TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 23, 2019, 03:44:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tour, New CD & Cropredy

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Merry Hell  (Read 1809 times)
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« on: December 30, 2018, 10:03:42 PM »

Recommended

* 49169626_2417381601619482_8713897647494135808_n.jpg (120.55 KB, 689x960 - viewed 402 times.)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 11:31:05 PM »

Already booked for Sevenoaks
Andy Tuck
A creme egg moment
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Leicester

Dolphins are Evil They Eat Kittens...

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 01:42:47 AM »

Will be at the Musician, Leicester.

Still listening to the telepathic pirate radio show from the flying teapot.....

http://www.fortytenthpromotions.co.uk/
Tony Pim

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 01:11:16 PM »

Thanks for posting this, it looks like they're on at the Brasenose on the Sunday from those dates. That could well tip the balance into us staying on the Sunday too.

We're lucky as they come from round here so we can get to see them frequently.  So far we've booked Edge Hill,  Wigan Old Courts and Merry Helloween at the Citadel.  None of which require driving.  Saw at least two cracking support bands with them in 2018 , The Trials of Cato, and Headsticks.

It's a belting night out.

Happy New Year Y'all

and the stars look very different today
Penguin (Dunc)
O RLY?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Royton, Lancashire

The Wrong Side of Weird!

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 02:40:05 PM »

I'm plumping for the gig at the Playhouse 2 in Shaw - I can walk there, and they always have decent beer on tap!  Grin

It Doesn't Stop Being Magic Just Because You Know How It's Done!
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 09:27:40 AM »

Looks like they are using the images from the photo shoot when they played Lyme Regis last year for their poster - great venue and terriffic gig
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 09:29:47 AM »

Looks like they are using the images from the photo shoot when they played Lyme Regis last year for their poster - great venue and terriffic gig

Yes. It is also the cover of their new album.
DarrenWilliams

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 07:34:15 AM »

The Citadel have announced that the venue is closing this year. Sad news for St Helens (and Merry Helloween).
Tony Pim

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 09:16:00 AM »

The Citadel have announced that the venue is closing this year. Sad news for St Helens (and Merry Helloween).

That's really disappointing news, such a shame

Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Global Moderator

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 09:17:09 AM »

I saw that - aqlthough it seems the charity? that runs it will continue its work outside the venuwe.

Have they said why they're shutting it?

Tony Pim

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 10:25:08 AM »

Sounds like it's financial - this is the email they sent this morning
Dear Valued Citadel Customers,

I am Fay Lamb, Chief Executive of the Citadel and I am writing to inform you that the Citadel Arts Centre is Changing.

It is with a heavy heart that I announce the Citadel building will close on 30th June 2019. However the closure of the Citadel building does not mean the end of Citadel activities. The Citadel Charity will continue its valuable work with children, young people, families, disabled, vulnerable and elderly people by working in the public realm, taking the art out to the public, rather than housing it in a venue.

The Citadel management and Board of Trustees have tried everything within our power to make the building work within present financial constraints - including fundraising over £1.2m since 2008. However, we realise the time has come to give up the Citadel building in order to keep the organisations valuable community services alive.
 When the building closes on 30th June some of the Citadelís activities will continue including St Helens Youth Theatre, Citi-Dis-Arts and theatre performances for children and families which will take place out on the streets, in communicates and in the public spaces of St Helens.

Since opening 30 years ago the Citadel has been the centre of the arts in St Helens. Itís incredibly sad to be losing this iconic venue which I know our audiences regard with such fondness. Iím proud of everything the Citadel has achieved and Iím confident we can go on to different and better performance and participation programmes in the town.

There are no words to describe how it will feel to close the doors of the Citadel building for the final time on 30th June, but closing the building is a necessary heartache if it means the fantastic work of the Citadel can continue for the people of St Helens.

I would personally like to thank all the amazing Citadel staff, participants, funders and stakeholders but most importantly you - the Citadel audience - who have loved and supported the Citadel for the past 30 years.  I hope you will join us in ensuring the final season at the Citadel Arts will leave people with fond memories of the venue for years to come.

If you would like to support the future of the Citadel Charity please donate to our Crowd Funding campaign www.crowdfunder/citadel

Fay Lamb
 Chief Executive

Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Global Moderator

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 10:42:10 AM »

That link doesn't work unfortunately.

Has any effort been made to publicly draw attention to this - and to try & raise funds to keep it open - or is this the first time it's come into the public attention? Seems a strange way of trying to get the public to support by announcing a closure, without first trying to keep it open? Who owns it - the charity or council/third party? If the latter, do the charity have a 'proper' lease or a loose agreement?

If owned, how was it bought? Public subscription? If so, oughten the public be asked before it s sold? And where do the funds go on sale? If public money bought it, shouldn't they be asked?

Not quite fishy, but questions do need asking I feel.

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 10:54:00 AM »

What is it with this world that there seems to be inexhaustible funds for things that bring misery, divisiveness, pain and violence but never enough for things that bring joy, harmony, comfort and community?
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2019, 01:39:38 PM »

What is it with this world that there seems to be inexhaustible funds for things that bring misery, divisiveness, pain and violence but never enough for things that bring joy, harmony, comfort and community?

One word answer?  Capitalism.

My partner and I are running the Chester 10k on 10 March to raise money for our local hospice, and to raise awareness of the hospice movement.  Please click on my website for more info.  Thanks.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2019, 01:59:44 PM »

One word answer? †Capitalism.
As a "nasty capitalist", I must point out that Communist countries and regimes also spend money on misery, divisiveness, pain and violence....

Wham Bam Thank You Ma'am!
DarrenWilliams

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2019, 02:27:15 PM »

Well, more specifically austerity. Central government slashes local government funding, local government cuts non-essential services (which in this case, includes funding for the Citadel).
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2019, 02:39:34 PM »

As a "nasty capitalist", I must point out that Communist countries and regimes also spend money on misery, divisiveness, pain and violence....

Ok, two words: Capitalism and Profit.  That covers the 'communist' countries too.  There's profit in weapons...bucket loads of it...and not a lot in guitar freak outs.  

My partner and I are running the Chester 10k on 10 March to raise money for our local hospice, and to raise awareness of the hospice movement.  Please click on my website for more info.  Thanks.
StephenB
something about the grinding beat

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

Some boy to be one boy - I should have been twins

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2019, 02:49:39 PM »

What the merry hell has all this got to do with Merry Hell? †🤔😉

If I could be any animal I wanted...
there'd be something really heavy going on.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2019, 04:08:45 PM »

What the merry hell has all this got to do with Merry Hell? †🤔😉

Nothing at all.  It demands action.  I've even managed to offend myself.

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2019, 05:07:36 PM »

Capitalism that places no monetary value on the arts.
I think many of the former eastern bloc countries were quite keen to have arts accessible to the masses, whereas our overlords dont give a flyingfeck and rather like to keep the arts for themselves.

The Dude abides
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: