TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 25, 2019, 07:55:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tour, New CD & Cropredy

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gerard Love Leaves Teenage Fanclub  (Read 1683 times)
Dan O.
I was the face of 2001
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« on: August 22, 2018, 09:31:59 AM »

For those on this site who like Teenage Fanclub - sad news breaking that bassist Gerard Love has left the band after nearly 30 years !

"Gerard Love will not be with the band for these dates [announced for 2019 in Hong Kong, Australia, etc.], or any other shows beyond those we are playing this year. His last show with the band will be on November 15th at the Electric Ballroom in London. Following discussions within the band going back several months there is a continuing and sadly unresolvable difference of opinion on whether the band should proceed with proposed touring plans, so after that London show Gerry will be separating from the band, and Teenage Fanclub will be continuing without him. The band wish Gerry all the best in his future musical endeavours."

Sad news, but at least they've announced that they'll continue. Apparently, the big issue for Gerard was a fear of or unwillingness to fly for the upcoming Australasian dates.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 10:41:54 AM »

This isn't right at all.  Sort it out, fellas!

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 12:03:16 PM »

This isn't right at all.  Sort it out, fellas!

Jules

Tough to do if he has developed a fear of flying. It is a major fact of touring musicians lives. I wish him and them well.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 12:27:23 PM »

Tough to do if he has developed a fear of flying. It is a major fact of touring musicians lives. I wish him and them well.

They should accommodate him somehow.  Just have a hired hand for overseas dates.  He's vital to the Fannies.

Jules

Dan O.
I was the face of 2001
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 12:46:41 PM »

They should accommodate him somehow.  Just have a hired hand for overseas dates.  He's vital to the Fannies.

Jules

Last time I saw them, there were 6 musicians onstage - 4 band members plus a keyboard player and an extra guitarist/singer to flesh out the harmonies. Putting him on bass and Gerry's vocal parts would surely be a simple solution for touring purposes ? There must be more to the split ; maybe 30 years is enough...
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 01:08:24 PM »

Jules

maybe 30 years is enough...

That's certainly how I feel about my job!  Grin
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 07:29:32 PM »

If you rate your favourite Fannies songs, how many of them are Love ones?  I contend he is by far the weakest songwriter (although his strongest songs are great, and I bet they still play them) so I don't imagine the band will suffer hugely...

My partner and I are running the Chester 10k on 10 March to raise money for our local hospice, and to raise awareness of the hospice movement.  Please click on my website for more info.  Thanks.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 10:05:16 AM »

If you rate your favourite Fannies songs, how many of them are Love ones?  I contend he is by far the weakest songwriter (although his strongest songs are great, and I bet they still play them) so I don't imagine the band will suffer hugely...

Most of my Top Fanny songs are by Gerry this is a disaster for one of the top top bands. Their greatest hits is probably the best Hits album ever. Devastated.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 10:26:42 AM »

If you rate your favourite Fannies songs, how many of them are Love ones?  I contend he is by far the weakest songwriter (although his strongest songs are great, and I bet they still play them)  

Not for me - he often wins my favourite song on an album award, and when he doesn't he still manages one in the top 3.

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 07:15:29 PM »

Most of my Top Fanny songs are by Gerry this is a disaster for one of the top top bands. Their greatest hits is probably the best Hits album ever. Devastated.

Not disagreeing with that at all...they're a top band.  But tbh they're hardly a fully functionning band these days anyway...  It is sad.  But he's the only one I could have seen leaving and them still being the Fannies.  Just my 2p's worth anyway...

My partner and I are running the Chester 10k on 10 March to raise money for our local hospice, and to raise awareness of the hospice movement.  Please click on my website for more info.  Thanks.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 12:03:29 PM »

“From Gerry Love
I thought I should say a few words about the Teenage Fanclub situation.
From the outset I didn’t want to do these particular shows, Hong Kong, Japan, Australia and New Zealand, specifically because of the flying involved. I flew around the world last year and it’s not something that I would want to do too often in my life. I equally didn’t want to stop anyone from making a living and so it’s completely acceptable to me that the band and crew are able to go ahead with the tour. I didn’t leave the group and I wasn’t kicked out, the idea of this tour eventually became a fork in the road and we have just agreed to go our separate ways. It’s not ideal for any of us but it’s as amicable as it can possibly be. We played a couple of shows at the weekend and I think the group’s still sounding pretty good. We have a couple more festival shows next week and then in October and November we have our full album nights where we get the chance to hook up with Brendan and Paul again. All good.
Change is natural and constant and I completely welcome it. All I can say is that I feel very lucky to have met Norman and Raymond all those years ago. Good innings. Thanks.”

Sounds a bit as if we’re more bothered by it than they are?

Just found out the wasp I killed yesterday was a wasp cop who was too old for this s**t and only one week away from retirement. Feel awful.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2018, 05:00:26 PM »

Can you not see the buckets of tears between the lines?

Jules

Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2018, 08:09:57 PM »

Can you not see the buckets of tears between the lines?

Jules

Not really. I can see a fifty year old man who doesn’t want to fly to the other side of the world and live out of a suitcase for a couple of months. I did it for a week and my back’s still killing me.
Straw poll; When was the last time anyone here bought a ticket to see Teenage Fanclub play live?

Just found out the wasp I killed yesterday was a wasp cop who was too old for this s**t and only one week away from retirement. Feel awful.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2018, 08:42:32 PM »

Great statement.  

Last time I bought a ticket to see 'em?  Last year.  Last time I actually saw 'em?  '96, I think....

Onwards.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 06:43:29 PM »

Lineup for the next shows is:

Norman Blake – guitar / vocals, Euros Childs – keyboards / vocals, Francis Macdonald - drums / vocals, Raymond McGinley - guitars / vocals, and Dave McGowan – bass / vocals.

Very excited to hear what the wonderful Mr Childs brings to the table.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: