TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
December 10, 2018, 09:51:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tour, New CD & Cropredy

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 13 Rivers review?  (Read 779 times)
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!

I'm a llama!

« on: October 09, 2018, 01:02:18 PM »

Iím contemplating downloading RTís latest for my work commute tomorrow. However, the tracks Iíve heard so far seem ok, but not amazing. Have any of you fine folk purchased it, and if so, how does it compare against his recent releases?
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Global Moderator

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 01:09:15 PM »

I think it counts as one of his strongest....

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 01:16:15 PM »

I think it counts as one of his strongest....

Whereas I think it is just "another RT album". Well up to the standards set by the last few but not especially distinctive or memorable. The second half is stronger than the first.

I also find it frustrating that he keeps referring to it as a response to difficulties in his private life but not elaborating. I have no wish to know the details of his private life but why mention it at all if he is not prepared to explain how they relate to the record?
Chris
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 01:38:05 PM »

He split with Nancy about 18 months ago.

Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 01:44:16 PM »

After a couple of listens I really like it. It sounds to me to be a more guitar based than his last few, if that makes sense. There aren't any guitar epics like 'Can't win' or 'Hard on me' but his guitar playing sounds harder edged than of late. I might just be me, as I haven't heard anyone else saying it though.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 01:51:45 PM »

He split with Nancy about 18 months ago.

And possibly the passing of Pete Zorn as well? I think it is a very strong album. The complaint I have had about most of the last albums was that the songs did not shine as much and as I've said here before, once the initial listen is over, I'd be hard pressed to hum a few bars. I feel very differently about 13 Rivers however. I'm picking up the lyrics after a few listens, I'm hearing the music, I'm even remembering exactly what and how the solo sounds like, and that has not been happening  too much lately. I'd say already that this might be the first RT album since Rumor & Sigh that will be immersive for me. And the talk of the guitar vanishing or not being as prevalent I heartily disagree with!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 01:58:33 PM »

His best since Sweet Warrior or even maybe The Old Kit Bag. I'm finding the songs a lot more engaging than anything on Electric or Still and although the overall feel is a tad bleak there's an energy there that I haven't heard for quite a few albums.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 01:59:53 PM »

His best since Sweet Warrior or even maybe The Old Kit Bag. I'm finding the songs a lot more engaging than anything on Electric or Still and although the overall feel is a tad bleak there's an energy there that I haven't heard for quite a few albums.

Richard Thompson bleak?† Surely not! Shocked

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Dan O.
I was the face of 2001
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 03:12:24 PM »

I refer you to my post in "Listening to", September 14th †:

"...it's quite similar to the last two or three albums, not the "startling return to form" I've been reading about in the almost universally good reviews. However, some of it is proving to be more memorable than either Still or Electric. Looking forward to seeing him play it live.* "

* to which end I shall be at The New Victoria Theatre in Woking on November 3rd.
Chris
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 03:37:12 PM »

Will see you there.....

Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 04:07:17 PM »

After a couple of listens I really like it. It sounds to me to be a more guitar based than his last few, if that makes sense. There aren't any guitar epics like 'Can't win' or 'Hard on me' but his guitar playing sounds harder edged than of late. I might just be me, as I haven't heard anyone else saying it though.

I endorse this message.

Just found out the wasp I killed yesterday was a wasp cop who was too old for this s**t and only one week away from retirement. Feel awful.
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!

I'm a llama!

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 06:15:56 PM »

Thanks all - downloaded!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: