TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
October 25, 2021, 05:45:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2019 50th Anniv. Tour and Album  (Read 16181 times)
Greg E

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2019, 07:53:01 AM »

Could they legitimately carry on as Steeleye Span if Maddy ever decides to retire?

The band are sounding amazing at the moment but Maddy is 72 and might want to slow down at some point. There is the precedent of the Horkstow/Bedlam years but there were other long-standing members left in the driving seat then.

Be a shame for such an excellent band to have to fold though.

Tricky.
My gut feeling was definitely no, Maddy is very much now the guiding light as to what makes Steeleye tick and other band members have said she would always have the final say on a song etc.
Maddy is that link to the past,  and although the current band is brilliant- really boody brilliant - it is still for Maddy that makes it very much Steeleye. She says herself that this band stands on the shoulders of all the past members .
But, the last couple of tours have made me think there is a chance that they could at least have a go without Maddy in a few years. This is based on the fact that the concerts have been selling really well, most have been sold out, and people are seeing Maddy take a bit more of a back seat at the gigs. She leaves the stage once in each half for a song,  and of course vocal duties are shared out. People seem to give great feedback about all the band so perhaps enough would give them.a try to make it potentially commercially viable.
If that is they were allowed to continue using the name and if Park Records facilitated it.
Anyway, we have I think a few years yet to not worry about it.
There are already dates in for  May tour and it's been said one is planned for October as well.

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Shropshire

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2019, 08:13:23 AM »

I don't wish to keep saying the same thing, but Maddy left for, what was it, five years (97-02?)?  It's debatable how successful it was, although I love the Gay fronted band.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jamie73
Wine over Jane Birkin

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2019, 09:15:51 AM »

I don't wish to keep saying the same thing, but Maddy left for, what was it, five years (97-02?)?  It's debatable how successful it was, although I love the Gay fronted band.

Personally I thought Horkstow Grange one of their weakest albums, and Bedlam Born one of their strongest ever. Gay Woods definitely added something to the mix at a time when it was much needed. Maddy is still superb though - she was on top form the other night.
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2019, 09:25:44 AM »

Could they legitimately carry on as Steeleye Span if Maddy ever decides to retire?

They've carried on without her before, of course.

Made two excellent albums without her too.

However, the band still had Peter Knight and Bob Johnson from the "hits" line-up and, of course, original member Gay Woods.These days, Liam Genocky aside, it's a relatively new group.

Personally, I think it'll be whether they want to do it and whether Maddy gives her blessing. They're making excellent music so it would be a shame to see them fold, I reckon.
wayne stote

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2019, 09:28:45 AM »

The band are sounding amazing at the moment but Maddy is 72 and might want to slow down at some point. There is the precedent of the Horkstow/Bedlam years but there were other long-standing members left in the driving seat then.

Be a shame for such an excellent band to have to fold though.

Tricky.
My gut feeling was definitely no, Maddy is very much now the guiding light as to what makes Steeleye tick and other band members have said she would always have the final say on a song etc.
Maddy is that link to the past,  and although the current band is brilliant- really boody brilliant - it is still for Maddy that makes it very much Steeleye. She says herself that this band stands on the shoulders of all the past members .
But, the last couple of tours have made me think there is a chance that they could at least have a go without Maddy in a few years. This is based on the fact that the concerts have been selling really well, most have been sold out, and people are seeing Maddy take a bit more of a back seat at the gigs. She leaves the stage once in each half for a song,  and of course vocal duties are shared out. People seem to give great feedback about all the band so perhaps enough would give them.a try to make it potentially commercially viable.
If that is they were allowed to continue using the name and if Park Records facilitated it.
Anyway, we have I think a few years yet to not worry about it.
There are already dates in for  May tour and it's been said one is planned for October as well.

That's a fair point. I don't think Maddy is ready for the rocking chair just yet so I've been very previous in posing the question!
wayne stote

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2019, 09:30:51 AM »

Both albums were strong. Bedlam Born is still up there's with the band's best albums, at least in my opinion.
Greg E

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2019, 10:30:43 AM »

As Wayne above said, they still had Peter and Bob so a bit different, plus Gay was an original member,  it wasnt as commercially successful- but very very enjoyable. It feels different now.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2021, 12:23:31 PM »

Looking forward to seeing them tonight in Barnstaple on the (extended) 50th Anniversary tour!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2021, 08:55:12 AM »

Well, there we are then - 52 years on and the current Steeleye line up are still putting the rock into folk rock in a way that Fairport haven't done for decades. The dual electric guitar line up of Julian Littman and Spud was excellent, as are both their singing voices, Jessie May Smart is a fine fiddle player, Liam is one of the best drummers around and new bass player Roger Carey kept everything chugging along very nicely, which leaves us with Maddy. Clearly her voice is not the instrument it once was, though still pretty damn good, and I think Jessie did a great job in providing some "scaffolding" to underpin Maddy's voice, also I would guess MP only sang lead on about a third of the songs but maybe this is typical for Steeleye. The "new" song January Man was very good I thought and classics like Thomas the Rhymer, Little Sir Hugh, King Henry never disappoint ...

BUT

My one criticism of a night of great music was that it all felt a bit one note, to compare with Fairport it needed a Genesis Hall or Crazy Man Michael to balance the driving rockiness of the evening, a bit more light and shade would have helped IMHO.

Still, a good night out and we could all do with one of those at the moment eh?

DW
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2021, 09:00:05 AM »

Just a slight correction - it was Violeta Vicci on the fiddle, not Jessie May, who is on maternity leave.  According to someone on FB, Violeta is leaving the tour after last night because of other obligations, and a third lady fiddler will be finishing it off (not sure who).

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: