TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
July 20, 2019, 09:32:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 22186 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« on: January 13, 2019, 09:22:06 PM »

Thanks for that, ol' pal.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 04:42:55 PM »

New boxset purchased last night. Stevie Wonder's At The Close Of A Century. Fantastic stuff and some fabulous photos in the booklet.

Sounds interesting. Is it a live album?

Career overview anthology I believe.

Sorry for the late response. Yes, Al is correct. I have a shorter single disc Stevie career retrospective, but this is much more inclusive of hits and strong material that one overlooked. Not sure I ever heard his rendition of We Can Work It Out before!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 05:31:11 PM »

Not sure I ever heard his rendition of We Can Work It Out before!

No collection of Beatles covers that don't suck is complete without it.

Jules

blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 07:01:22 PM »

Been listening to some mid 80's Peel shows and he opened one with a live Neil Young Cortez The Killer live track which lasted just about the length of my commute (30 plus minutes), he said it was from 1975 but not from which album and I can't source it - any ideas?
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 07:24:26 PM »

Been listening to some mid 80's Peel shows and he opened one with a live Neil Young Cortez The Killer live track which lasted just about the length of my commute (30 plus minutes), he said it was from 1975 but not from which album and I can't source it - any ideas?
I just did a search in Spotify for the song - I'm amazed at how many groups I've never heard of covered it! Anyways, the closest in length would be a cover by some group called Built To Spill on a 2000 album called Live - its length was 20:30.
Nothing longer than 10:00 shows up for Neil - that was on Weld (Live).

Edit: Of course, longer versions exist, such as this one
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 07:25:19 PM »

The studio version is from 1975, and not that long.

The only 70s live version I can think of was from Live Rust, and that's not long enough either.

*shrugs*

Jules

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 07:32:01 PM »

According to this site, the longest ever Cortez was 22 minutes long, and from 2001, and it hasn't had an official release:
http://neilyoungnews.thrasherswheat.org/2012/09/perhaps-longest-version-of-cortez.html

Either your commute was shorter than usual, or you heard Neil play a different song (or more than one song).

Jules

blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 07:45:57 PM »

According to this site, the longest ever Cortez was 22 minutes long, and from 2001, and it hasn't had an official release:
http://neilyoungnews.thrasherswheat.org/2012/09/perhaps-longest-version-of-cortez.html

Either your commute was shorter than usual, or you heard Neil play a different song (or more than one song).

Jules

Thanks both, the recording of the programme misses the start of the track but it then runs for more than 25 minutes with countless guitar solos. The first Peel sessions had just been released on cassette on (his?) Strange Fruit label and he's running a competition for five sets to be won with the criteria that people can only enter in they can name the first and last tracks from the programmes all that week and the Cortez track was the first one  this show. He also says that he'd seen him in concert the previous Friday in London and the first half was awful with him warming up in the second? Unfortunately the downloads are not from a reputable source so may have been doctored?
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 07:51:34 PM »

That was the youtube link I posted.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 09:54:51 PM »

That was the youtube link I posted.

Ah. Don't think you'd added it when I was replying, Bob.

Jules

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 09:56:53 PM »

Thanks both, the recording of the programme misses the start of the track but it then runs for more than 25 minutes with countless guitar solos. The first Peel sessions had just been released on cassette on (his?) Strange Fruit label and he's running a competition for five sets to be won with the criteria that people can only enter in they can name the first and last tracks from the programmes all that week and the Cortez track was the first one  this show. He also says that he'd seen him in concert the previous Friday in London and the first half was awful with him warming up in the second? Unfortunately the downloads are not from a reputable source so may have been doctored?

There's definitely something queer going down, because no such recording exists to my knowledge.

Jules

mickf
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Barry, South Wales

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 11:23:54 AM »

has its heart in the right place but its foot in its mouth.

This has to be one of my favourite quotes - don't know why, it just tickled me Grin

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxfordshire

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 07:38:12 PM »

Focus 11.

Absolutely love this current lineup.

Thijs van Leer- Piano, Organ, Vocals & Flute.
Pierre van der Linden- Drums.
Menno Gootjes- Guitars.
Udo Pannekeet- Bass.

Track (1) Who's Calling ? and several others stand up brilliantly to anything on Focus 1, 2, and 3.

Here is a recent live version of Sylvia (Starts at about 1 min 50 secs).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNRjYfHZWyk
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 10:21:35 AM »

Timeless: A Tribute to Hank Williams - Various Artists

I picked this up cheaply primarily for the Bob Dylan track but it is really splendid. In particular there is a wonderful cover of I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry by Keb Mo. I am ashamed to say that I am unfamiliar with Mr Mo but would like to hear more. Does anyone have any recommendations?
mickf
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Barry, South Wales

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 11:09:53 AM »

Having another eclectic sort of day.

Mott the Hoople 'The Island Years'
Rosie Thomas 'When We Were Small'
Rick Wakeman 'Piano Odyssey'
and I'm just about to listen to Steeleye Span 'Dodgy Bastards'

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2019, 11:29:33 AM »

Well Worn Path - Seth Lakeman

I have not yet got around to buying Seth's previous album but I was enticed into this one by the promise of a "proper" folk-rock album. It isn't really. There are a few good songs here but also a number which are not especially distinguishable from previous work, for which the album title is all too apt.

Don't get me wrong. I like Seth. I was a very early champion of his work after seeing him perform with John Jones and Benji Kirkpatrick long before Kitty Jay made it on to most people's radar. He is a terrific live performer but I fear that beyond his first two or three records, his limited musical palette and songwriting style does not sustain entire albums. He has become an artist best appreciated in short bursts, at least on record.
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!

I'm a llama!

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2019, 01:51:15 PM »

On a Storytellers Night - Magnum. Perfect pop/rock, and they deserved a lot more commercial success than they achieved. Songs like Two Hearts and Steal your Heart could have been massive FM hits!
PaulT
Memory jogger
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2019, 03:54:45 PM »

Jan Garbarek - Rites, bought from Oxfam in Cirencester for 4 quid. 1st disc is really good, but reviewers seem to think cd2 is better. That'll be played next.

Said the straight man, to the late man...
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2019, 05:34:14 PM »

On a Storytellers Night - Magnum. Perfect pop/rock, and they deserved a lot more commercial success than they achieved. Songs like Two Hearts and Steal your Heart could have been massive FM hits!

That is a great album!  I bought it when it first came out, and then found the CD a few weeks ago in Oxfam, and have enjoyed it all over again!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2019, 05:39:29 PM »

That is a great album!  I bought it when it first came out, and then found the CD a few weeks ago in Oxfam, and have enjoyed it all over again!

Weird...I found myself spotifying this the other day and thought it still stands up in its own way.  I saw them in '84-5 a couple of times...once at the Marquee.  They were a decent little outfit.

My partner and I are running the Chester 10k on 10 March to raise money for our local hospice, and to raise awareness of the hospice movement.  Please click on my website for more info.  Thanks.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: