TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
December 10, 2018, 09:51:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tour, New CD & Cropredy

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lennon's Imagine gets a 6-disk release  (Read 5328 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2018, 08:19:38 PM »

It's a decent album with some stand out songs and I personally love the title track. However, I yawn at these overblown box sets and have never understood why anyone would want so many versions of the same songs. But that's just me.

Well, it's not just you.

But it sure doesn't appear to be me.   Wink

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2018, 08:30:45 PM »

It's a decent album with some stand out songs and I personally love the title track. However, I yawn at these overblown box sets and have never understood why anyone would want so many versions of the same songs. But that's just me.

I agree and I wonder who actually listens to all of them. There are box sets containing B-sides, demo versions, alternative takes, different mixes etc etc. I have to admit of have 1 or 2 box sets from various artists but often fail to manage to listen to all the versions... Undecided

Born to Run (but not very fast)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2018, 09:21:42 PM »

I agree and I wonder who actually listens to all of them. There are box sets containing B-sides, demo versions, alternative takes, different mixes etc etc. I have to admit of have 1 or 2 box sets from various artists but often fail to manage to listen to all the versions... Undecided

It is kind of the point I was making earlier. To me a lot of these sets are interesting documents rather than fulfilling musical experiences. I certainly want to hear them but for the most part only once. I am becoming wary of shelling out large amounts of money for them because I have many but they don't stand up to repeat listening. Last year's Sgt Pepper box is a perfect example, as were the Beatles Anthologies and some of the Bob Dylan Bootleg Series sets. Lots of fascinating stuff but I don't need to hear most of it twice. In the case of Pepper, the mono mix and the stereo remix are the only ones I will go back to.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Local Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not Perfect. Never Claimed To Be.

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2018, 11:30:23 PM »

But that's just me.
No, it isn't. Grin

See What I did Summer 2018  for a selection of my photos.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2018, 12:42:17 AM »

I think it's the archivist in me - I actually do want to hear all this stuff, even if it is only once. Hopefully something will be good enough to play more often, or, even better, actually be the definitive version of something or other.

Alternatively, it might be a sickness.

Jules

Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2018, 08:54:44 AM »

I think it's the archivist in me - I actually do want to hear all this stuff, even if it is only once. Hopefully something will be good enough to play more often, or, even better, actually be the definitive version of something or other.

Jules

I am exactly the same, I just can稚 resist a well put together box set.
I知 not sure if your comment about it being a sickness was said with your tongue firmly in cheek, but for me it is something I have genuinely wondered about as I do seem rather obsessed.
For example, I have a total of 1727 Bob Dylan songs (all official releases), this includes 37 versions of Like a Rolling Stone alone!

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2018, 09:16:02 AM »

Jules

Shocked

I'm soooo infantile  Grin

Wham Bam Thank You Ma'am!
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2018, 09:58:24 AM »

Shocked

I'm soooo infantile Grin

A-hahahahahahaha!!  And I for one am glad that you are.

Jules

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2018, 10:02:45 AM »

I知 not sure if your comment about it being a sickness was said with your tongue firmly in cheek, but for me it is something I have genuinely wondered about as I do seem rather obsessed.

I know a lot of people, and I feel obliged to point out that it's mainly men, who are obsessive music collectors.  Other people are obsessive something else collectors.  It does seem to fulfill some primal desire, but I think it can become a sickness when it gets out of balance with the rest of one's life.

Jules

Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2018, 12:26:10 PM »

I know a lot of people, and I feel obliged to point out that it's mainly men, who are obsessive music collectors. Other people are obsessive something else collectors. It does seem to fulfill some primal desire, but I think it can become a sickness when it gets out of balance with the rest of one's life.

Jules

I think it is a man thing. Women are often obsessive collectors (don't I know it - when Mum moved in with us she brought her many collections too. Twenty five novelty teapots, anyone?  Roll Eyes ) but music box sets including "the original recording of the album played on a biscuit tin by the artist's 2-year old daughter" are generally aimed at men who, for some reason, like that kind of thing. No idea why!

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2018, 12:34:50 PM »

I know a lot of people, and I feel obliged to point out that it's mainly men, who are obsessive music collectors. Other people are obsessive something else collectors. It does seem to fulfill some primal desire, but I think it can become a sickness when it gets out of balance with the rest of one's life.

Jules

I think it is a man thing. Women are often obsessive collectors (don't I know it - when Mum moved in with us she brought her many collections too. Twenty five novelty teapots, anyone? Roll Eyes ) but music box sets including "the original recording of the album played on a biscuit tin by the artist's 2-year old daughter" are generally aimed at men who, for some reason, like that kind of thing. No idea why!

And neither are we but Crippled Inside played by Julian on a biscuit tin? I'm salivating.  Wink
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2018, 12:52:13 PM »

Jules

I think it is a man thing. Women are often obsessive collectors (don't I know it - when Mum moved in with us she brought her many collections too. Twenty five novelty teapots, anyone? Roll Eyes ) but music box sets including "the original recording of the album played on a biscuit tin by the artist's 2-year old daughter" are generally aimed at men who, for some reason, like that kind of thing. No idea why!

And neither are we but Crippled Inside played by Julian on a biscuit tin? I'm salivating. Wink
 Grin

RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2018, 02:56:36 PM »

I can only bother with the rarities type of box sets (such as Free Reed or the BBC sets) or the completest sets (the Johnny Cash Columbia set, Little Feat, etc). The record label compilations can be really interesting too (Stax has a bunch of them, Stiff Records, etc). These soundscape ultimate listening experiences I just can't deal with. Several years back the Deep Purple Mk II came as reissues with the Roger Glover remixes. Machinehead came with a second disc of quadraphonic mixes and the inexplicably unreleased When A Blind Man Cries. The other albums had little bits of remastered stuff. I think that is my limit on these types of things. Take Machinehead for example. The only thing that sounded truly worth it to my ears was the deranged organ intro to Lazy. Everything else was just....eh. Maybe I don't have the right sort of stereo equipment. One wonders if the Imagine set comes with a 'minimum requirements for listening' sticker the way computer games used to  Shocked

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
David (terrrrrrrr)
I'm all out for the cidre...
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Deux Sevres, France

C'est moi... (and my wife)

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2018, 10:41:00 AM »

I've had people, including my eldest son, who have questioned my sanity by me having three different CD copies of The Beatles (White Album) in my collection, as well as the original vinyl. Consisting the then original CD release, then a supposedly enhanced version, and of course, the Remastered. Why do I have them. Because I HAVE to have them.

I could never do what Jules and Poor Will (and many a few thousand others) have done, but I suppose it's all down to degrees. But just because I wouldn't do, I say good luck and well done to them in doing what they HAVE to do...

(better not mention my approaching 40 different books about The Beatles had I)

All we need is music, sweet music,
There'll be music everywhere.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2018, 01:47:22 PM »

I've had people, including my eldest son, who have questioned my sanity by me having three different CD copies of The Beatles (White Album) in my collection, as well as the original vinyl. Consisting the then original CD release, then a supposedly enhanced version, and of course, the Remastered. Why do I have them. Because I HAVE to have them.

You may well find yourself with a fourth copy shortly.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2018, 03:34:09 PM »

I'm so looking forward to seeing what they've done for the anniversary release.

Jules

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2018, 04:06:54 PM »

I'm so looking forward to seeing what they've done for the anniversary release.

Jules

My wallet is going to struggle to justify it this time, especially given how little I listen to the Pepper "extras" and there is so much competition from Bowie, Lennon, a rumoured Dylan Blood On The Tracks based Bootleg Series set, Tom Petty and others I have probably forgotten.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2018, 05:58:34 PM »

a rumoured Dylan Blood On The Tracks based Bootleg Series set

Yes please for this one too.

I have no income.  I really must find a job soon-ish.

Jules

David (terrrrrrrr)
I'm all out for the cidre...
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Deux Sevres, France

C'est moi... (and my wife)

« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2018, 09:09:04 AM »

It'll have to be something pretty special. Pepper wasn't...

All we need is music, sweet music,
There'll be music everywhere.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2018, 07:43:00 PM »

Here comes another one....

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/jimi-hendrix-electric-ladyland-50th-anniversary-super-deluxe-edition/

Jules

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: