TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:42:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 27   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming releases of interest  (Read 139544 times)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #140 on: July 22, 2021, 09:03:06 AM »

This could be interesting – an expanded edition of the Affinity album
https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/affinity-affinity-4cd-remastered-expanded-box-set/

Angel Air put out almost all of this stuff a few years back, so there's not really a lot we haven't heard before, but what the hell I'm in for it.  Grin

Pretty much what I was thinking . I took out my copy of Affinity: Affinity (Angel Air, 2002) for a listen last night. It's well bolstered with bonus stuff, and there was another disc of unreleased material  also from Angel Air, iirc.
Cherry Red seem to do this sort of thing well, on the whole.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #141 on: July 24, 2021, 03:00:26 PM »

One or two may be interested in a new Korgis album https://thekorgis.com/kartoon-world-sales

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #142 on: July 24, 2021, 03:57:17 PM »

Nice. Proper pop songs. Think I'll get this...

Flobbadob!
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #143 on: July 25, 2021, 10:08:36 AM »

One or two may be interested in a new Korgis album https://thekorgis.com/kartoon-world-sales

Mine turned up a couple of days ago and I was listening last night. Need to listen again but it sounds like a strong set. I have long been a fan of The Korgis and James Warren in general. To me this is reminiscent of a peak period 10cc album, which is high praise indeed.
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #144 on: July 25, 2021, 11:27:58 PM »

On the subject of James Warren, I bumped into my buddy Mutter Slater this afternoon who told me they are releasing a new Stackridge compilation  soon  - 3 discs apparently and not all remasteredl studio but some live stuff.  Hopefully some good stuff.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #145 on: July 26, 2021, 07:58:41 AM »

On the subject of James Warren, I bumped into my buddy Mutter Slater this afternoon who told me they are releasing a new Stackridge compilation  soon  - 3 discs apparently and not all remasteredl studio but some live stuff.  Hopefully some good stuff.

That is good news.  He plays fairly regularly in Bridport, doesn't he?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #146 on: July 26, 2021, 08:41:07 AM »

Yes he lives in Bridport  , did you get to see him play when you lived here?   The album is to celebrate 50 years of Stackridge - unbelievable. I think apart from Keith Gemmell they are all still around even their original manager Mike Tobin who is in his 80s now.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #147 on: July 26, 2021, 04:57:57 PM »

Yes he lives in Bridport  , did you get to see him play when you lived here?   The album is to celebrate 50 years of Stackridge - unbelievable. I think apart from Keith Gemmell they are all still around even their original manager Mike Tobin who is in his 80s now.

Just the once, yes.  I'll be honest and say it wasn't really my thing, but very nice to see him nonetheless.  Definitely looking forward to the compilation.

Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #148 on: July 26, 2021, 08:43:31 PM »

Just the once, yes.  I'll be honest and say it wasn't really my thing, but very nice to see him nonetheless.  Definitely looking forward to the compilation.

His solo stuff is very different ,  lacks the quirkiness  and humour of the Stackridge  I much prefer his Stackridge output  
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #149 on: August 03, 2021, 09:19:20 PM »

Los Lobos covers album https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/aug/03/los-lobos-la-bamba-gave-us-an-identity-crisis

A surprisingly super straight but decent cover of Sail on Sailor in the article...

John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #150 on: August 04, 2021, 01:30:43 AM »

Los Lobos covers album https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/aug/03/los-lobos-la-bamba-gave-us-an-identity-crisis

A surprisingly super straight but decent cover of Sail on Sailor in the article...

My favorite band on Earth. As I've said here before, in addition to their scores of incredible originals, Los Lobos have recorded and/or performed many of the best covers I've heard (taking "La Bamba" to number one in the process). Politician (Cream), Don't Keep Me Wonderin' (Allmans), What's Goin' On (Marvin Gaye), Bertha (Grateful Dead), Shoot Out The Lights (an obscure English songwriter), I Wanna Be Like You (from the Jungle Book), and now Sail On, Sailor.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #151 on: August 04, 2021, 11:18:30 AM »

I'm always wary of the covers album.  It usually means inspiration has dried up.  Can anyone think of an essential covers album?

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #152 on: August 04, 2021, 01:44:27 PM »

I'm always wary of the covers album.  It usually means inspiration has dried up.  Can anyone think of an essential covers album?

Jules

I'm wary of the covers album for the same reasons.
However, one of my favourites is The Wonderful World Of The Wondermints - currently out of print but available from Discogs from £4.80. Featuring entertaining covers of The Porpoise Song, Skyman, Arnold Layne, Guess I'm Dumb, etc., and a superb alt-rock version of Knowing Me, Knowing You (no "A-ha's" whatsoever), it's no wonder Brian Wilson said "If I'd had these guys in 1967 I would've taken Smile on the road".
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #153 on: August 04, 2021, 04:42:12 PM »

However, one of my favourites is The Wonderful World Of The Wondermints - currently out of print but available from Discogs from £4.80. Featuring entertaining covers of The Porpoise Song, Skyman, Arnold Layne, Guess I'm Dumb, etc., and a superb alt-rock version of Knowing Me, Knowing You (no "A-ha's" whatsoever), it's no wonder Brian Wilson said "If I'd had these guys in 1967 I would've taken Smile on the road".

That does sound genuinely intriguing.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #154 on: August 04, 2021, 04:56:37 PM »

That does sound genuinely intriguing.

Jules

Here's a Brian Wilson/Wondermints story - I talked to a fellow at a Pet Sounds 50th show who was carrying a BW-autographed copy of the Wonderful World... He said he waved the LP at Brian during the soundcheck, and Brian said "I don't sign things." The guy explained it wasn't a Beach Boys LP and started singing the praises of the Wondermints. BW was intrigued, and a stagehand retrieved the LP for BW to autograph before the show. So the guy has a one-of-a-kind Wondermints LP autographed by Brian Wilson, who's not on the album.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #155 on: August 04, 2021, 08:31:36 PM »

For about fifteen minutes the Wondermints might just have been the best band on the planet.  Baby Lemonade run them pretty damn close at times though....and one (sort of) became the Beach Boys, and the other Love.  It all kind of made sense in the end perhaps...

Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #156 on: August 04, 2021, 10:22:22 PM »

Jules

Thea Gilmore: Loft Music.

I think Thea has remained consistently inspired and inspiring at every stage of her career.

I'd give hat-tips towards Kathryn Williams'  Relations, and Karine Polwart's Scottish Songbook, too.

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #157 on: August 04, 2021, 11:28:45 PM »

Jules

Thea Gilmore: Loft Music.

I think Thea has remained consistently inspired and inspiring at every stage of her career.

I'd give hat-tips towards Kathryn Williams'  Relations, and Karine Polwart's Scottish Songbook, too.

Cheers

Nick

Another vote for Loft music, Ever Fallen In Love is a brilliant interpretation. Whilst it's various artists, the Rubber Folk reworking of Rubber Soul has some great tracks on it and several artists emerge with a big thumbs up from me.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #158 on: August 05, 2021, 12:17:58 AM »

Jules

Famous Blue Raincoat - Jennifer Warnes

By the way, the Los Lobos album is terrific.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #159 on: August 05, 2021, 08:48:51 AM »

Jules

Jennifer Warnes :  Famous Blue Raincoat.

May not count as the songs are all by the same artist, but it's pretty amazing, imo.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 27   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: