TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:37:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming releases of interest  (Read 145379 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #500 on: October 13, 2023, 09:02:21 AM »

A 32 disc super deluxe box set of Camel's albums from 1973-84, plus lots of extras, is coming out in November: https://burningshed.com/camel_air-born_boxset?filter_tag=Camel

I'm interested, but not sure I can afford it, although if anyone was wondering what to give me for Christmas...  Wink Grin

I am really tempted, though I have never knowingly heard a note of Caravan's music. I am just not sure that I have enough time to consume this much of it in a way that will make an impact.

It might be better to buy the first 3 or 4 albums individually  - the 2002 CD editions sound very good and have live bonus material- and see how you get on. Less of an investment.  

What are we talking about...Camel or Caravan?  And I have to admit to feeling quite confused by wanting a box set by an artist that one has never heard anything by.  It's almost impressive!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #501 on: October 13, 2023, 09:59:22 AM »

I have to admit to feeling quite confused by wanting a box set by an artist that one has never heard anything by.  It's almost impressive!

I have done this, more or less, in the past. My first purchases by Grateful Dead, Pentangle, Nilsson, and lilely others were all boxed sets. It was unspeakably decadent of me.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #502 on: October 13, 2023, 10:09:00 AM »

I have to admit to feeling quite confused by wanting a box set by an artist that one has never heard anything by.  It's almost impressive!

I have done this, more or less, in the past. My first purchases by Grateful Dead, Pentangle, Nilsson, and lilely others were all boxed sets. It was unspeakably decadent of me.

Jules
Not So much heard nothing by,more catching up on a late discovery where there is so much to choose from. For example there are two excellent Greatful Dead boxes that cover the whole of their studio catalogue.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #503 on: October 13, 2023, 03:45:08 PM »

A 32 disc super deluxe box set of Camel's albums from 1973-84, plus lots of extras, is coming out in November: https://burningshed.com/camel_air-born_boxset?filter_tag=Camel

I'm interested, but not sure I can afford it, although if anyone was wondering what to give me for Christmas...  Wink Grin

I am really tempted, though I have never knowingly heard a note of Caravan's music. I am just not sure that I have enough time to consume this much of it in a way that will make an impact.

It might be better to buy the first 3 or 4 albums individually  - the 2002 CD editions sound very good and have live bonus material- and see how you get on. Less of an investment.  

What are we talking about...Camel or Caravan?  And I have to admit to feeling quite confused by wanting a box set by an artist that one has never heard anything by.  It's almost impressive!

I thought we were talking about Camel 🐫 🤔, but I see now Caravan are mentioned. Misprint?

In a way, buying the right boxed set might be a good way to get into an unfamiliar act. Given one can afford it,  it gives you plenty to listen to. I'd have to be pretty sure I would like the music, though.
My experience with boxed sets has been mixed. You may like the look of them- contents and so on- and then find the mastering is poor, or the general manufacture of the box and contents is shoddy (Sandy Denny big box).
I've had one or 2 boxed sets which were great, and others which weren't really worth it, and some which I just never broke the seal on, as I didn't feel in the mood or was happy listening to other stuff by the same artist.  I still have a sealed copy of the big Cropredy Box from i think 2005, for example.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #504 on: October 13, 2023, 03:48:14 PM »

I thought we were talking about Camel 🐫 🤔, but I see now Caravan are mentioned. Misprint?

In a way, buying the right boxed set might be a good way to get into an unfamiliar act. Given one can afford it,  it gives you plenty to listen to. I'd have to be pretty sure I would like the music, though.
My experience with boxed sets has been mixed. You may like the look of them- contents and so on- and then find the mastering is poor, or the general manufacture of the box and contents is shoddy (Sandy Denny big box).
I've had one or 2 boxed sets which were great, and others which weren't really worth it, and some which I just never broke the seal on, as I didn't feel in the mood or was happy listening to other stuff by the same artist.  I still have a sealed copy of the big Cropredy Box from i think 2005, for example.

I will die still kicking myself about that Sandy box.... Grrrr.  Cropredy Capers, the Free Reed one?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #505 on: October 13, 2023, 05:36:31 PM »

I will die still kicking myself about that Sandy box.... Grrrr.  Cropredy Capers, the Free Reed one?

Yes that's the one.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #506 on: October 13, 2023, 10:08:02 PM »

I have the Sandy box and two others of a similar size (Ian Hunter and Al Stewart), they dont half take up a lot of room!

Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #507 on: October 14, 2023, 10:49:10 AM »

I'd always liked the music of the Beach Boys, but my obsession really began when I bought a copy of their 1993 Good Vibrations box set.
Heavily discounted from Woolworths (!) - apparently someone had ordered it and never picked it up, so a bargain was mine.
The music on the 4 discs was so good, it encouraged me to collect everything - not so easy in the 90's as the majority of their albums were out of print.
I already had Pet Sounds, and also a ropey SMiLE bootleg cassette, so to hear Disc 2's 1/2 hour of cleaned up, legally released SMiLE sessions was Wonderful  Wink
To see and hear what the Beach Boys did next - Brian's solo career, the vast improvement of Mike Love's touring band, the SMiLE sessions box, the 50th anniversary, the excellent archive releases, the continuing feud between Brian & Mike, etc. - I couldn't have foreseen any of it when I originally bought that box.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #508 on: October 14, 2023, 04:58:29 PM »

Camel. I just feel like they are a band who I would probably enjoy and I fancy the 5.1 mixes. My sister in law is a big fan so I have actually bought several Camel releases over the years but as presents for her. Although it is a big outlay it is outstandingly good value for the amount of product included but I probably won't go for it.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #509 on: October 18, 2023, 10:47:44 AM »

A bit of a weird one this...Mr Cope is celebrating the 25th anniversary of the mighty The Modern Antiquarian book with a CD and publication celebrating it...

https://www.headheritage.co.uk/merchandiser/item/HHPRESS8/

quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #510 on: October 23, 2023, 11:06:33 AM »

This popped up on FB this morning. Ingruiging.  Smiley

"A Scarcity Of Miracles, A King Crimson ProjeKct, the debut release from Jakko Jakszyk, Robert Fripp, and Mel Collins, is set to premiere on RF's YouTube, on Friday  at 11:00 CEST. Click to set a reminder: https://m1.paperblog.com/.../king-crimson-scarcity-of...
Featuring a dream rhythm section comprising Gavin Harrison and Tony Levin, ASOM is a sonically rich and detailed collection of surprisingly accessible and heartfelt songs which boasts a seductive, widescreen production.
Echoing elements of King Crimson's unique vocabulary, while presenting a unified group sound far removed from anything previously released under the KC name, A Scarcity Of Miracles manages to be both intimate and epic, complex yet immediate.
'One of my favourite albums of those where I am a determining element. It has the Crimson gene, but it is not quite KC.' - RF"

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #511 on: October 23, 2023, 11:28:47 AM »

This popped up on FB this morning. Ingruiging.  Smiley

"A Scarcity Of Miracles, A King Crimson ProjeKct, the debut release from Jakko Jakszyk, Robert Fripp, and Mel Collins, is set to premiere on RF's YouTube, on Friday  at 11:00 CEST. Click to set a reminder: https://m1.paperblog.com/.../king-crimson-scarcity-of...
Featuring a dream rhythm section comprising Gavin Harrison and Tony Levin, ASOM is a sonically rich and detailed collection of surprisingly accessible and heartfelt songs which boasts a seductive, widescreen production.
Echoing elements of King Crimson's unique vocabulary, while presenting a unified group sound far removed from anything previously released under the KC name, A Scarcity Of Miracles manages to be both intimate and epic, complex yet immediate.
'One of my favourite albums of those where I am a determining element. It has the Crimson gene, but it is not quite KC.' - RF"

Came out in 2011.  It's a great album.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #512 on: October 23, 2023, 11:43:59 AM »

From Ian A Anderson on FB:

Friends will know that for the past year or more I've been working on compiling a 72-track, 3-CD, 10,000+ word booklet box set for Cherry Red Records of artists who were booked at Soho's legendary Les Cousins club (1965-72). Well, it's finished, mastered, signed off - releasing in January 2024 but a pre-order link will go up on Cherry Red's site well before then. Keep your eyes peeled. Here's an advance peek at the track list.
The yardsticks for being on the long-list were that the artists were booked for the club, not just drop-ins (so no Jimi Hendrix!). That list was compiled from club owner, the late Andy Matheou's, surviving diaries and their regular adverts in the Melody Maker Folk Forum, many posted here. Andy's wife Diana was fully involved in the process. The tracks I then selected had to have been recorded during the timespan of the club (1965-72) where possible, and the sort of songs/tunes that they played there, even if studio production was different.
Cherry Red's licensing team put a year into tracking down permissions and excelled themselves. Inevitably there were just a few artists who really should have been on there where the current owners of the recordings proved elusive, but I hope it gives a really good representation of the club and I'm dead proud of it!

* Les Cousins 2.jpg (607.26 KB, 1600x1600 - viewed 380 times.)

* Les Cousins 1.jpg (930.5 KB, 1600x1600 - viewed 391 times.)

quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #513 on: October 23, 2023, 01:07:20 PM »

Ha ha. Missed it.  Roll Eyes

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #514 on: October 23, 2023, 01:30:32 PM »

From Ian A Anderson on FB:

Friends will know that for the past year or more I've been working on compiling a 72-track, 3-CD, 10,000+ word booklet box set for Cherry Red Records of artists who were booked at Soho's legendary Les Cousins club (1965-72). Well, it's finished, mastered, signed off - releasing in January 2024 but a pre-order link will go up on Cherry Red's site well before then. Keep your eyes peeled. Here's an advance peek at the track list.
The yardsticks for being on the long-list were that the artists were booked for the club, not just drop-ins (so no Jimi Hendrix!). That list was compiled from club owner, the late Andy Matheou's, surviving diaries and their regular adverts in the Melody Maker Folk Forum, many posted here. Andy's wife Diana was fully involved in the process. The tracks I then selected had to have been recorded during the timespan of the club (1965-72) where possible, and the sort of songs/tunes that they played there, even if studio production was different.
Cherry Red's licensing team put a year into tracking down permissions and excelled themselves. Inevitably there were just a few artists who really should have been on there where the current owners of the recordings proved elusive, but I hope it gives a really good representation of the club and I'm dead proud of it!
Looks good. Would have liked to have seen Robin Head but cant be picky. I do have it on another club compilation, Greek Street I think.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #515 on: October 26, 2023, 02:37:50 PM »

New Beatles incoming...ish https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/oct/26/the-beatles-final-song-now-and-then-ai-technology

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #516 on: December 07, 2023, 02:19:29 PM »

Remastered Tim Blake (the first 3): https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/tim-blake-crystal-presence-3cd-box-set/?utm_source=Umi%27s%20Press%20%26%20Radio%20Contacts&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Press%20Schedule%20-%20Feb%20Part%202&_kx=PFSdRtWOjuRTdqggWIHJD4RcPmcRIXWdy4F_-aI--GjCopkpwfBvumbMll0nrxa3.XRaxax&fbclid=IwAR0LjCOg2ZdiovS6t6mX09EAIsh5cewdMrn7dwokRfm01Sc2nMK4B1I57fc

bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #517 on: December 08, 2023, 04:26:10 PM »

Re-releases of Jethro Tull's Aqualung, Minstrel In The Gallery and Songs From The Wood anniversary box/book sets.

Minstrel, currently available on e-Bay for such prices as £125 - £250, is £23 from Burning Shed.

(Still waiting for A Passion Play, if you're reading this Mr Anderson.)

Well I never did..
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #518 on: December 08, 2023, 08:30:35 PM »

Re-releases of Jethro Tull's Aqualung, Minstrel In The Gallery and Songs From The Wood anniversary box/book sets.

Minstrel, currently available on e-Bay for such prices as £125 - £250, is £23 from Burning Shed.

(Still waiting for A Passion Play, if you're reading this Mr Anderson.)

Well spotted that man...one very happy customer here Cheesy (unlike the poor sod who paid £150 for it on eBay a few weeks back).  I've gone for the bundle...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 08:56:27 PM by davidmjs » Logged

bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #519 on: December 09, 2023, 08:39:18 AM »

Nice.
I have Songs...but I've gone for the other two.

That leaves only three that I don't have, here's hoping those will be the next batch.

Well I never did..
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: