TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
December 11, 2018, 11:48:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tour, New CD & Cropredy

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ticket prices  (Read 2904 times)
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« on: September 07, 2018, 10:20:27 AM »

Went for 2 tickets for Steely Dan/Steve Winwood at SSE Arena in London but, for 2 tickets including service charge (+VAT) +facilities charge (+VAT) + VAT, it came to £205. Sorry but too much for me to sit in the gods. Do people think pricing is too much these days?

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Global Moderator

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 10:33:01 AM »

Most tickets seemed to be a base price of £95.

I got a very nice front row on the arena side in Manchester for that. Better than the SSE @ Wembley.

Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 12:05:13 PM »

Paid £28 for SofH... that's enough.

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Global Moderator

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 12:09:39 PM »

If you want to see these megabands before they call it a day, I guess one has to pay. Several off my bucket list this year. I'd pay again for James Taylor, not sure about the others.

Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 12:11:44 PM »

You can pay £150 for the best seats at Tim Minchin’s tour next year although, to be fair, he is giving a hundred quid of that to charity.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 10:45:50 PM by Shane (Skirky) » Logged

Just found out the wasp I killed yesterday was a wasp cop who was too old for this s**t and only one week away from retirement. Feel awful.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 01:54:40 PM »

2 tickets for steely dan in mcr £193

The Dude abides
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 01:59:17 PM »

Went for 2 tickets for Steely Dan/Steve Winwood at SSE Arena in London but, for 2 tickets including service charge (+VAT) +facilities charge (+VAT) + VAT, it came to £205. Sorry but too much for me to sit in the gods. Do people think pricing is too much these days?

Undoubtedly yes, one of the biggest culprits being RT of course.

Bingers (Chris)

Trying to be young!

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 05:35:26 PM »

As I saw Steely Dan some years ago at the same venue with obviously both Walter Becker and Donald Fagen in the band, I baulked at the price and decided I couldn’t afford it.   Embarrassed

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 09:30:45 PM »

It will only ever change if enough people say no.  There's plenty willing to pay the prices though, so in this lovely economic reality we live in...supply and demand says keep putting them up.  What next?  Ned's Atomic Dustbin for £50?  You're laughing now, but mark my words, it's coming....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2018, 09:53:16 PM »

That is considerably more than the O2 last year and that date was announced before Walter Becker passed away.

I think there is a perception that the audience for the big heritage acts are made of money, of a certain age and now reaping the benefit of their pensions and investments etc. And to be fair, sufficient numbers are in that position that the tickets will sell. The supply and demand ethos of capitalism holds sway in the music industry as in any other. They will charge what the market will stand. They don't really care that many people can't afford it because enough can.

My upper limit for a concert ticket is about £55 and that has to be for someone on my bucket list. Otherwise small gigs are the way forward for me and even those can charge upwards of £25 sometimes for artists with no commercial clout in tiny venues.  Sad
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2018, 10:16:43 PM »

My upper limit for a concert ticket is about £55 and that has to be for someone on my bucket list.

But it was £50.

And it'll soon be £60.

And so it goes.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 10:32:38 PM »

My upper limit for a concert ticket is about £55 and that has to be for someone on my bucket list.

But it was £50.

And it'll soon be £60.

And so it goes.

Jules

Nah. Its been £55 for about a decade and I can't afford any more. I'll just go see people who are within my budget. It probably means I won't get to see Springsteen again but I'll go and see Gilmore & Roberts or Ian Prowse or Tankus The Henge a lot more.
Paul
I've Got A Bike

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2018, 10:44:26 PM »

You can pay £150 for the best seats at Tim Minchin’s tour next year alrhough, to be fair, he is giving a hundred quid of that to charity.

If you can get them. The wife tried, and they had all gone.

Dubious sites selling them at greatly inflated prices.

Paul

Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2018, 07:31:33 AM »

I don't go to a lot of gigs these days, but I don't like to pay more than £30 really. I can still see FC and RT for less than that and have seen SOH, Billy Bragg, Curved Air and the Albion Christmas Band in the last 12 months.
 I'd pay more for someone really special I suppose, though other than a Led Zeppelin or Genesis (with Peter Gabriel) reunion, I don't know who that would be.
Bingers (Chris)

Trying to be young!

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2018, 08:00:19 AM »

Well not seeing Donald Fagen (struggle to call them Steely Dan now) at an inflated price but I am going to see Ralph McTell at the Southbank Centre in December for a far more sensible £20 a ticket  Smiley

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2018, 11:55:56 AM »

Anyone know any particular reason why? Is it the bands, the venues , the agencies...…..?

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2018, 03:10:39 PM »

I've pretty much stopped going to see the big names. The last rock gig I went to was ZZ Top in Manchester five years ago. There are more than enough folk gigs to keep me going in the local area along with the occasional festival.

The most I've paid this year has been £22 for SoH with Geoff Lakeman supporting and £20 for Eddi Reader. Michael Chapman charged a very reasonable £14 for his gig in Morecambe and Ken Nicol & Becky Mills only charged a tenner for their recent gig in Garstang. I call that a bargain.

Listen to my folk & acoustic music shows on Mixcloud
http://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2018, 05:02:07 PM »

Yes, I think my days of big name gigs are gone too.  Unless they happen to be at a festival I'm attending.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2018, 05:19:32 PM »

The last "big name" gig I went to was "Yes Featuring Jon Anderson, Trevor Rabin, Rick Wakeman" in Cardiff a couple of years back.  A very reasonable £35.00 for a band I really wanted to see.  I was in the city for work so all my travel and hotel costs were already covered.

I've looked at ticket prices for some of my "bucket list" acts as they have come around. but I baulk at paying £95.00 + charges to sit at the top of the O2, looking at specks in the distance and watching it on screens at the side.  

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2018, 05:48:48 PM »

Anyone know any particular reason why? Is it the bands, the venues , the agencies...…..?

I think the main reason is downloads/streaming..legal or otherwise. A huge proportion of steady income that previously came from royalties from back catalogue sales no longer applies. It's often been said that back then, touring was a loss making exercise to promote sales of the album which brought in the income. Now, an album is a device to promote a tour, which is the only way to bring in the revenue. Many bands no longer see the point in even making a new record. This has lead to a lot of old bands reforming and going off playing hits tours. It's also the reason for the box set thing....package it up nice...because you can't download the packaging.....and all the old fans will go out and buy it one more time...they may shift fewer copies, but if those copies are £100 as opposed to a £10 album, you only need to shift one tenth of them, and there's no recording costs because this stuff is already on a shelf in an archive somewhere. A nice lucrative tour..as few venues as possible, as big a venue as possible, pack 'em all in and charge a lot..is good for those artists who's career is in the twilight years.
This situation is not good for new or not as hip young and trendy artists, so the crowd funding model is good for them. Buying the cd's and tickets of the smaller acts is the way to go.

Well I never did..
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: