TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
December 10, 2018, 09:53:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tour, New CD & Cropredy

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ticket prices  (Read 2870 times)
Andy Tuck
A creme egg moment
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Leicester

Dolphins are Evil They Eat Kittens...

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2018, 06:25:33 PM »

There is no reason to go to big gigs. I don't go outside Leicester anymore, but still go to 3-4 gigs a week and have seen brilliant bands from all over the world so far this year and rarely paid more than £10. Give your local venues a chance.

Still listening to the telepathic pirate radio show from the flying teapot.....

http://www.fortytenthpromotions.co.uk/
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2018, 09:36:24 PM »

The last really big gig we went to was Kate Bush. £75 for middle stalls. Totally amazing value for money.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2018, 09:59:00 PM »

There is no reason to go to big gigs. I don't go outside Leicester anymore, but still go to 3-4 gigs a week and have seen brilliant bands from all over the world so far this year and rarely paid more than £10. Give your local venues a chance.

I'm with you on this and rarely venture past the small local venues on offer because the experience is so much more rewarding in an intimate setting. Last time out was Tom McConville at a local club and he was fabulous, witty, engaging and and stunning musician. Support was fab as well so two and a half hours of fab music for £10.
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2018, 11:53:50 PM »

Just been looking tonight at the local City Hall listings David Mitchell, Rob Brydon and Lee Mack for the three nights £45 per person all sold out.

Not much touring expenses there ... someone is making money somewhere?
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2018, 11:59:16 PM »

Well not seeing Donald Fagen (struggle to call them Steely Dan now) at an inflated price but I am going to see Ralph McTell at the Southbank Centre in December for a far more sensible £20 a ticket  Smiley

Do you struggle similarly with Simon Nicol and his band?
Walter is dead and if Donald wants to continue playing their music under the Steely Dan name that's just fine and dandy by me.
  Yes the price is steep but I don't pay that sort of money often so it doesn't impact much on my hand to mouth existence.

The Dude abides
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2018, 01:13:51 PM »

I could afford to pay £100 on occasion to see some of the giants, but I don't want to. I've paid over £40 on three occasions, and over £30 two or three times more. I've paid over £20 perhaps 20 or 30 times, but mostly I watch little gigs and I'm happy to do so. I've averaged about 40 gigs a year for the last few years, plus festivals.

I've bought a ticket for Martin Simpson, that's £15, and on past form I expect it to be very good value.

As is said above, prices won't come down unless lots of peeps turn away.

Incidentally, there's a superb Steely Dan tribute act knocking about called Nearly Dan. Well worth seeing, best tribute I've seen, not that I've seen that many. Great value.
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxfordshire

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2018, 02:12:23 PM »

I recently paid over £100 to see Roger Waters because I figured it would be the nearest I would ever get to seeing Pink Floyd...After paying for train fares and B&B it actually worked out at more than double that figure...It was a terrific show and I'm so glad I went, but wouldn't do it again...Finding local gigs much more appealing these days, and getting home before midnight... Roll Eyes
Fegg

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2018, 06:53:54 PM »

I recently paid over £100 to see Roger Waters because I figured it would be the nearest I would ever get to seeing Pink Floyd...After paying for train fares and B&B it actually worked out at more than double that figure...It was a terrific show and I'm so glad I went, but wouldn't do it again...Finding local gigs much more appealing these days, and getting home before midnight... Roll Eyes

World tours with theatricals such as this cost a pretty penny to put on...

* 20180707_214342taw.jpg (163.07 KB, 1200x900 - viewed 381 times.)
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxfordshire

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2018, 07:17:08 PM »

I'm not doubting that at all...It was a superb show and I loved every minute...I doubt Roger Waters was out of pocket though as the place (Birmingham Arena/aircraft hanger) was packed to the rafters with punters sat on plastic fold down seats... Roll Eyes

Great photo by the way... Smiley
Fegg

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2018, 09:12:39 AM »

I'm not doubting that at all...It was a superb show and I loved every minute...I doubt Roger Waters was out of pocket though as the place (Birmingham Arena/aircraft hanger) was packed to the rafters with punters sat on plastic fold down seats... Roll Eyes

Great photo by the way... Smiley

Thank you, it was taken at Birmingham.
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2018, 08:50:22 AM »

couple interesting guardian articles from 2013 and 2017 respectively on why prices are charged at the rate they are.....https://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2013/jun/05/gig-tickets-expensive-blog
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/jan/30/where-does-concert-ticket-money-go

I think I saw you in an ice-cream parlour, drinking milk shakes cold and long
Smiling and waving and looking so fine, don't think
You knew you were in this song
AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2018, 03:22:02 PM »

Massive productions obviously have massive costs and need high ticket prices and large audiences. £100 for Walters' The Wall seems reasonable, but I don't think I would pay it nowadays.

I think a lot of venues / big name artists / promoters are charging as much as the market will bear. While the market is bearing it, who can really blame them? If a gig you would like to go to costs more than you want to pay, do not go. There is still a lot of good, affordable, music around.

I did pay £60 (plus rail and hotel) for Gilmour & Wright (& Mason) (wow!) at the Albert Hall in 2006, and probably more than that for Dylan (yawn) at Wembley Arena in 2000.

Small grassroots and small-medium festivals are where much of my musical spend goes. Some are less than £50 for three days, inclusive of camping.

Some goes on local gigs. The Nantwich Words and Music Festival (really a series of £10 to £22 gigs, median looks like £20) is good value for money, as is the long running Biddulph Up in Arms club (e.g. £16.50 for Daphne's Flight - but I am elsewhere). Down here in Somerset the sold out (at £12?) Damh the Bard at Glastonbury Assembly Rooms and 3DM (at £8.50) somewhere in Bridgwater look pretty good.

My big splurge is for the GBFF, especially as I pay the singles tax and booked early for this and next year to get a Sky Bar pass, and stay in a hotel the night before.

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2018, 03:39:10 PM »

If a gig you would like to go to costs more than you want to pay, do not go

Hence I’m not going to Steely Dan due to the costs (including nearly £40 on the train)

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2018, 07:00:48 PM »

Yes the Steely Dan/Steve Winwood tickets cost a packet but, only six days since they were ordered, they arrived yesterday morning, five months early!

The Dude abides
Bingers (Chris)

Trying to be young!

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2018, 07:04:33 PM »

Yes the Steely Dan/Steve Winwood tickets cost a packet but, only six days since they were ordered, they arrived yesterday morning, five months early!

You’ll have to let me know what I missed by refusing to pay the cost! Thanks  Smiley

PeterJ

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2018, 09:00:11 AM »

I remember The Mighty Dan putting tickets on sale in the 90's for something like £80, at which the young me baulked. As has been said, if you don't go, the prices will come down.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2018, 09:10:06 AM »

I remember The Mighty Dan putting tickets on sale in the 90's for something like £80, at which the young me baulked. As has been said, if you don't go, the prices will come down.

Well, it's not happening is it?
£80 with inflation would be well over a ton now. But maybe today's price reflects the fact Walter will not be able to make the shows apart from in spirit.

The Dude abides
PeterJ

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2018, 02:04:38 PM »

Well, it's not happening is it?
£80 with inflation would be well over a ton now. But maybe today's price reflects the fact Walter will not be able to make the shows apart from in spirit.

I think it did happen actually, next time they came it was much cheaper.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Local Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not Perfect. Never Claimed To Be.

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2018, 02:19:31 PM »

We went to see the Stones at £111 each, this Summer. Mostly because I misread it as £111 for 2 people.

Not doing that again, although they were good.

See What I did Summer 2018  for a selection of my photos.
Bingers (Chris)

Trying to be young!

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2018, 03:58:37 PM »

We went to see the Stones at £111 each, this Summer. Mostly because I misread it as £111 for 2 people.

Not doing that again, although they were good.

That’s what I mean....I could probably stand £100 odd quid if it was just me going but I normally go with my wife or a mate to a gig (shared experiences are better). But when an evening costs over £200 then add travel, refreshments etc it gets too expensive for my wallet no matter how much I love the artist

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: