TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
December 10, 2018, 09:53:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tour, New CD & Cropredy

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 78's  (Read 1113 times)
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« on: August 21, 2018, 03:47:51 PM »

I no longer own a proper turntable , however I do possess a wind-up gramophone (HMV Model 101 Portable from around 1926).

I enjoy listening to the old 78ís -  Fats Waller, Leslie Sarony, Flanagan and Allen, Billy Cotton etc  and particularly when playing them outside in the open air.  I think that underlying hiss and crackle of the needle scraping on the shellac and the expectation that at any moment the record might gradually slow down or get stuck or jump adds something truly organic and exciting to the music and very fitting for a picnic or garden tea party.

However I would really love to hear some more modern music played on the device.  So I am wondering if anyone had come across anywhere that does transfers from digital music onto 78s (no idea how copyright might work) or indeed is there anyone out there still publishes music on 78s?
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 04:14:23 PM »

From Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonograph_record#78_rpm_releases_in_the_microgroove_era

In 1978, guitarist and vocalist Leon Redbone released a promotional 78 rpm record featuring two songs ("Alabama Jubilee" and "Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone") from his Champagne Charlie album.

In 1980, Stiff Records in the United Kingdom issued a 78 by Joe "King" Carrasco containing the songs "Buena" (Spanish for "good," with the alternate spelling "Bueno" on the label) and "Tuff Enuff". Underground comic cartoonist and 78 rpm record collector Robert Crumb released three vinyl 78s by his Cheap Suit Serenaders in the 1970s.

In the 1990s Rhino Records issued a series of boxed sets of 78 rpm reissues of early rock and roll hits, intended for owners of vintage jukeboxes. The records were made of vinyl, however, and some of the earlier vintage 78 rpm jukeboxes and record players (the ones that were pre-war) were designed with heavy tone arms to play the hard slate-impregnated shellac records of their time. These vinyl Rhino 78's were softer and would be destroyed by old juke boxes and old record players, but play very well on newer 78-capable turntables with modern lightweight tone arms and jewel needles.

As a special release for Record Store Day 2011, Capitol re-released The Beach Boys single "Good Vibrations" in the form of a 10-inch 78 rpm record (b/w "Heroes and Villains"). More recently, The Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band has released their tribute to blues guitarist Charley Patton Peyton on both 12-inch LP and 10-inch 78 rpm. Both are accompanied with a link to a digital download of the music, acknowledging the probability that purchasers might be unable to play the vinyl recording.

Now be thankful for good things below
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 04:28:54 PM »

Thanks Jules ....well I never!  I will investigate these further.
spooley (Simon)

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 04:37:20 PM »

It might be worth getting in touch with "dj78" ... http://www.dj78.co.uk/contact/
He crops up from time to time on Cerys Matthews' 6 Music show on Sunday mornings, although I haven't heard him on the radio for a while.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 10:37:18 PM »

I have some 8 track cassettes which I can no longer play. I do have a photographic device that takes was cylinders a d was wondering if anyone knows of a service that can transfer my Staedler brothers collection to was cyliders, that they might once again ring out, and I can hear Flowers on the wall on the medium for which it was first intended.

The Dude abides
Paul
I've Got A Bike

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 10:14:38 PM »

I have an 8 track player in my car, but haven't managed to get it working.

I used to drive a 1929 charabanc, and we fitted that with a sound system based on a portable(ish) 78 player. Damn needle jumped at every bump.

Paul

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 06:20:51 AM »

I used to drive a 1929 charabanc, and we fitted that with a sound system based on a portable(ish) 78 player. Damn needle jumped at every bump.

Paul

What's the motor?  Got to be something nice... Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right
Paul
I've Got A Bike

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 10:06:56 PM »

Paul

What's the motor? †Got to be something nice... Smiley

Triumph Vitesse.

I think I need to renew the dashboard wiring. Probably not helped by the fact that it has been swapped from positive to negative earth recently.

Paul

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 10:16:20 PM »

Paul

"Fresh fish...Fresh fish!"  Wink
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2018, 06:44:03 AM »

Paul

What's the motor? †Got to be something nice... Smiley

Triumph Vitesse.

I think I need to renew the dashboard wiring. Probably not helped by the fact that it has been swapped from positive to negative earth recently.

Paul

That's my other half's dream motor.  When we win the lottery, we'll have a Vitesse, a Mini, a Traveller and a Land Rover SIII.  And probably something else to get from A to B for when the other four aren't working  Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2018, 08:38:33 AM »

Paul

"Fresh fish...Fresh fish!" †Wink

😂😂😂

The Dude abides
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: