TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
August 19, 2019, 01:37:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Smithsonian Folkways - Pete Seeger  (Read 650 times)
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Global Moderator

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« on: February 19, 2019, 02:45:51 PM »

Anyone into Pete? Pretty much a definitive collection released on May 3....it's not cheap, but the book is a tome in itself

Coming May 2019, Pete Seeger The Smithsonian Folkways Collection is a career-spanning anthology of one of America’s most quintessential, celebrated, and influential musicians. Featuring classic recordings, 20 previously unreleased tracks, historic live performances, and special collaborations, this set encompasses over 60 years of Pete’s Folkways catalog, released on the occasion of his 100th birthday.

He was a singer, a rebel, and a voice of the people. With a banjo and a selfless dedication to justice and the transformative power of music, he inspired all of humanity to question the status quo, to sing out and speak up against oppression wherever they witnessed it. His body of work reflects a deep reverence for the earth and all of those who walk on it; you can hear it in his voice and in the voices of the thousands of people who sang and continue to sing with him every day.

This collection features a large-format 200-page book with hundreds of pages of essays, commentary, photographs, history, and liner notes, alongside 6 CDs of classic and unreleased music pulled from throughout Seeger’s career.

Pre-Order Box Set
(6CDs/Book) $120.98
Album Info
Catalog Number
SFW40225
Year Released
Label/Collection
Smithsonian Folkways Recordings
Genre(s)
American Folk; Struggle & Protest

UK orders shipped Fedex economy adding another us$17 to the bill. I'm hoping for a stockist in the UK....

https://folkways.si.edu/pete-seeger/the-smithsonian-folkways-collection

John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 04:14:42 PM »

I should do this.

We were in upstate NY, near Woodstock/Bethel for a festival in 1998. We saw on the local news that then-79 year old Woodstock resident Pete Seeger was holding a protest outside a Wal-Mart, McDonald's, or something.  I think he was picketing, by himself, against their labor practices.  He really walked the walk.  I wish we had driven over to say hi, and bring him a cup of coffee.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 08:13:44 PM »

Anyone into Pete? Pretty much a definitive collection released on May 3....it's not cheap, but the book is a tome in itself

Coming May 2019, Pete Seeger The Smithsonian Folkways Collection is a career-spanning anthology of one of America’s most quintessential, celebrated, and influential musicians. Featuring classic recordings, 20 previously unreleased tracks, historic live performances, and special collaborations, this set encompasses over 60 years of Pete’s Folkways catalog, released on the occasion of his 100th birthday.

He was a singer, a rebel, and a voice of the people. With a banjo and a selfless dedication to justice and the transformative power of music, he inspired all of humanity to question the status quo, to sing out and speak up against oppression wherever they witnessed it. His body of work reflects a deep reverence for the earth and all of those who walk on it; you can hear it in his voice and in the voices of the thousands of people who sang and continue to sing with him every day.

This collection features a large-format 200-page book with hundreds of pages of essays, commentary, photographs, history, and liner notes, alongside 6 CDs of classic and unreleased music pulled from throughout Seeger’s career.

Pre-Order Box Set
(6CDs/Book) $120.98
Album Info
Catalog Number
SFW40225
Year Released
Label/Collection
Smithsonian Folkways Recordings
Genre(s)
American Folk; Struggle & Protest

UK orders shipped Fedex economy adding another us$17 to the bill. I'm hoping for a stockist in the UK....

https://folkways.si.edu/pete-seeger/the-smithsonian-folkways-collection

£97.57 from Amazon uk.
But you are saving on the import duty and the GPO charge for collecting the duty apart from the postage/shipping.

The Dude abides
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 08:58:09 PM »

This is just a hopeful punt, but I suspect this might be cheaper 6 months down the line.  I hope so, anyway.

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: