TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
December 11, 2018, 11:49:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tour, New CD & Cropredy

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to do with CDs  (Read 2235 times)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« on: September 24, 2018, 11:15:15 PM »

Not sure if this is the correct place for this but it will do!

I've been putting all my CDs onto iTunes over the last few weeks and I've now got about 400 CDs to dispose of. I tried Music Magpie but was being offered 19p and 23p for CDs that I know I paid £15.00 for! The maximum they offered was £85p - and there's no guarantee they'll give you that when they get the CD!  Shocked  

I'm not a fan of car boot sales, but is this the only way I'll get anything back on them? A friend was at a car boot last weekend and said CDs are selling for £1.00 each  Undecided I was hoping for a bit more than that!  

Anyone got any other ideas?

Wham Bam Thank You Ma'am!
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 11:23:11 PM »

You'll get more, but definitely not a not more, if you use Ziffit.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 11:58:41 PM »

eBay is an option. You have several choices...you can flog 'em all individually at a 'buy it now' price or as auctions, or as a series of job lots - by artist or genre. There are free listings days every now and then, when you don't have to pay to put them on there. Or post a list on here by request via private message, if that's not against the rules.

You could try Discogs too. It's worth looking on there to see what titles you have sell for, to help you decide what price to ask.

Well I never did..
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 04:31:40 AM »

My advice-don't actually get rid of them! If computer related catastrophe strikes, you might lose some, or a portion of the music. If it is a space consideration, maybe get the binders to put the CD and sleeve in, thus reducing the amount of space they take up on a shelf or what have you. I have lost music on Itunes before and I would be devastated to lose the music altogether. If they are not rarities, I doubt you will get much for them. If they are rarities in a particular genre...say folk, you still may not get much for them. Mike is right that Ebay is a good option, but its also a lot of work getting them posted. I say hold on to them and put them in storage.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!

Loc: Isle of Skye

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 05:35:51 AM »

My advice-don't actually get rid of them! If computer related catastrophe strikes, you might lose some, or a portion of the music. If it is a space consideration, maybe get the binders to put the CD and sleeve in, thus reducing the amount of space they take up on a shelf or what have you. I have lost music on Itunes before and I would be devastated to lose the music altogether. If they are not rarities, I doubt you will get much for them. If they are rarities in a particular genre...say folk, you still may not get much for them. Mike is right that Ebay is a good option, but its also a lot of work getting them posted. I say hold on to them and put them in storage.

Totally agree..do not get rid! My man keeps his in the attic, though they are all on his hard drive and backed up to his remote hard drive and phone etc...

Aside from risk of losing it all, look whatís happened with vinyl and cassettes. Revivals! You may find they are worth more in years to come.

...If the good Lord's willing and the creeks don't rise.
MarkV
sit on a perch and prepare a roach
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Quality control has failed to sift me out.

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 06:51:36 AM »

I have all mine in plastic cd sleeves complete with covers etc in boxes bought from Wilko's.  The box sets etc are still intact.  A lot more space generated for other stuf now.

O to 62 in sixtytwo years.  Where does the time go?
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 07:06:53 AM »

Hmmm. My instinct is to hang onto them "just in case".... and I like the idea of getting rid of the jewel boxes. Maybe a trip to Wilko's is in order...

I will try Ziffit too.

I have nothing of any value (a few without bar codes!) but there's lots of rock and folk there. Probably the best place to sell them would be the Cropredy Boot sale!!

Thanks all!   Smiley

Paul B

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 08:43:28 AM »

"Jewel sleeves" -fancy plastic bags which can take the CD, booklet and inlay -are  very good but quite pricey from the US -I've got a few -say 50-spare and can send some if you PM me (just doing my bit for recycling  Smiley)
There are UK sourced alternatives too.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Global Moderator

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 09:18:56 AM »

JUst because you've moved your music collection online, you've paid for this music by buying the CDs.

If you sell the CDs, you are selling the music you bought, not the CDs & jewelcases, which unrecorded, would be worth what you are being offered frankly. So delete the music & sell it on, or be happy with the few pence that the CD/jewelcases are worth unrecorded. Otherwise the artists might not be happy as you are keeping their music for free.

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2018, 10:26:40 AM »

Yes, this. I have all my musc stored on a personal clous NAS drive but I would hate to ive up the security of knowing I had the source material available in the event of a situation such as Robert describes. The discs are all denuded of their cases and stored in plastic sleeves in excellent storage boxes that came from the sadly defunct Maplin that live out of site in the storage spaces under my bed and the spare bed.

Conversely, in a fit of nostalgia and a scream against the predicted imminent demise of the format, I found working versions of my first ever CD player (from 1986) and my first ever cassette deck (Cassette Deck!) from 1980) on Ebay yesterday and am looking forward to partying like it was the 1980s with good old physical media. I still have the original speakers in my loft.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2018, 10:39:20 AM »

Just because you've moved your music collection online, you've paid for this music by buying the CDs.

If you sell the CDs, you are selling the music you bought, not the CDs & jewelcases, which unrecorded, would be worth what you are being offered frankly. So delete the music & sell it on, or be happy with the few pence that the CD/jewelcases are worth unrecorded. Otherwise the artists might not be happy as you are keeping their music for free.

Jeez, I'd never have thought about it like that!

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2018, 10:47:03 AM »

Just because you've moved your music collection online, you've paid for this music by buying the CDs.

Jeez, I'd never have thought about it like that!

Jules

I guess it is like scanning a book and then selling the original isn't it?
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2018, 11:24:39 AM »

There was a move by people in the industry to look into the sales of second hand records years ago, as part of the crackdown on pirating, taking the view that the artist was loosing potential sales if the consumer had the option of buying a 'pre-loved' copy instead of a new one, but it turned out to be unworkable, for various reasons. Second hand record shops would be illegal, for example.
It's very complicated. You could buy a CD for £15 and sell it for a fiver..do you get to keep some of the tracks ?
And it would apply to vinyl too, so would you be able to sell your stereo copy of Please Please Me for a heyooge profit on your original investment of a few shillings back in the day, minus whatever royalties were due to Macca, Ringo, Yoko and Olivia ?
This was before the digital download era, so now it's even worse.

Well I never did..
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: The Mosel Valley

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2018, 12:06:14 PM »

Bridget, at the risk of appearing facetious, with the threat of the Music Police charging you with piracy, get in touch with your local Allotment Society. They will string them over veggie plots so that the reflection and movement in the wind keeps rabbits and pigeons away.  Grin
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2018, 12:19:18 PM »

Bridget, at the risk of appearing facetious, with the threat of the Music Police charging you with piracy, get in touch with your local Allotment Society. They will string them over veggie plots so that the reflection and movement in the wind keeps rabbits and pigeons away. †Grin
I like rabbits and pigeons tho  Undecided

I think I will hang on to them but I'll decide how when I've moved house ie in original case, in Jewel Sleeves or in something like this  https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-Wallet-Capacity-Nylon-Black/dp/B00DIHVM36

Or I might just keep some of them.....

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2018, 12:52:48 PM »

Everything I have, I have ripped and stored. Should I ever get rid of the cds the mp3s are mine, all mine. I paid handsomely for my few and the artistes have been paid. Nobody is ever going to come looking for my mp3 versions of Frank Sidebottom's or Paul Brady's old cds.
     I love breaking the law. I have no Judas Priest records, tapes,8 tracks, see or indeed anything else.

The Dude abides
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2018, 01:18:28 PM »

Bridget, at the risk of appearing facetious, with the threat of the Music Police charging you with piracy, get in touch with your local Allotment Society. They will string them over veggie plots so that the reflection and movement in the wind keeps rabbits and pigeons away. †Grin
I like rabbits and pigeons tho  Undecided

I think I will hang on to them but I'll decide how when I've moved house ie in original case, in Jewel Sleeves or in something like this  https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-Wallet-Capacity-Nylon-Black/dp/B00DIHVM36

Or I might just keep some of them.....

I have some of those. You need to be a bit careful as when the individual leaves are full the case can become tight to the point of bursting. I think mine are more than 128 discs though.
Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2018, 03:22:52 PM »

Thanks for raising this, Bridget. Itís a bit of bone of contention here so interesting to see what others suggest. I got rid of all the cover mount CDs recently via garden wall and then gave what was left (most of them) to the church bazaar. Prompted by the suggestion of jewel sleeves I have ordered a sample pack from here: https://www.slim-disc.com - they are in the UK. Itís quite a pricey exercise if you really go for it.

Quite what you do with all the unwanted cases is another question. Can they be recycled?

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2018, 03:41:17 PM »

Quite what you do with all the unwanted cases is another question. Can they be recycled?

Probably yes. My local municipal tip offers recycling for CDs/DVDs, cases and all. I'm afraid that is where most of my cover mount CDs ens up as I dont have time to listen to them (unless, apparently. they contain ska music for some reason).
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxfordshire

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2018, 08:25:19 PM »

I've managed to reduce the storage space taken by my CDs (1000+} considerably by replacing the jewel cases with soft plastic sleeves, that have a thin paper cloth divider which stores the CD and artwork really neatly. They even work for double CDs but only with minimal artwork, so I tend to use the double sided type where there are booklets involved...Both types are cheap as chips on ebay.

Actual storage units are a combination of a bookcase and a pine chest of drawers (with homemade dividers) that I've had for donkeys years...Both of which take up little space.

The surplus jewel cases were found a good home on Freegle a local recycling website. Amazingly there are people out there who still have a use for them. The lady who collected was a local artist.

It's work in progress and I still have a few to sort out. Storage is A to Z with simple card markers. Admittedly locating CDs takes a bit longer but it's no real hardship. The key is taking care to keep the discs in some semblance of order (specific artists & bands etc).

Boxsets and cardboard sleeves stay exactly as they are. Not perfect but it's great to get rid of the flippin' jewel cases... Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 08:44:07 PM by Glen S » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: