TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
August 24, 2019, 03:55:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MP3 Storage  (Read 4079 times)
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not Perfect. Never Claimed To Be.

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2019, 09:52:24 AM »

iTunes isn't a backup. You can lose access for a number of reasons, but more to the point no-one else is (should be) allowed access. Backing up CDs to hard disk allows you to pass them on when you die.

See What I did in 2018  for a selection of my photos.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2019, 10:34:02 AM »

iTunes isn't a backup. You can lose access for a number of reasons, but more to the point no-one else is (should be) allowed access. Backing up CDs to hard disk allows you to pass them on when you die.

Indeed. Mrs. K has spent a frustrating few evenings tracking down a bunch of files that she knows she has on iTunes but which the mercurial server has declined to transfer over to her new (Microsoft) laptop. I’ve heard tell of iTunes substituting alternate versions of the same songs during ‘upgrades’. In the same fashion, you don’t ‘own’ the books on your Kindle in the same way you do as if they’re sitting on your bookshelf.

Just found out the wasp I killed yesterday was a wasp cop who was too old for this s**t and only one week away from retirement. Feel awful.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2019, 11:05:13 AM »

I should back up my music files?  Huh

I thought putting my cds on to iTunes was a kind of backing up?

What if the backup doesn't work?

I was given an external thingy with a load of videos on it, but it needed two usb ports to run. I only had one accessible,  because of the thingy for my keyboard and I can't get at the ones on the back.

:-(  So much for being an Information Scientist.

Using ITunes to rip your CDs (as I do) does create a file on your PC for each track on the CD, usually in an ITunes folder which the software creates in the the PC's Music folder but you can choose for the files to be saved elsewhere (as I have). However this still only leaves you with one copy of each file so they are not backed up. If something happens to your PC's hard drive you may lose them all. In order to back them up you need to copy the folder to an entirely different drive so that you have at least two independently stored versions.. This will also preserve your ITunes library data (playlists etc) to be reinstalled to ITunes should the original source folder be lost for some reason.

The Itunes folder is a mixture of actual media files (Mp3s or whatever format you use) and other data regarding the way in which your ITunes content is organised. The media files themselves are available for any other music player too and do not have to be played back using ITunes itself. My Itunes folder is the source for playback via my Sonos system/app.
Pugwash
Left hand down a bit
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: The East Midland Sea, currently.

The star formerly known as Gareth

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2019, 11:11:26 AM »

All our music is backed up on huge disks I change them from time to time.

Our Cds amount to just over 103GB which conveniently fit, for the time being, on a 128 data stick Ł20 eBay very handy for the car.

Having said that it takes a while to find stuff so I tend to have favs saved to a smaller data stick. Change it quite often as I soon find I'm bored with my selection.

AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2019, 11:49:56 AM »

I have one of these FiiO X3iii (3rd gen) High Resolution Digital Audio Player Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0743CYBH2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_gPJsCbPD29V5Z I like it anyway!

I have a FiiO X5ii 2nd Generation Audio Player and DAC with 2 x 200 GB memory cards. In general it is very good, but suffers from two major flaws:

The library cannot cope with the number of tracks I have, so I can only use it by navigating through the directory structure.

It does not cope at all well with non MP3 conformant files masquerading as MP3.

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2019, 12:04:36 PM »

Generic advice for MP3 storage
Keep the master on a PC or NAS.
Backup the master Mp3 collection, along with anything else you cherish, to a rotating pool of external disks. I use rsync. Windows users could use robocopy.
Regard anything stored on portable music players as ephemeral. One day it will break or you will lose it.

Amazingly the Archos Gmini XS 202s 20GB MP3 Player containing a real spinning disk that I bought in 2006 still works.

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2019, 04:45:13 PM »

I have one of these FiiO X3iii (3rd gen) High Resolution Digital Audio Player Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0743CYBH2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_gPJsCbPD29V5Z I like it anyway!

I have a FiiO X5ii 2nd Generation Audio Player and DAC with 2 x 200 GB memory cards. In general it is very good, but suffers from two major flaws:

The library cannot cope with the number of tracks I have, so I can only use it by navigating through the directory structure.

It does not cope at all well with non MP3 conformant files masquerading as MP3.
I must admit it definitely has issues it has a habit of not saving the artist and thing getting put in a unknown file and sometime when backing up it puts tracks on again sometimes in different formats... Otherwise it's great

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2019, 12:30:15 PM »

Thank you all for your posts on this subject.

Mike and I are no longer moving, not for the foreseeable anyway, so I've decided to keep most of my CDs. There are a lot of compilations and a few duplicates I'm going to give to the charity shop, but the rest will be packed up in plastic storage boxes and stored in the attic.

I still have an old iPod and a lot of it will get transferred onto that, but the rest can sit in the Cloud where I can easily access it, as long as I have WiFi.

Now to look at all my DVDs.....  Undecided  Grin

Confusion will be my epitaph
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: