TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:32:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 27   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming releases of interest  (Read 139484 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #220 on: September 28, 2021, 04:52:53 PM »

It's a film, but it looks like it will be well worth a watch...new documentary on Karen Dalton

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/sep/27/karen-dalton-folk-singer-documentary

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of her before the article☹️

Listen to this, Jim:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsYHN7eCCtU

Jules

And if this doesn't get you, nothing will....

By the way, fans of Mayans MC (Sons of Anarchy spin off) may recognise the tune...it plays a big part in S3E4.  I'll be honest and say and I only know this is retrospect.  Knew I knew the tune, mind but it was only a day or two later I remembered what it was.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #221 on: September 29, 2021, 12:09:35 AM »

Thanks chaps, the  Billie Holliday analogy was spot on!
Amazon music have six or seven albums of hers on the site to be explored
She does a cover of “Ribbon Bow” on one of them “Katie Cruel”, it’s very different from the FC version with our own dearly departed Jude

The Dude abides
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #222 on: September 29, 2021, 03:48:56 AM »

Jethro Tull's Benefit gets the hard back book set treatment finally.

If you like these things, you can pre-order from Burning Shed for a reasonable price before it goes the way of the other ones and turns into a three figure sum.

Well I never did..
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #223 on: September 29, 2021, 07:57:56 AM »

If you like these things, you can pre-order from Burning Shed for a reasonable price before it goes the way of the other ones and turns into a three figure sum.

Thanks for that.  My fave Tull album by quite some distance - so have pressed the button.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #224 on: September 29, 2021, 12:18:00 PM »

Thanks for that.  My fave Tull album by quite some distance - so have pressed the button.

My pleasure.
I'd go for Songs From The Wood as my top vote, but Benefit would be second. That and the singles from around that period was a creative peak for them for sure.

Well I never did..
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #225 on: September 29, 2021, 12:22:46 PM »

My pleasure.
I'd go for Songs From The Wood as my top vote, but Benefit would be second. That and the singles from around that period was a creative peak for them for sure.

Was just looking at the prices!  Mindblowing.  Wish I'd paid more attention and got the lot....

Paul B

« Reply #226 on: October 06, 2021, 08:11:29 AM »

This looks good value for Dylan Project fans

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/steve-gibbons-band-rollin-the-albums-1976-1978-5cd-remastered-expanded-box-set/?mc_cid=f32d7c5d03&mc_eid=566af83acc
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #227 on: October 06, 2021, 10:03:55 AM »

I loved the Steve Gibbons Band. I think the live one 'Caught in the Act' is a great album, particularly the opener 'Watching the River Flow' and of course the live version of 'Tulane'

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #228 on: October 12, 2021, 04:17:01 PM »

New Michael Hurley...The Time of the Foxgloves...just in time for his 80th  Smiley

https://michaelhurley.bandcamp.com/releases

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #229 on: October 19, 2021, 01:43:10 PM »

A nice Sea Power piece (BSP as was) focusing on the name change/new album (although it's not out til Feb)... https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/oct/19/sea-power-changed-name-british-album-nature-parents

PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #230 on: October 26, 2021, 11:34:52 AM »

http://www.angelair.co.uk/?tcp_product=stackridge-50-recordings-1971-2021

50 track box set of Stackridge recordings from 1971 - 2021.

All good stuff and under £15 for the lot.

Spotted it on sale in HMV (Bristol) for £25!!  Or mp3 download from *m*z*n at £7.99.....

A pity they didn't spend a little more than a quid on the cover.  Just dreadful.  Not a bad introductory compilation, mind....

Angel Air release some great stuff generally , but they could make more effort with sleeve art.

When I spoke to Mutter a few weeks ago, he said Andy Davis was choosing the tracks and there were some different live versions of things - I am bit disappointed that Angel Air have not given a bit more information in their listing about that. Not sure if it comes with a booklet or not either.

I don't have the set but I suspect that any live tracks come from the two live albums that Angel Air has the rights too, The Forbidden City and The Final Bow. In particular I notice that all of the A Victory For Common Sense tracks come from the latter as Angel Air does not have the rights to the final studio album.

Flobbadob!
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #231 on: November 05, 2021, 03:20:03 PM »

Apparently the Jethro Tull Broadsword and the Beast boxed set (due for release next year) may contain up to 40 tracks from those sessions, of which 15 or so have never seen the light of day.

I’ve a real soft spot for Broadsword, and some of the session tracks that have been released already are fantastic (Jack frost and the hooded crow, Jack-a-Lynn, etc). Very high hopes!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #232 on: November 05, 2021, 03:50:26 PM »

Apparently the Jethro Tull Broadsword and the Beast boxed set (due for release next year) may contain up to 40 tracks from those sessions, of which 15 or so have never seen the light of day.

I’ve a real soft spot for Broadsword, and some of the session tracks that have been released already are fantastic (Jack frost and the hooded crow, Jack-a-Lynn, etc). Very high hopes!

That was the new album as I became a fan so I too am interested.  The session tracks I've heard sound much better than the finished album (imho).

Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #233 on: November 05, 2021, 04:03:08 PM »

An all new Jethro Tull album is out soon, apparently.

Not of interest  to me, being  a pre 1975 Tull listener, but I know there are Tull die hards amongst you.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #234 on: November 05, 2021, 04:03:39 PM »

That was the new album as I became a fan so I too am interested.  The session tracks I've heard sound much better than the finished album (imho).

Me too.  I'm looking forward to seeing what is included, as I love that album.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Paul B

« Reply #235 on: November 10, 2021, 10:29:04 AM »

Would be very interested in what TAW's think about this box set as I've not really listened to anything by Spriguns

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/mandy-morton-spriguns-after-the-storm-complete-recordings-6cd-dvd-box-set/?mc_cid=0a74374bf9&mc_eid=566af83acc

Reading about them seems Tim Hart produced and Robert Kirby arranged some of their tracks so might be on my "to buy" list
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #236 on: November 10, 2021, 02:09:16 PM »

The Cockfields.

Very funny and so well observed about family dynamics. Beautifully performed by a stellar cast and gorgeous Isle of Wight scenery too.
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #237 on: November 10, 2021, 02:59:44 PM »

Would be very interested in what TAW's think about this box set as I've not really listened to anything by Spriguns

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/mandy-morton-spriguns-after-the-storm-complete-recordings-6cd-dvd-box-set/?mc_cid=0a74374bf9&mc_eid=566af83acc

Reading about them seems Tim Hart produced and Robert Kirby arranged some of their tracks so might be on my "to buy" list

I'm a fan of Spriguns. It's folk-rock but like all the best bands in that genre, they don't quite sound like anybody else. Looks like an excellent value set.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #238 on: November 10, 2021, 05:34:23 PM »

The Cockfields.

Very funny and so well observed about family dynamics. Beautifully performed by a stellar cast and gorgeous Isle of Wight scenery too.

Sorry, that was meant for the I'm Watching thread.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #239 on: November 10, 2021, 06:19:25 PM »

I'm a fan of Spriguns. It's folk-rock but like all the best bands in that genre, they don't quite sound like anybody else. Looks like an excellent value set.

I'm definitely in for that.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 27   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: