TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 12:15:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming releases of interest  (Read 145493 times)
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #300 on: March 11, 2022, 08:06:34 PM »

32 disk set of Robert Fripp solo albums, remasters, unreleased pieces. Includes 2 bluray disks containing the entire Frippertronics archive - that's 68 hours of "bleeping and droning". One for the obsessives, I think... slightly tempted, but I doubt I'd listen to most of the set more than once. £160, so less than £5 per disk once the (usually excellent) written and photographic content is taken into consideration.

Chuck in a couple of Sunday Lunchtime outtakes and it’ll sell out in minutes.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #301 on: March 11, 2022, 08:11:18 PM »

Grin

Flobbadob!
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #302 on: March 16, 2022, 05:05:57 PM »

Another very tempting big box set on the horizon,
This time it’s Horslips.

https://www.celticnote.com/merch/horslipsboxset

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #303 on: March 16, 2022, 05:12:15 PM »

This time it’s Horslips.

Ireland only shipping?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #304 on: March 16, 2022, 05:42:41 PM »

This time it’s Horslips.

Ireland only shipping?

Burning Shed are the authorised UK outlet. £250. I am very tempted but it may indeed be more than I can chew in several senses.

Can I justify it as a retirement present to myself?
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #305 on: March 16, 2022, 06:42:08 PM »

Great news from Dr Strangely Strange on FB:

Our RADIO SESSIONS CD is due out this October on the Think Like A Key Music label. In our heyday, we recorded only two BBC radio sessions, a Top Gear slot and an In Concert, both with John Peel. Frustratingly, the BBC’s tapes were wiped, but after extensive research with European collectors, TLAK has been able to locate off-air recordings of both sessions, which have been painstakingly restored. Added to these are brief radio sessions for Dutch and Danish radio sourced from the original recordings, as well as a Dublin rehearsal take of Sign On My Mind featuring Gary Moore, our friend and guest on Heavy Petting. The accompanying 24-page illustrated booklet has been compiled by Fitting Pieces To The Jigsaw author Adrian Whittaker.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #306 on: March 17, 2022, 09:24:13 AM »

Our RADIO SESSIONS CD is due out this October on the Think Like A Key Music label. In our heyday, we recorded only two BBC radio sessions, a Top Gear slot and an In Concert, both with John Peel. Frustratingly, the BBC’s tapes were wiped, but after extensive research with European collectors, TLAK has been able to locate off-air recordings of both sessions, which have been painstakingly restored. Added to these are brief radio sessions for Dutch and Danish radio sourced from the original recordings, as well as a Dublin rehearsal take of Sign On My Mind featuring Gary Moore, our friend and guest on Heavy Petting. The accompanying 24-page illustrated booklet has been compiled by Fitting Pieces To The Jigsaw author Adrian Whittaker.

Interesting.
We've already got a rehearsal take of  'Sign on my Mind'.  Is this a different one?
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #307 on: March 17, 2022, 12:43:45 PM »

Interesting.
We've already got a rehearsal take of  'Sign on my Mind'.  Is this a different one?

The "Take 1" on the Hux CD reissue?  Good question.  I've asked...

And the answer to the question "Just wondering if this version of Sign on my Mind is different to the additional "Take 1" on the Hux Heavy Petting?" comes back from the band: "that’s what I wonder. I suspect yes."
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 12:54:37 PM by davidmjs » Logged

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #308 on: March 17, 2022, 07:38:51 PM »

This time it’s Horslips.

Ireland only shipping?

Burning Shed are the authorised UK outlet. £250. I am very tempted but it may indeed be more than I can chew in several senses.

I did, but the present Mrs C hasn't been informed yet.
It's only the 58th anniversary of your family loading up the truck and moving to Whalley Range once.
If she takes umbrage, I'll tell her to be thankful I didn't opt for the £350 option with its numbered and signed poster.

5 minutes later,
I've told the deadly beloved.
She was quite sanguine about it.
I rather think she might be up to something of her own.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 07:58:24 PM by Jim » Logged

The Dude abides
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #309 on: March 17, 2022, 09:16:49 PM »

Interesting.

And the answer to the question "Just wondering if this version of Sign on my Mind is different to the additional "Take 1" on the Hux Heavy Petting?" comes back from the band: "that’s what I wonder. I suspect yes."

Ah! Smiley
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #310 on: March 18, 2022, 09:57:37 AM »

Interesting.

Ah! Smiley

Just spoken to Adrian Whittaker - biographer etc.  It's definitely a different take of SomM  Smiley

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #311 on: March 18, 2022, 11:46:23 AM »

Interesting.

Ah! Smiley

Just spoken to Adrian Whittaker - biographer etc.  It's definitely a different take of SomM  Smiley

Good. Now I just have to decide if I need the disc. :-)

Talking of old radio material and off air recordings,  plans are afoot for a large box of Martin Carthy radio stuff. There's been a call out for anyone with old cassettes. That could include me, but my tape collection is in miscellaneous boxes and was never systematically sorted anyway.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #312 on: March 18, 2022, 11:52:29 AM »

Talking of old radio material and off air recordings,  plans are afoot for a large box of Martin Carthy radio stuff. There's been a call out for anyone with old cassettes. That could include me, but my tape collection is in miscellaneous boxes and was never systematically sorted anyway.

Aye, from Colin Harper...it's a massive box!  Last thing I saw from him stated: "I posted here a few weeks back about crowd-sourcing otherwise errant material for a 'Martin Carthy at the BBC' box set. I'm thrilled to say that between BBC holdings, producer-held masters and generous donations of off-air cassettes (late 70s to 90s) from fans that it's looking like a 20CD+DVD project. It will be a colossal celebration of the great man's artistry. 🙏
One thing, though... one of the best concerts in the set-in-progress, to my ears, is a 32-minute broadcast by the brief trio Wood, Wilson & Carthy, on Radio 3's 'Impressions', 4/1/97. We have one imperfect complete recording of this so far, and the British Library seems to have a few minutes of it. Restoration magic will make a difference but I'm hoping someone else out there recorded it... Anyone? 🤔
There is, coincidentally, a Bert connection to the set in that it opens with Martin fronting 'The Trees They Do Grow High'."

Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #313 on: March 20, 2022, 03:25:34 PM »

This time it’s Horslips.

Ireland only shipping?

I did, but the present Mrs C hasn't been informed yet.
It's only the 58th anniversary of your family loading up the truck and moving to Whalley Range once.
If she takes umbrage, I'll tell her to be thankful I didn't opt for the £350 option with its numbered and signed poster.

5 minutes later,
I've told the deadly beloved.
She was quite sanguine about it.
I rather think she might be up to something of her own.
I seem to have ordered this too😀

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #314 on: March 20, 2022, 04:58:24 PM »

I think the Al Stewart and Steeleye box sets are ahead at the moment

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #315 on: March 20, 2022, 05:50:15 PM »

What Steeleye box set?

The Dude abides
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #316 on: March 20, 2022, 06:37:50 PM »

What Steeleye box set?

And ahead of what?

Oh, by the way, I have ordered the Horslips set too.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #317 on: March 20, 2022, 09:59:13 PM »

What Steeleye box set?

Good Times of Old England due in May

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #318 on: March 20, 2022, 10:02:36 PM »

What Steeleye box set?

And ahead of what?

Oh, by the way, I have ordered the Horslips set too.
You've answered the question! That one doesn't interest me I'm afraid.

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #319 on: March 20, 2022, 10:32:22 PM »

What Steeleye box set?

Details here:

https://steeleyespanfan.co.uk/the-music/good-times-of-old-england

Jules