TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
August 19, 2019, 05:53:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unthanks Unaccompanied As we Are 2019  (Read 1903 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« on: November 08, 2018, 07:31:12 PM »

Super excited about this.

http://www.the-unthanks.com/tour-dates/

I'm off to Cardiff  Smiley

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 06:45:03 AM »

Annoyingly, work is getting in the way of this.  I have a spare ticket (PDF) if anyone is looking for one (Cardiff Tramshed next Tuesday) - it's sold out.

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 09:58:38 AM »

Having seen the Unthhanks a few times I am finding them all a bit serious and ‘ academic, reverential’. A little too arty, too self aware.
A distinct lack of fun ....but it’s probably me....
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 10:10:12 AM by hendo (Dave) » Logged
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 07:51:29 PM »

Having seen the Unthhanks a few times I am finding them all a bit serious and ‘ academic, reverential’. A little too arty, too self aware.
A distinct lack of fun ....but it’s probably me....

No Dave, you’ve hit the nail on the head. I’ve seen them twice, extremely talented but no fun. Life’s too short....

Confusion will be my epitaph
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 08:52:21 PM »

No idea when you've both seen them, but they've had me in tears (of sadness and of laughter).  They're everything that's great about 'folk' music, and not in the slightest academic or reverential.  I think, anyway.  Horses, courses...

blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 09:29:03 PM »

No idea when you've both seen them, but they've had me in tears (of sadness and of laughter).  They're everything that's great about 'folk' music, and not in the slightest academic or reverential.  I think, anyway.  Horses, courses...

I've seen them twice recently too, first time dull dreary and up their own @rse second time enthralling and engaging  ... both times don't remember laughing though.
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 09:49:14 PM »

Like I said ...probably me....
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 09:51:47 PM »

I've seen them twice recently too, first time dull dreary and up their own @rse second time enthralling and engaging  ... both times don't remember laughing though.

Fun doesn’t mean laughing. For me it’s a lightness of touch. Steeleye , recently, played magnificently, honoured the tradition but played with ‘fun’. I.E looked like they were enjoying it.....
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 11:54:18 PM »

The Unthanks?
No thanks.

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not Perfect. Never Claimed To Be.

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 12:50:02 AM »

They're like Marmite I suppose. However, although I like Marmite, I've only liked one song of theirs, "The King Of Rome". Which wasn't theirs, but the performance was good.

See What I did in 2018  for a selection of my photos.
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2019, 01:59:33 AM »

Absolutely love them.
To me they are one of the few acts in the folk world doing anything remotely original.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2019, 02:19:38 AM »

They're like Marmite I suppose. However, although I like Marmite, I've only liked one song of theirs, "The King Of Rome". Which wasn't theirs, but the performance was good.

Ditto.
(Lucy Ward’s version is spine-tinglingly superb)

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2019, 08:01:03 AM »

Please excuse me if I sound a bit p1ssed off but I was trying to sell a ****ing ticket here, not have a discussion about how good the band I was trying to sell the ticket for was.  Or not.  Ok?

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2019, 11:07:22 AM »

Probably the dullest thing I've ever seen. But Steeleye with the current line up, now you're talking.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2019, 11:39:34 AM »

Please excuse me if I sound a bit p1ssed off but I was trying to sell a ****ing ticket here, not have a discussion about how good the band I was trying to sell the ticket for was.  Or not.  Ok?

I would want to go but I currently can't drive, three of their concerts are in my top ten, the shipbuilding project, with an orchestra at Stollers Hall and at Leeds town hall doing the Emily Bronte stuff. There always seems to be a backlash against acts who have purity in there vocals (such as Kate Rusby) and popularity is often off putting. But whatever you think of them they are always interesting and don't rest on their laurels unless their laurels involve singing well and producing interesting harmonies. Still June Tabors version of king of rome is my favourite, and from there output I tend not to go back to the Antony and the Johnsons, Roberet Wyatt album as much. Still each to their own. Popularity and purity of vocals does tend to bring certain people out of the woodwork and it's lovely to hear from them!

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2019, 11:01:29 PM »

Have you tried the venue? They might have a waiting list...

Confusion will be my epitaph
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2019, 01:23:24 PM »

Crikey. Chill.
It’s a discussion board too, and you are free with your opinions on other threads, so I don’t quite understand your anger.

Hope you sell your ticket.

hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2019, 03:32:01 PM »

Sorry David. I apologise. We must police these threads more carefully so it doesn’t happen again. Otherwise it would just be like a discussion forum or people chatting..... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Lips Sealed Smiley
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2019, 03:36:33 PM »

I would want to go but I currently can't drive, three of their concerts are in my top ten, the shipbuilding project, with an orchestra at Stollers Hall and at Leeds town hall doing the Emily Bronte stuff. There always seems to be a backlash against acts who have purity in there vocals (such as Kate Rusby) and popularity is often off putting. But whatever you think of them they are always interesting and don't rest on their laurels unless their laurels involve singing well and producing interesting harmonies. Still June Tabors version of king of rome is my favourite, and from there output I tend not to go back to the Antony and the Johnsons, Roberet Wyatt album as much. Still each to their own. Popularity and purity of vocals does tend to bring certain people out of the woodwork and it's lovely to hear from them!

Probably not the thread to discuss this Brendan but I am probably influenced by folk clubs of the sixties when some clubs treated the tradition with such reverence that it became arid.
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2019, 04:57:22 PM »

Probably the dullest thing I've ever seen. But Steeleye with the current line up, now you're talking.

Not the absolute dullest, but certainly dull the three times I've seen them. You're right about Steeleye, great fun last year at Salop.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: