TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
December 11, 2018, 11:46:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tour, New CD & Cropredy

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beach Boys albums  (Read 1655 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« on: October 01, 2018, 04:24:50 PM »

Edit: Extracted from the Listening To thread as it seems to have developed a thread of its own...

Friends - The Beach Boys. It really is entirely lovely and inexplicable why it was so disregarded when it was first released (1968), albeit it is a bit short.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 04:43:33 PM »

Friends - The Beach Boys. It really is entirely lovely and inexplicable why it was so disregarded when it was first released (1968), albeit it is a bit short.

They'd fallen out of fashion.  That's the reason.  It's a lovely album, but the general mood of 1968 was miles away from the gentle homespun whimsy of Friends.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 09:58:41 PM »

They'd fallen out of fashion.  That's the reason.  It's a lovely album, but the general mood of 1968 was miles away from the gentle homespun whimsy of Friends.

Jules

My instinct was to refute that as the widom of hindsight unsupported by evidence but actually I have just looked at a list of albums released in 1968 and there is not much "mellow" it is true more's the pity. In fact, Friends did OK in the UK, reaching number 15 in the album chart I think.

Anyway, I followed it up with 20/20, Carl & The Passions...So Tough and Holland.

It is a shame in a way that Pet Sounds towers over the rest of the Beach Boys catalogue so much because the run of albums from Smiley Smile to Holland really is splendid,
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 10:30:18 PM »

It is a shame in a way that Pet Sounds towers over the rest of the Beach Boys catalogue so much because the run of albums from Smiley Smile to Holland really is splendid

Pet Sounds is Brian's last fully supervised masterpiece though (Smile doesn't count because it was left unfinished).

Smiley Smile is downright odd, and half-baked (or, in some instances, totally baked!).

Wild Honey is very underproduced.

Friends is beautiful, but so mellow that it's almost soporific.

20/20 is a grab-bag, but good in spots.

Sunflower through to Holland are true group albums, and terrific, but a wholly different proposition.  I actually prefer them to Pet Sounds, but they're not the sort of music that most people identify with The Beach Boys.

All in all, I can see why Pet Sounds remains the yardstick, even if it's not my personal favourite.  The legend is that Brian was the genius, so the most celebrated Beach Boys album has to be one that he directed.

Jules

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 10:51:14 PM »

It is a shame in a way that Pet Sounds towers over the rest of the Beach Boys catalogue so much because the run of albums from Smiley Smile to Holland really is splendid

Pet Sounds is Brian's last fully supervised masterpiece though (Smile doesn't count because it was left unfinished).

Smiley Smile is downright odd, and half-baked (or, in some instances, totally baked!).

Wild Honey is very underproduced.

Friends is beautiful, but so mellow that it's almost soporific.

20/20 is a grab-bag, but good in spots.

Sunflower through to Holland are true group albums, and terrific, but a wholly different proposition.  I actually prefer them to Pet Sounds, but they're not the sort of music that most people identify with The Beach Boys.

All in all, I can see why Pet Sounds remains the yardstick, even if it's not my personal favourite.  The legend is that Brian was the genius, so the most celebrated Beach Boys album has to be one that he directed.

Jules

Yes, I am not denying that Pet Sounds is their most fully formed album and their pinnacle but its reputation tends to disproportionately overshadow the subsequent albums which are consistently enjoyable even if they are less cohesive

Smiley Smile
- Yes it is odd but that's what I like about it. It is almost ambient in places.

Disagree about Wild Honey being underproduced, particularly on the remastered version issued as part of last year's magnificent 1967 set. Probably my personal favourite Beach Boys album.

Sure 20/20 is a cut and paste job but a high quality one which stands up all the way through.

i agree that Carl & The Passions and Holland drift too far from the template not to be recognisably the same band. Not so much Sunflower and Surf's Up though. I think there is plenty on those two albums that evokes or updates the classic sound, This Whole World, Add Some Music To Your Day, Our Sweet Love, Cool Cool Water, Disney Girls, Til I Die and of course Surf's Up.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 10:35:19 AM »

This month's Mojo (issue 300) - which has the White Album as it's cover inspiration and main feature, has a How To Buy The Beach Boys article...

Da-da-da-dadadaaaaa - cue Alan 'Fluff' Freeman voice :

10. LA (Light Album)
9. Love You
8. Good Vibrations 5 disc box
7. The Smile Sessions
6. Smiley Smile/Wild Honey
5. Carl And The Passions- So Tough/Holland
4. Friends/20/20
3. Today/ Summer Days (And Summer Nights)
2. Surf's Up/Sunflower
1. Pet Sounds

Not arf.

Indeed, which is what prompted my listening yesterday. Hard to argue with that list, though I would put them in a slightly different order.

Interesting to read the assessment of The Smile Sessions that for all the hoopla that surrounded its release, it is not actually a very satisfying listening experience and that Brian's solo recreation is a more enjoyable record. I have always thought that. Heresy I know.
Dan O.
I was the face of 2001
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 12:04:25 PM »

This month's Mojo (issue 300) - which has the White Album as it's cover inspiration and main feature, has a How To Buy The Beach Boys article...

Da-da-da-dadadaaaaa - cue Alan 'Fluff' Freeman voice :

10. LA (Light Album)
9. Love You
8. Good Vibrations 5 disc box
7. The Smile Sessions
6. Smiley Smile/Wild Honey
5. Carl And The Passions- So Tough/Holland
4. Friends/20/20
3. Today/ Summer Days (And Summer Nights)
2. Surf's Up/Sunflower
1. Pet Sounds

Not arf.

Indeed, which is what prompted my listening yesterday. Hard to argue with that list, though I would put them in a slightly different order.

Interesting to read the assessment of The Smile Sessions that for all the hoopla that surrounded its release, it is not actually a very satisfying listening experience and that Brian's solo recreation is a more enjoyable record. I have always thought that. Heresy I know.

Not heresy at all, I completely agree with you. I see the Smile sessions as a fascinating historical document gathering together fragments previously only available on bootlegs. Brian Wilson Presents Smile is a representation of how the Smile album might have sounded had he been able to finish it in 1967.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 02:51:45 PM »

Not heresy at all, I completely agree with you. I see the Smile sessions as a fascinating historical document gathering together fragments previously only available on bootlegs. Brian Wilson Presents Smile is a representation of how the Smile album might have sounded had he been able to finish it in 1967.

I reckon I agree with this too.

Here's my Beach Boys top 10, since you didn't ask:

10. LA (Light Album)
9. The Beach Boys Today
8. Carl & The Passions - So Tough
7. 20/20
6. The Smile Sessions
5. Pet Sounds
4. Friends
3. Holland
2. Surf's Up
1. Sunflower

Jules

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 10:53:28 PM »

For any Beach Boys nerds, I heartily recommend settling down with some of these recording session educational videos by engineering genius Stephen Desper. Lots of information, lots of audio, lots of amazing work and ingenuity. So good and so informative. The creativity is mind blowing.

http://swdstudyvideos.com/index---3.html

Jules

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2018, 01:23:16 PM »

I reckon I agree with this too.

Here's my Beach Boys top 10, since you didn't ask:

10. LA (Light Album)
9. The Beach Boys Today
8. Carl & The Passions - So Tough
7. 20/20
6. The Smile Sessions
5. Pet Sounds
4. Friends
3. Holland
2. Surf's Up
1. Sunflower

Jules

Not much to argue with there...although Holland is my default No.1.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 02:58:33 PM »

Never heard this Holland outtake before, clearly another Blondie and Ricky number:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bV4xsbTZik

Jules

Dan O.
I was the face of 2001
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 03:14:06 PM »

Never heard this Holland outtake before, clearly another Blondie and Ricky number:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bV4xsbTZik

Jules

That's nice, Jules, thanks for sharing, never heard this one before either.

Holland is the last truly great Beach Boys album, one last burst of creativity before the Endless Summer compilation turned them forever into a travelling oldies band...in 1974 !
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2018, 04:05:15 PM »

Holland is the last truly great Beach Boys album, one last burst of creativity before the Endless Summer compilation turned them forever into a travelling oldies band...in 1974

True enough, except that I would maybe allow that half of the LA (Light Album) made some attempt at trying to be creative.  And there's more than a few with a fondness for the more than a little quirky The Beach Boys Love You, though that was largely a solo Brian project.

Jules

Dan O.
I was the face of 2001
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2018, 05:06:08 PM »

Holland is the last truly great Beach Boys album, one last burst of creativity before the Endless Summer compilation turned them forever into a travelling oldies band...in 1974

True enough, except that I would maybe allow that half of the LA (Light Album) made some attempt at trying to be creative.  And there's more than a few with a fondness for the more than a little quirky The Beach Boys Love You, though that was largely a solo Brian project.

Jules

Oh yes, I agree there are glimpses of the magic after Holland, but they're few and far between.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2018, 05:16:25 PM »

Jules

Oh yes, I agree there are glimpses of the magic after Holland, but they're few and far between.

I think the most recent "reunion" album is pretty solid apart from one egregious Mike Love son. It is a cobbled together version of the band but a decent effort none the less with some high quality contributions from Brian.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2018, 05:19:17 PM »

I think the most recent "reunion" album is pretty solid apart from one egregious Mike Love son

g

Wink

Jules

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2018, 05:23:13 PM »

I think the most recent "reunion" album is pretty solid apart from one egregious Mike Love son

g

Wink

Jules

Gee, thanks!  Wink
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2018, 06:22:11 PM »

This is a more familiar Holland outtake.  It made it as far as an initial pressing of the LP, but then was substituted by Sail On Sailor.  It's a bonus track on the recent (very expensive) Japanese SACD reissue of Holland:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhQ12blE-y0

Jules

Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2018, 09:25:55 PM »

This is a more familiar Holland outtake.  It made it as far as an initial pressing of the LP, but then was substituted by Sail On Sailor.  It's a bonus track on the recent (very expensive) Japanese SACD reissue of Holland:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhQ12blE-y0

Jules

I really like this track, I only know the Beach Boys through the obvious singles and Pet sounds, never explored further. This is quite different to what I expected, in a good way.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2018, 10:44:18 PM »

I really like this track, I only know the Beach Boys through the obvious singles and Pet sounds, never explored further. This is quite different to what I expected, in a good way.

It was written by two guys who didn't even join the band until, what, 1972, so yes, a whole other thing.

Jules

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: