TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:15:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 27   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming releases of interest  (Read 143622 times)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #260 on: December 04, 2021, 08:54:10 AM »

Looks like the edition to get, for people  who don't have it, like me.

The Fields release looks good too, though I'd be re- buying there.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #261 on: December 04, 2021, 10:46:50 AM »

Looks like the edition to get, for people  who don't have it, like me.

The Fields release looks good too, though I'd be re- buying there.

I could easily spend my entire monthly wage on reissues from Cherry Red.  

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #262 on: December 04, 2021, 11:20:15 AM »

Dr Sardonicus is a great album. I recommend anyone who hasn't heard it to give it a listen. It deserves to be better known.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #263 on: January 06, 2022, 04:36:02 PM »

HMHB have a new album out later this year.   Great titles as you'd expect.  I particularly like Tess of the Dormobiles...

https://www.piccadillyrecords.com/counter/product.php?pid=142242

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #264 on: January 07, 2022, 09:10:59 AM »

I know there's at least one other Gentle Giant fan around here, so they might not know Civilian is getting ann official reissue later this year. 2 formats.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #265 on: January 07, 2022, 07:29:19 PM »

On its way to me right now from Canada: Bachman-Cummings: The Collection.

I ordered an autographed (by Messrs. Bachman and Cummings) copy. It features a collection of songs by the referenced gentlemen, composed together or separately, and spanning the Guess Who (1969-1971 period), Bachman-Turner Overdrive and Burton's solo career.

I am a huge fan of the Guess Who's music, stretching from their early days as a great garage band mimicking British Invasion music in the early 1960s, all the way to the mid-1970s, when they effortlessly churned out pop/rock masterpieces on every LP. During their fertile period, the band featured the cream of Canadian musicians and songwriters: Randy Bachman, Garry Peterson, Jim Kale, Burton Cummings, Kurt Winter, Greg Leskiw, Donnie McDougall, Bill Wallace, and Dominic Troiano. BTO also has considerable charm (with the greatest Canadian belter, Fred Turner), as do Burton's somewhat dated-sounding solo albums ("Stand Tall" may be his best song). (The less said about the Guess Who, post-Burton, the better.)

I think I already own all of this material, but that won't stop me from happily plowing through it again.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #266 on: January 07, 2022, 10:00:18 PM »

I know there's at least one other Gentle Giant fan around here, so they might not know Civilian is getting ann official reissue later this year. 2 formats.
When I was 14 had a boyfriend who was a massive GG fan and played Octopus over and over and over and over…   Huh
As I result, I’m not as big a fan as I could be. I shall check out Civilian tho.
The last I heard of the boyfriend, he had been arrested outside Parliament Square with Brian Haw the peace protestor. I’ve no idea if his Gentle Giant infatuation was a catalyst   Roll Eyes

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #267 on: January 08, 2022, 09:38:49 AM »

When I was 14 had a boyfriend who was a massive GG fan and played Octopus over and over and over and over…   Huh
As I result, I’m not as big a fan as I could be. I shall check out Civilian tho.
The last I heard of the boyfriend, he had been arrested outside Parliament Square with Brian Haw the peace protestor. I’ve no idea if his Gentle Giant infatuation was a catalyst   Roll Eyes

You might say a person 'can't get arrested ' liking Gentle Giant now 😄, but I still like them. Civilian, iirc, was their last album, and not of the standard of the Vertigo albums or In A Glass House, but would still be if interested to a fan.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #268 on: January 08, 2022, 10:05:00 AM »

You might say a person 'can't get arrested ' liking Gentle Giant now 😄, but I still like them. Civilian, iirc, was their last album, and not of the standard of the Vertigo albums or In A Glass House, but would still be if interested to a fan.

You couldn't be more wrong, Alan...their critical status is higher than it's ever been and all their reissues sell well, get 4 or 5 star reviews etc etc.

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #269 on: January 08, 2022, 04:12:42 PM »

You couldn't be more wrong, Alan...their critical status is higher than it's ever been and all their reissues sell well, get 4 or 5 star reviews etc etc.

They certainly get a lot of attention on another forum I frequent, mainly from Americans.
I bought the recent Alucard vinyl reissues of the vertigo albums and they are superb.
Paul B

« Reply #270 on: January 09, 2022, 02:43:25 PM »

Wonder if these may be of interst to Taw's (?)

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/iain-matthews-i-cant-fade-away-the-rockburgh-years-1978-1984-6cd/?mc_cid=775cb5ad52&mc_eid=566af83acc

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/family-a-song-for-me-remastered-expanded-edition/?mc_cid=775cb5ad52&mc_eid=566af83acc

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/harry-chapin-story-book-the-elektra-albums-1972-1978-6cd-box-set/?mc_cid=775cb5ad52&mc_eid=566af83acc

I'm definitely in for the second and third -not so sure about the Iain M one-any views?
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #271 on: January 09, 2022, 03:17:37 PM »

Given the price I'll probably get it, but I suspect it is rather hit and miss....not that familiar with the material myself.

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #272 on: January 10, 2022, 09:13:19 AM »

Regarding Family:

'What, another one!?'.

DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #273 on: January 10, 2022, 09:50:34 AM »

I really like what I've heard by Iain Matthews from that era. He'd moved away from the country rock style into a bit more soft-rock / AOR and even a bit of new wave. Sounds a bit dated now mind. I love the cover of The Baby She's On The Street (Jona Lewie) on Siamese Friends.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #274 on: January 10, 2022, 10:10:10 AM »

I've ordered the Iain Matthews set. Seems like a bargain!  Stealin' Home was the first of his solo albums I bought - way back - and the only one I owned for many years.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #275 on: January 10, 2022, 02:43:25 PM »

I've ordered the Iain Matthews set. Seems like a bargain!

Ditto  Grin

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #276 on: January 11, 2022, 11:28:15 AM »

50th anniversary mega box edition of the Karen Dalton album.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #277 on: January 11, 2022, 11:40:37 AM »

The mega mega one? Cripes.  That looks a mighty beast indeed.  I was tempted by the cassette  Wink

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #278 on: January 11, 2022, 01:34:11 PM »

I'm surprised to hear that there's enough in the vaults for a "mega" box.

Link please!

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #279 on: January 11, 2022, 02:23:54 PM »

I'm surprised to hear that there's enough in the vaults for a "mega" box.

Link please!

Jules

You know you want the cassette really...

https://lightintheattic.net/releases/8260-in-my-own-time-50th-anniversary-super-deluxe-edition

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 27   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: