TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
August 20, 2019, 10:42:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ryan Adams goes slightly insane!  (Read 6450 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2019, 06:43:06 AM »

A friend elsewhere has been pointing out how awful his reputation has been for aeons.  It's far to easy to confuse and conflate being a complete arse with addiction.  The latter is often used to mask the former.  A great pity as the bloke is (or was) an awesome songwriter.

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
Cool Cat
ANONYMOUS MEMBER

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2019, 10:07:14 AM »

I was really sorry to read this.  We know heís not perfect.  Heís been in the music business for quite a while and gone through the excesses of substance misuse and cleaned up.  He suffers with Meniereís Disease. He is bi polar.

I love his music and have seen him live many times (hopefully including next month at the Royal Albert Hall).

I donít see the point in judging someone by what ex partners say, and itís none of my business.  It was stupid of him to getting into the sexting thing with a fan who was not as old as she said she was.  Anyone who is even a tiny bit famous should have their radar switched on.
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2019, 01:36:29 PM »

I don't think I have ever (knowingly) heard a song by Ryan Adams. I know he's been around for yonks and has been moderately successful, he just hasn't impinged on me aurally.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2019, 02:37:33 PM »

I don't think I have ever (knowingly) heard a song by Ryan Adams. I know he's been around for yonks and has been moderately successful, he just hasn't impinged on me aurally.

I'm with you there.  I always think Bryan Adams when I hear the name!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Cool Cat
ANONYMOUS MEMBER

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2019, 03:27:20 PM »

Albie, if you are curious, get a copy of 'Heatbreaker'
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2019, 04:06:25 PM »

Albie, if you are curious, get a copy of 'Heatbreaker'

And Whiskeytown's Strangers's Almanac, still possibly the best album Ryan has done for me. Such a terrific band that broke up far too early. I was at one of the two Borderline shows in '98 on their only visit over here and, and even though Ryan was completely off his head and moaning all night about the hired equipment, you could just see he was a special talent who was heading for something bigger. For anyone dipping in their toes for the first time I'd recommend some caution - he's always been very prolific, possibly too prolific, and could have done with a bit more self-editing at times, but for the most part all his albums are all worthwhile. Heartbreaker, as Cool Cat said, is a good introduction as is its follow-up Gold, although stylistically its quite different, and Cold Roses is full of wonderful stuff, but quite different again.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2019, 04:33:45 PM »

I'm with you there. †I always think Bryan Adams when I hear the name!

The similarity of those names being one of the first things likely to tip Ryan over the edge.

A music writer of my acquaintance admitted this week that he'd also never heard of Ryan.  I was incredulous.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2019, 07:18:36 PM »

Amusing facts in rock part 243.  Bryan and Ryan Adams, share a birthday: 5 Nov '59 and 5 Nov '74.

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2019, 12:46:05 PM »

Interesting piece on R4 "You and Yours" (there's a first time for everything) about fans requesting refunds for RA concert tickets because they no longer want to support him due to these allegations.

What should the venue / ticket agent do - should they refund because you have fallen out of love with an act for whatever reason?

DW
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2019, 04:42:50 PM »

Interesting piece on R4 "You and Yours" (there's a first time for everything) about fans requesting refunds for RA concert tickets because they no longer want to support him due to these allegations.

What should the venue / ticket agent do - should they refund because you have fallen out of love with an act for whatever reason?

DW

Personally, I think that's a classic example of people not taking responsibility for their own decisions (which happens so often these days).  How is it anything whatsoever to do with the venue/ticket agency?  Promoter and Ryan himself is a different issue.  I suspect some of the gigs may be slightly challenging for him....

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2019, 09:15:51 PM »

Article on whether the tour is tenable or not.. https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/feb/28/ryan-adams-uk-tour-tickets-criminal-investigation

Cool Cat
ANONYMOUS MEMBER

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2019, 10:44:31 AM »

And now the UK tour is cancelled    Angry
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2019, 12:48:16 PM »

And now the UK tour is cancelled † †Angry

Inevitable, I think. https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/mar/01/ryan-adams-cancels-uk-and-ireland-tour

mightyglydd

Loc: Hollywood California

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2019, 03:49:59 PM »

Maybe Ryan should hire Gene Simmons lawyer ? Roll Eyes
mightyglydd

Loc: Hollywood California

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2019, 04:00:54 PM »

Aah, ^ not funny, apologies.. Should have paid more attention to the RA accusations.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: