TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
December 13, 2019, 11:53:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wickham/Wimborne/Bristol Folk Fests 2019  (Read 2191 times)
garrypbrooks

« on: December 29, 2018, 06:12:08 PM »

I usually go to one of these three but not sure what I'll do this year.....

I've been to Bristol FF a couple of times, great festival in a great city, but I'm not grabbed by Bristol  so far, the Sunday big names (Cara Dillon & Kris Drever) just aren't my cup of tea. Friday & Sat both look short of a big  headliner IMHO, maybe some will be announced.

Wimborne looks a bit more interesting, I'd like to see India Electric Co & False Lights again, and also anything with Lukas Drinkwater in it should be interesting. But there are a lot of other acts I've seen before that don't do much for me.

I notice acts are in either Minster Church or the Methodist Church this year- anyone been to these venue?

I went to Wickham about 8 years in a row, but went off it when it started getting too many has-been pop acts, got too crowded and served up too much **** beer. When they offer headliners like Level 42, Dreadzone & Gilbert O'Sullivan?? I wonder whether to unsubscribe to their emails. However, I see Iain Matthews is on the bill, must keep an eye on where else he plays in 2019.

Still, not even 2019 yet, maybe some goodies to be added to the above (and Shrewsbury), and Towersey has yet to announce its line-up.

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 07:27:53 PM »

Wickham was terrific this year but the line up for 2019 is appalling. I will be giving it a miss.
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 11:02:23 PM »

Wickham was terrific this year but the line up for 2019 is appalling. I will be giving it a miss.
You’re not wrong Al.
Unfortunately we bought our tickets while we were there this year as it seemed to be one of those festivals where you could always rely on a decent lineup.
Oh well...

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
garrypbrooks

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 09:55:15 AM »

...... it seemed to be one of those festivals where you could always rely on a decent lineup.
Oh well...

I always felt that about Wickham (and the Easter Gosport fest, run by the same bod) but in recent years I've seen less and less to entice me. Maybe there's a certain amount of diminishing returns setting in  - how many more times do I want to see the Proclaimers, Oyster Band, Spooky Men, John Tams, Show of Hands (or parts thereof), Sam Kelly...?   But the nature of the festival has changed, with so many old pop stars topping the bill and far fewer interesting newbies.  And don't start me on the erratic state of the beer!

Just my taste, I suppose - I gather ticket sales at Wickham continue to be healthy. It can't be easy booking new, fresh folky acts time after time after a festival's been running for years, and I suspect the collapse in the £ exchange rate has mean a significant reduction in the number of overseas acts within the budget of a medium-sized festival.

Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 02:05:37 PM »

Totally agree!

I think I saw you in an ice-cream parlour, drinking milk shakes cold and long
Smiling and waving and looking so fine, don't think
You knew you were in this song
Poor Will (Bill)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 06:18:33 PM »

For me, Wickham’s lineup has improved considerably with the addition of Graham Nash.
Due to play the same day as Judy Collins. I wonder if they will do anything together.

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 07:09:48 PM »

For me, Wickham’s lineup has improved considerably with the addition of Graham Nash.
Due to play the same day as Judy Collins. I wonder if they will do anything together.

Bitch about Stills, I imagine...

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
Poor Will (Bill)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 08:11:14 PM »

Bitch about Stills, I imagine...
😄😄😄

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not Perfect. Never Claimed To Be.

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 08:54:09 AM »

Given the comments above, it's worth saying that Wendy and I really enjoyed this year's acts at Wickham, with the exception of Keifer Sutherland, who is an egotistical toerag whose act was rubbish.  Sad

Wickham 2019 was the background for an E4 programme last night - "Don't Tell The Bride". This was a very partial representation of the festival on the few occasions it was mentioned and an abysmal advert. Someone's "bright" idea, no doubt.

We have never watched this series before and certainly won't bother again.  Embarrassed

See What I did in 2018  for a selection of my photos.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: