TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
February 22, 2019, 09:55:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tour, New CD & Cropredy

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Better on record?  (Read 1046 times)
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2019, 07:44:00 AM »

The major example of this that comes to my mind (with the caveat that I only ever saw them once), and I appreciate that they are a marmite act in the first place, was Dire Straits. I like the records up to Love Over Gold and bits and pieces of the last two albums but they were extraordinarily dull live, in particular dragging out Romeo & Juliet as a slow dirge when the studio version is light and airy.

Absolutely agree. I love (most) of the records especially Making Movies but seeing Dire Straits live  (admittedly in the aircraft hangar of Wembley Arena) they proved to be very tedious creating very little atmosphere

Same venue as me. Perhaps we were at the same gig.

Seems very likely judging from our similar reactions  Smiley

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2019, 03:08:08 PM »

Family.  I've liked their records for along time but they sure  were erratic live.
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2019, 10:02:13 AM »

I think Cocteau Twins produced some of the finest records of all time. I have pretty much everything they recorded and on the whole I reckon they were flawless studio musicians.

I count myself lucky to have seen them several times in concert. When they were on form they were a good show. When stuff was going wrong however they could be painful.

I'm afraid I have to file them under 'Better On Record'.

Dead Can Dance on the other hand have been spellbinding each time I've seen them, and I love the records. Win-win.  Smiley

Cheers

Nick

...putting the finishing touchés on some witty ripostes
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: