TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
November 13, 2018, 09:29:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tour, New CD & Cropredy

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Website  (Read 2302 times)
Greg E

« on: August 27, 2018, 10:39:00 AM »

I have been working on, and updating for years, (mentioned on here before) a history of all Steeleye's performances/tours/set lists etc etc. I am finally biting the bullet and putting it out there via a new website. One day it will hopefully be a pretty complete time-line history of Steeleye Span. Formatting and adding pictures etc is all still WIP. If anyone has additional info / corrections then I would love to know any, a lot of the earlier years are very hard to find info for - especially the 80's!! Nothing really exists like this for Steeleye, unlike some other similar bands like Jethro Tull. It os not  a discography type website though, that has been done already. Google will not 'see' it yet so you will have to click on the link or. It's mobile friendly.

http://www.SteeleyeSpanFan.co.uk
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 04:10:42 PM »

That's really good!  I found the first time I saw them - 18 November 1974, Fairfield Hall, Croydon.  I can confirm that the Mummers Play was performed at that concert.

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 09:29:49 PM »

Only managed a quick skim through so far, but already impressed.
Thank you for all your hard work.....
Phil Perry

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 12:43:54 PM »

Well done, i'll have a closer look when I have more time. In the meantime I have three gigs I attended that you do not list : 1984 Towngate Theatre Basildon; 1985 St David's Hall Cardiff and 1986 London Festival Hall (supported by Renaissance). It's possible that I may be able to track down dates, but that will have to await the next time I make the ascent to the loft !

Greg E

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 03:53:36 PM »

cheers, and brilliant, the 1980's are without doubt the hardest to find dates for , and even more so the three years you mention!! If you do find the exact dates it will be hugely helpful in identifying when the tours took place in those years!
Thanks again!

Jamie73
Wine over Jane Birkin

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 05:27:48 PM »

cheers, and brilliant, the 1980's are without doubt the hardest to find dates for , and even more so the three years you mention!! If you do find the exact dates it will be hugely helpful in identifying when the tours took place in those years!
Thanks again!

I do remember them appearing on Harry Secombe's TV show in 1984 performing Take My Heart and Hard Times Of Old England. They had Michael Chapman in the line-up, stepping in for Tim Hart, I guess.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 09:08:02 PM »

I was pleased to see that I saw them on their first tour at Manchester University.
I also saw them when they toured Corunna, but only the last half of it. I already had tickets to see some one else at the free trade hall, ten years after keep coming to mind, but the moment it finished we can the length of Oxford rd to the Students union, and got in for free to see the end of Corunna and the subsequent encores.😀

The Dude abides
Greg E

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 12:07:39 AM »

Thanks again!

I do remember them appearing on Harry Secombe's TV show in 1984 performing Take My Heart and Hard Times Of Old England. They had Michael Chapman in the line-up, stepping in for Tim Hart, I guess.

Intriguing! I will see if I can find out anything.  Especially interesting with regards Michael Chapman playing with them, not seen a reference to that. Perfectly possible of course, 1984 was their first year back without Tim after having 1983 off.
Greg E

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2018, 01:08:30 AM »

Thanks again!

Here you go!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Binc4EXBCE

(Michael Chapman was with Maddy and Rick near the start (not Take my heart), whilst Steeleye appear at about 23.30 'singing' hard times but with no Chapman). Quite Amusing!
And great memory, cheers!!!!

Jamie73
Wine over Jane Birkin

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 08:25:27 AM »

Thanks again!

Here you go!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Binc4EXBCE

(Michael Chapman was with Maddy and Rick near the start (not Take my heart), whilst Steeleye appear at about 23.30 'singing' hard times but with no Chapman). Quite Amusing!
And great memory, cheers!!!!

Cheers for that!
fstix (Michael)

Loc: Adelaide, Australia

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2018, 04:02:24 AM »

The Hard Times video by itself: https://youtu.be/rGZzNKO1Uek

More like I am today than I ever have been before.
JohnV
n3wb

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2018, 07:07:01 PM »

Just discovered the website and have spent a very happy afternoon reading it! Well done, thank you and keep up the good work.

One small correction if I may to the gigs list for you. 11 December 1996 at Plymouth Pavilions was postponed as Francis Rossi had a bad throat. I was one of many who turned up to the venue with my ticket that evening only to be told it was being rescheduled, and it took place at the end of the tour on 22 December instead.  
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2018, 09:37:14 PM »

Brilliant , thanks

I though Steeleye were magnificent at Cropredy last time out. Cromwell's Skull had me in tears.
Hope they get a return booking whilst the brilliant Jessie May ,Julian and Spud are with them.
Greg E

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2018, 09:43:43 AM »

Just discovered the website and have spent a very happy afternoon reading it! Well done, thank you and keep up the good work.

One small correction if I may to the gigs list for you. 11 December 1996 at Plymouth Pavilions was postponed as Francis Rossi had a bad throat. I was one of many who turned up to the venue with my ticket that evening only to be told it was being rescheduled, and it took place at the end of the tour on 22 December instead.  

Thanks for the kind comments!  It has been added to quite a lot since it was first published to being it to life with more images, videos and set lists, a lot of which is thanks to Chris Haines, long time poster on here, who has provided loads of additional information for the 70's  Cool .If you have not checked out his 'BBC sessions' page on there then please do, especially if you can fill in any gaps for him!!

Thanks for the info! I will update that now Smiley

Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!

I'm a llama!

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2018, 06:19:09 PM »

Brilliant work! Interesting that Tim Hart (back in 1982) thought that the audience were getting old.God rest his soul, but I wonder what he’d have thought of the 2018 audience...!
SteveZuppa
n3wb

Loc: Alna,Maine

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2018, 09:20:48 PM »

I'm pretty sure the 18 June 1974 date was at a tiny venue called the Performance Center @ The Garage in Harvard Square, Cambridge,MA. My first Steeleye show and I still have the Mummer's Play program that was handed out. IIRC (and I do), tickets were $6.00.
Greg E

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2018, 09:32:03 AM »

I'm pretty sure the 18 June 1974 date was at a tiny venue called the Performance Center @ The Garage in Harvard Square, Cambridge,MA. My first Steeleye show and I still have the Mummer's Play program that was handed out. IIRC (and I do), tickets were $6.00.

Nice one, cheers! I had noted on that gig that I had put there that I was not sure of the date,  so that's actually very helpful  Cool
Greg E

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2018, 09:34:05 AM »

Brilliant work! Interesting that Tim Hart (back in 1982) thought that the audience were getting old.God rest his soul, but I wonder what he’d have thought of the 2018 audience...!

I also liked the comment about playing 'Poxy little 900 seat theatres' !!!  That is a very good size now for FC and Steeleye!
chrish9132

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2018, 11:55:54 AM »

Hey Greg!
I've got a theory that Tim was one of the first to be disillusioned by the relative lack of success for the band. Martin Carthy: '(Tim) ... was very ambitious'. And the Storm Force Ten Tour programme from Tim: 'the problem with Steeleye now is that we've done it all'.
Greg E

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2018, 12:45:44 PM »

I'm sure you are right. I think once he came back 1980 and realised that the 'heady' days of the 70's was gone for good for the band, and probably the members themselves, he probably knew straight away it wasn't for him.

For the lack of success after 'Hat' there seemed to be so many factors both internally and externally. But ultimately they could never have the success he may have wanted as a FolkRock band in the era of Punk and NewAge. In many ways they were lucky to catch the end of the 'Glam Rock' era with the success of 'Hat'. Any later and they would have remained an electric folk footnote. London/Rocket Cottage had no chance really, the music industry had moved on and the members were starting to as well (SIlly Sisters and Bob'Pete planning their concept album)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: