TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
June 17, 2019, 05:07:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tour, New CD & Cropredy

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Springsteen On Broadway  (Read 552 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« on: December 18, 2018, 09:50:36 PM »

I have just watched this on Netflix.

I am a huge fan of Bruce and I can see how in the intimacy of the theatre this might have been a great and memorable show but as a televisual experience I have to admit I found it a bit of a slog.

It is a surprisingly theatrical performance (and good for Bruce for finding a new way to present his work), more like a one man play than a straightforward acoustic performance , where the spoken passages actually outweigh the music but it is a somewhat patience testing two and a half hours on screen and few if any of the musical performances add a great deal to the songs. I can't imagine repeatedly sitting through the audio version which has just been released as a double CD.

Sorry Bruce. I wish I'd been there and I'm glad to have had the chance to see it but it was a struggle.
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 11:59:47 PM »

I finally watched this on holiday recently and can see what you mean Al. It does depend on how you approach the programme I think.

I expected a theatre performance of his book - Born To Run. And thatís what I got. I didnít want another concert  (seen the Tom Joad up close ones) so was keen to see how he would present his story on stage.

And for me thatís what it was, not a concert but rather a one man show of someoneís life, with songs.

I get why you thought it a slog, my wife did. But me, I thought is was just another way of an artist/genius showcasing his art.

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: