TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:17:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming releases of interest  (Read 139477 times)
KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New Romney, Kent

I can't read the lines, let alone in-between!

« Reply #80 on: June 11, 2020, 10:07:08 AM »

Larkin Pie’s new album “Self Made Man” will be coming out this Friday, 12th June.

From what I’ve seen and heard so far it’s going to be another banger.

It sounds tasty!

It certainly does. There shouldn’t be too much filler.

Imponderable Joy
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #81 on: June 11, 2020, 11:42:28 AM »

Cat Stevens  has or is about to, re record Tea for the Tillerman for  50th anniversary release.  I'm not a fan of his particularly   but  I'm curious.  

Why do artists do this(re-recording classic material)?  It is always a bad idea...and yet they seem to stubbornly persist in convincing themselves otherwise.

I don't know why they do it. Is it very common? I'm trying to think of artists who've done it.

Come to think of it, The Strawbs did a revamp of Hero and Heroine a few years back. Not my favourite of their albums but I think it actually adds something to the original.
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #82 on: June 11, 2020, 12:18:55 PM »

Cat Stevens  has or is about to, re record Tea for the Tillerman for  50th anniversary release.  I'm not a fan of his particularly   but  I'm curious.  

Why do artists do this(re-recording classic material)?  It is always a bad idea...and yet they seem to stubbornly persist in convincing themselves otherwise.

I don't know why they do it. Is it very common? I'm trying to think of artists who've done it.

Come to think of it, The Strawbs did a revamp of Hero and Heroine a few years back. Not my favourite of their albums but I think it actually adds something to the original.

That's interesting. I didn't buy it because I felt happy enough with the original. Out of curiosity, where do you feel the new recording adds to the music?
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #83 on: June 11, 2020, 12:27:41 PM »

Out of curiosity, where do you feel the new recording adds to the music?

Publishing royalties, I imagine...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #84 on: June 11, 2020, 03:37:26 PM »

IQ recorded a new version of their cassette-only debut album Seven Stories Into Eight when they gave it a CD release. Mainly because the master tape had deteriorated so badly they had to master the CD from an original cassette, so decided to re-record it and release both versions as the double CD Seven Stories Into 98.

I seem to remember The Enid recording new versions of their first two albums in the 80s, can't remember all the details but something to do with a dispute with EMI who released them originally.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #85 on: June 12, 2020, 09:16:07 AM »

That's interesting. I didn't buy it because I felt happy enough with the original. Out of curiosity, where do you feel the new recording adds to the music?

Firstly it begins with a 'prologue ' which is the lyric to 'Lay a little light on me'. Then between tracks 6 and 7, 'Midnight Sun' and Out in the cold' there's a short bridge piece 'Aurora', played on keyboards. Finally there's a reprise of 'Round and Round at the very end, finishing the album.

The effect of all if this, I find, apart from making the album longer, is that it slightly subverts my expectations and gives the album a more organic, layered feel.

Overall it's a great performance, with something of a live feel. You may find DCs vocals a strain at times. If you're at all familiar with later Strawbs you'll know what I mean here. Cool

Alan.
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #86 on: June 12, 2020, 10:58:34 AM »

Firstly it begins with a 'prologue ' which is the lyric to 'Lay a little light on me'. Then between tracks 6 and 7, 'Midnight Sun' and Out in the cold' there's a short bridge piece 'Aurora', played on keyboards. Finally there's a reprise of 'Round and Round at the very end, finishing the album.

The effect of all if this, I find, apart from making the album longer, is that it slightly subverts my expectations and gives the album a more organic, layered feel.

Overall it's a great performance, with something of a live feel. You may find DCs vocals a strain at times. If you're at all familiar with later Strawbs you'll know what I mean here. Cool

Alan.

Ha ha! I love the last few Strawbs albums!  Smiley

Appreciate the info on the H&H rerecording though, Definitely piqued my interest!
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #87 on: June 26, 2020, 10:27:34 AM »

Robert Wyatt is to release a  book in September in conjunction with his wife Alfie Benge, with a forward by Javis Cocker It is called side by side

https://pitchfork.com/news/robert-wyatt-to-release-new-book-vinyl-reissues/

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #88 on: June 26, 2020, 10:52:22 AM »

Robert Wyatt is to release a  book in September in conjunction with his wife Alfie Benge, with a forward by Javis Cocker It is called side by side

Looks great.  Now, obviously I want the £200 edition.  B*st*rd...  Angry Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #89 on: June 26, 2020, 01:05:38 PM »

Looks great.  Now, obviously I want the £200 edition.  B*st*rd...  Angry Grin

Probably cheaper than buying one of Alfie's originals ....... £840 for a signed print of the Rock Bottom cover!

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #90 on: October 31, 2020, 05:29:14 PM »

I know who has put this together, and its been done with love and care.  And I can't wait... Martin Stone: The Mad Dog Chronicles (which showcases the later years of Martin's work).

http://shagratrecords.com/shagrat_martin_stone_mad_dog.html

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #91 on: November 24, 2020, 03:46:05 PM »

Incidentally, the Martin Stone set is wondrous...

How about a 6 LP Nirvana (the original lot) box? https://burningshed.com/nirvana_songlife-1967-72_boxset?filter_tag=Songlife%201967-72&fbclid=IwAR2cvye94MIAFVZLhc_vCQWTYO3okNEOZgdXp2mhn6FE64-c0OFNHPyc2lM

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #92 on: November 24, 2020, 03:52:14 PM »

I know who has put this together, and its been done with love and care.  And I can't wait... Martin Stone: The Mad Dog Chronicles (which showcases the later years of Martin's work).

I've never heard of this chap and the only artist mentioned here i  have heard of is/are Mighty Baby. I know Shagrat from other releases.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #93 on: November 24, 2020, 04:19:32 PM »

I've never heard of this chap and the only artist mentioned here i  have heard of is/are Mighty Baby. I know Shagrat from other releases.

Genius guitarist... Mighty Baby and Chilli Willi and the Red Hot Peppers are the bands most people know him from.. He was also an antiquarian bookdealer of great renown and legend.   Like all Shagrat releases, this is a peach.

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #94 on: December 05, 2020, 08:55:02 AM »

A new Strawbs album,  26.2.21.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #95 on: December 05, 2020, 01:10:37 PM »

The new Barry Gibb album of duets of old Bee Gees songs looks very interesting. Features Gillian Welch David Rawlings Jason Isbell Sheryl Crow Dolly Parton Keith Urban Alison Krauss Olivia Newton John. Could be interesting.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2021, 04:09:57 PM »

Not a physical release, but the Cardiacs back catalogue is going on Spotify  Smiley

From FB today:

"Hi everyone!
How are you all doing out there in Stinksville?
I hope you are managing to tolerate those you live with and are not altogether hating the way they put their socks on or brush their teeth or look at you, hard though it is not to notice ALL THE LITTLE THINGS.
Some news....
For years now, some of you have been badgering us to release The Alphabet Business Concern catalogue on Spotify. You know who you are! Well, I get it, after you've bent someone's ear for hours about how amazing this music is, you want your new 'friend' to be able to listen on their phone all the way home, right?That's the clincher, isn't it? Nobody wants to look like a fool when they ask, 'Can I get it on Spotify?' and you have to answer, 'Er, no,  as it goes, you can't..'
We get it. We do. Accordingly, we are going to make all our albums available to stream from January 22nd. This Friday. Spread the word to the whole planet. Spread the love, the happiness, the joy. Go forth and convert with full confidence.
WATCH THIS SPACE.
With love from Mary x"

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #97 on: January 20, 2021, 09:51:38 AM »

I'm fairly sure this will appeal to one or two of you...

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/global-village-trucking-company-smiling-revolution-2cd-remastered-anthology/

quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #98 on: January 20, 2021, 10:14:28 AM »

Fab. I'm in.  Grin

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #99 on: March 05, 2021, 08:25:24 AM »

Katie Spencer does John Martyn with Alan Thomson and Spencer Cozens... https://katiespencerofficial.bandcamp.com/album/hurt-in-your-heart

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: