TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 25, 2019, 08:41:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tour, New CD & Cropredy

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guilty Pleasures  (Read 2853 times)
mightyglydd

Loc: Hollywood California

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2019, 08:03:34 PM »

Anything by The Troggs......working through their stuff...love 66-5-4-3-2-1 Smiley
Hah ! Hi Hi Hazel  ..Brilliant!
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2019, 08:15:33 PM »

I also don't care. Good job really...I've bought a couple of Betty Boo albums this week.  

Well I never did..
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2019, 09:05:00 PM »

I also don't care. Good job really...I've bought a couple of Betty Boo albums this week. †

I know I started this thread but it was only in fun and, guess what Mike, Iím going to see Betty Boo along with the likes of China Crisis, Nick Hayward, Nick Kershaw, Tony Hadley, Midge Ure, Heaven 17, The Real Thing, Jimmy Somerville, Go West and Sonia at the ĎLetís Rock Essex Retro Festivalí in September   Shocked Grin so any worrying about (non-existent) credibility is completely pointless...mind you Iím really looking forward to seeing China Crisis as I own several albums!

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2019, 06:32:07 AM »

I'm with those who no longer care about what's meant to be cool to like, but I suppose if I were to have a guilty pleasure it's probably cheesy metal bands, especially Manowar.
bassline (Mike)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2019, 08:05:33 AM »

I also don't care. Good job really...I've bought a couple of Betty Boo albums this week. †

I know I started this thread but it was only in fun and, guess what Mike, Iím going to see Betty Boo along with the likes of China Crisis, Nick Hayward, Nick Kershaw, Tony Hadley, Midge Ure, Heaven 17, The Real Thing, Jimmy Somerville, Go West and Sonia at the ĎLetís Rock Essex Retro Festivalí in September † Shocked Grin so any worrying about (non-existent) credibility is completely pointless...mind you Iím really looking forward to seeing China Crisis as I own several albums!

Good for you...I have a couple of China Crisis albums too, Haircut 100's Fantastic Day was a fave, Nick's been to Croppers a couple of times and I enjoyed him a lot, I have a Spandau album (reminds me of the lovely Carol and much smooching), Midge has Croppered too and Vienna was one of the greatest not number ones of all time. The next four were OK, if not big in my world and then there's Sonia. Enjoy...and think of me when you're Doin' The Doo.

Well I never did..
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2019, 09:12:29 AM »

I know I started this thread but it was only in fun and, guess what Mike, Iím going to see Betty Boo along with the likes of China Crisis, Nick Hayward, Nick Kershaw, Tony Hadley, Midge Ure, Heaven 17, The Real Thing, Jimmy Somerville, Go West and Sonia at the ĎLetís Rock Essex Retro Festivalí in September † Shocked Grin so any worrying about (non-existent) credibility is completely pointless...mind you Iím really looking forward to seeing China Crisis as I own several albums!

Good for you...I have a couple of China Crisis albums too, Haircut 100's Fantastic Day was a fave, Nick's been to Croppers a couple of times and I enjoyed him a lot, I have a Spandau album (reminds me of the lovely Carol and much smooching), Midge has Croppered too and Vienna was one of the greatest not number ones of all time. The next four were OK, if not big in my world and then there's Sonia. Enjoy...and think of me when you're Doin' The Doo.

Cheers Mike...it should be good fun. These retro festivals are all the rage at the moment and long may it last  Grin

Albion.Al

Loc: Leeds

Nothing on much of the time !!!

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2019, 09:43:58 AM »

Herb Alpert 🎺🎺🎺

Duncan McFarlane Band for Cropredy !!!!
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Global Moderator

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2019, 11:03:53 AM »

yep, one of mine back when too....

Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2019, 12:00:09 PM »

We saw China Crisis last year - they were excellent. Good solid pop tunes, well delivered with a bit of amusing banter in between. other than Sonia and Jimmy Somerville, that's a great line up!

Wham Bam Thank You Ma'am!
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2019, 12:36:43 PM »

We saw China Crisis last year - they were excellent. Good solid pop tunes, well delivered with a bit of amusing banter in between. other than Sonia and Jimmy Somerville, that's a great line up!

I think there must be more than one stage - at least I hope so so that I can give Sonia a wide berth  Grin. Also playing are Status Quo, Musical Youth, Belouis Ome, Owen Paul and Jenny ĎBelle Starí Matthias

DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2019, 01:00:36 PM »

I suppose there are some bands that should be guilty pleasures given how unfashionable they are - so Marillion, Barclay Jams Harvest and Status Quo - but I listen to them unashamedly (the latter two is mainly their early 60s/70s stuff). Real guilty pleasures are 80s soft rock bands like Chicago, Foreigner  etc. The sort of songs that you might find on a double CD with a title like 'Best Ever Driving Songs for Dads'.
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2019, 02:35:25 PM »

Commander Cody and his lost planet airmen  Embarrassed
bassline (Mike)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2019, 10:19:53 PM »

I suppose there are some bands that should be guilty pleasures given how unfashionable they are - so Marillion, Barclay Jams Harvest and Status Quo - but I listen to them unashamedly (the latter two is mainly their early 60s/70s stuff). Real guilty pleasures are 80s soft rock bands like Chicago, Foreigner †etc. The sort of songs that you might find on a double CD with a title like 'Best Ever Driving Songs for Dads'.

This situationm confuses me somewhat.
Finding a real cool 4CD compilation of Seventies rock and Prog in Asda entitled 'Best Dad Rock Album....Ever', am I allowed to listen to it, having never produced any kids ?
Shouldn't it be renamed Grandad Rock by now ?
Why do we never get an answer
When we're knocking at the door
With a thousand million questions
About hate and death and war?
Speaking of which, the Moodies being mentioned earlier reminded me that I've finally bought a copy of This Is The Moody Blues, yay !

Well I never did..
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Local Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not Perfect. Never Claimed To Be.

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2019, 10:21:27 PM »

This Is The Moody Blues is excellent.

See What I did Summer 2018  for a selection of my photos.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Austin

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2019, 10:25:59 PM »

This Is The Moody Blues is excellent.

That was my first and remains my favorite Moody Blues collection. Solid from start to finish, the experience is like listening to Moody Blues radio (what with the cross-fades), and the mixes are in many cases superior to the original album mixes (e.g., the acoustic guitar is brought up in the mix and the flute solo pans from right to left on "Legend of a Mind").
richardkendell

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2019, 08:00:34 AM »

Commander Cody and his lost planet airmen †Embarrassed

I have no guilt about being "Lost in the Ozone"!
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2019, 11:38:53 AM »

I have no guilt what so ever in loving the recording of I Don't 'Arf Love You by Norman Wisdom & Joyce Grenfell  recorded in 1952
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2019, 12:04:57 PM »

I suppose there are some bands that should be guilty pleasures given how unfashionable they are - so Marillion, Barclay Jams Harvest and Status Quo - but I listen to them unashamedly (the latter two is mainly their early 60s/70s stuff). Real guilty pleasures are 80s soft rock bands like Chicago, Foreigner †etc. The sort of songs that you might find on a double CD with a title like 'Best Ever Driving Songs for Dads'.

Finding a real cool 4CD compilation of Seventies rock and Prog in Asda entitled 'Best Dad Rock Album....Ever', am I allowed to listen to it, having never produced any kids ?

It's even more confusing for me....  Undecided

I have to admit that my car is full of this type of CD. Nothing helps a long journey like singing along to Rainbow or a bit of Toto!  Cheesy

Wham Bam Thank You Ma'am!
bassline (Mike)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2019, 12:43:29 PM »

It's even more confusing for me.... †Undecided

I have to admit that my car is full of this type of CD. Nothing helps a long journey like singing along to Rainbow or a bit of Toto! †Cheesy

I never thought of that....I suppose they could call it Sprog Rock, but that wouldn't cover the non parents - Unplugged and Sproggless ? I'll work on it.

Well I never did..
MarkV
sit on a perch and prepare a roach
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Quality control has failed to sift me out.

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2019, 01:12:29 PM »

It's even more confusing for me.... †Undecided

I have to admit that my car is full of this type of CD. Nothing helps a long journey like singing along to Rainbow or a bit of Toto! †Cheesy

I never thought of that....I suppose they could call it Sprog Rock, but that wouldn't cover the non parents - Unplugged and Sproggless ? I'll work on it.

Could just call it "Rock music"

O to 62 in sixtytwo years.  Where does the time go?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: