TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:55:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jethro Convention  (Read 6174 times)
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« on: December 12, 2018, 06:44:18 PM »

A lot of water has now passed under the bridge since this era, when Peggy, DM and Maart were members of Jethro Tull and even Ric guested with them so, as a fan of both bands, I'd be interested in your views. Did it benefit the Fairporters by giving them ideas and maybe even increased professionalism from the Tull experience ? Could it have threatened the very existence of FC by giving all of the musicians (except Simon !) a more profitable means of making a living ?  And, judging at least by the lack of Tull members at Cropredy, was the "divorce" an acrimonious one ?
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 07:05:58 PM »

I have no insight other than the observation that the "opening act" on the recent Ian Anderson tour was a video of various folk and folk-rock groups performing live, which included a then-recent video of Fairport Convention featuring Matt Pegg on bass.  Regardless of anything else, it was nice to see that Ian was promoting the current version of FC on his most recent American tour.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 09:21:00 PM »

Interesting question to which I would personally answer no to all. I don't think Fairport were ever lacking in ideas musically. What they never had was the promotion. Or what little they had possibly steered them towards areas they were not comfortable with (ie, Rising For The Moon with Glyn Johns). I think also with the number of sessions members did individually or collectively over the years, they were exposed to the professionalism you mention long before Peggy joined. Financially I'm sure it was never easy for them and why as Swarb said they literally did a gig for a washing machine once. But...I think they sorted it out. I don't think any member of Fairport ever had the luxury of sitting between albums and tours waiting for the next thing to pop up. They went and did things- solo tours and albums, studio sessions for ex members and for other established artists which surely made for a living, if not a profitable one. Keep in mind someone like Gerry, long before he joined Fairport was the regular drummer for Cat Stevens at the height of his popularity. Finally, as to the 'divorce', I'm not so up to speed on all of Tull matters it but my impression was Peggy definitely left amicably. I think DM was just available at that time so not a matter of any sort of animosity (didn't Gerry also do a Tull stint as drummer?). I'm unsure about Maart however.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Paolo

Loc: Parma, ITALY

Less than all can not satisfy man

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 10:03:09 AM »

Hi all (after a long time), I remember Gerry playing with Tull in the Broadsword tour, in the early eighties (I attended Bologna gig); then he played again some track in Crest of a Knave. My impression is that the Tull connection never damaged Fairport but maybe supported them (at least financially).

all the best to all

Paolo
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Coventry

Hark at me!

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 06:18:20 PM »

This interview with Matt Pegg isn't particularly flattering:

http://www.procolharum.com/prog2.htm

I'd imagine Ian's role as the bandleader and manager (Isn't all done in house these days? I've seen interviews where he talks about using cheap flights to keep costs and ticket prices down) is far more stressful than just being a salaried musician. I'd expect a certain disconnect between him and the others.

"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 04:26:03 PM »

Interesting comments all. I'd forgotten about Gerry - he was the only one to be in JT first. And then there's the Tull / Steeleye connection...  Merry Christmas everybody  Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: