 2020, 12:41:14 PM »

Coney Island and Orangefield are two of my favourites from that album.

always make me want some potted shrimps Cheesy

The Dude abides
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1155 on: April 03, 2020, 09:41:54 AM »

Sandy Denny :  The BBC Sessions 1973-75  (Strange Fruit CD, 1997).
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1156 on: April 03, 2020, 10:05:39 AM »

Before the boxed set was released, that CD used to swap hands for BIG money.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Bedding down in Bridport for a few months

« Reply #1157 on: April 03, 2020, 10:20:48 AM »

Jules

I still can't over the 'value' of the big Sandy box these days...and it actually fetches those sums.

If you know of a nice property to rent in 'Mid Wales' (Powys really, possibly Ceredigion/Monmouthshire) for a year from Aug 2020 do please drop me a line.  Many thanks!
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #1158 on: April 03, 2020, 10:35:13 AM »

Jules

I bought it when it came out, and couldn't believe how much it was going for. The current prices on Discogs are between 40 and 75 quid. Oddly the prices for the box vary by about the same.

Well I never did..
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not Perfect. Never Claimed To Be.

« Reply #1159 on: April 03, 2020, 11:02:10 AM »

Tears For Fears - Sowing The Seeds Of Love.

It has stood the test of time stoically.

See this album  for a selection of my photos from 2010-2019.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 70   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: