TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:24:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maartin Allcock  (Read 28870 times)
NigelT

« on: August 14, 2018, 11:34:02 AM »

I thought the reception for Maartin on Saturday night was lovely, and he was clearly moved. It is so sad to hear the news about his health.  Forgive me Fairporters, but I wasn't really aware of his input into the band until fairly recently, and this was the first time I've heard him play, other than last year at the 50th shindig. The version of Matty Groves was stupendous - can anyone point me at a recorded live version which is like Saturdays? Also any other recommendations for further listening would be most welcome. Ta  Smiley
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 11:37:04 AM »

I thought the reception for Maartin on Saturday night was lovely, and he was clearly moved. It is so sad to hear the news about his health.  Forgive me Fairporters, but I wasn't really aware of his input into the band until fairly recently, and this was the first time I've heard him play, other than last year at the 50th shindig. The version of Matty Groves was stupendous - can anyone point me at a recorded live version which is like Saturdays? Also any other recommendations for further listening would be most welcome. Ta  Smiley

The 25th Anniversary double cd is probably the best for Maart era brilliance:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/25th-Anniversary-Concert-Fairport-Convention/dp/B000NJVWQO

DW
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 12:20:51 PM »

This is a live recording of a New York Bottom Line concert from (I'm guessing) 1993ish. Ends with a storming version of Metal Matty. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/wGGr4_elQ28
spooley (Simon)

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 12:30:26 PM »

The version of Matty Groves was stupendous - can anyone point me at a recorded live version which is like Saturdays?

You can hear the actual performance on Radio Oxford's Cropredy programme on the BBC Iplayer:
  https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06g5bnd
The "Metal Matty" intro starts at 5:37:27
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 12:39:49 PM »

The version of Matty Groves was stupendous - can anyone point me at a recorded live version which is like Saturdays?

You can hear the actual performance on Radio Oxford's Cropredy programme on the BBC Iplayer:
  https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06g5bnd
The "Metal Matty" intro starts at 5:37:27

Alternatively, the full Metal Matty is available on the CD of the 1992 Cropredy Festival and also I think on the live album From Cropredy To Portmeiron but you might want to double check the latter.
DarrenWilliams

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 01:14:53 PM »

Was the Cropredy 1992 'Metal' Matty the first time they played that arrangement? I don't recall them playing that version on the 92 Winter tour.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 01:18:11 PM »

Was the Cropredy 1992 'Metal' Matty the first time they played that arrangement? I don't recall them playing that version on the 92 Winter tour.

You may be right, though I think it did get played on tour, whether before or after I can't recall.
DarrenWilliams

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 01:19:26 PM »

Another good Maart-era song is The Wounded Whale from Five Seasons. There is a version on youtube where Maart himself comments on it and talks about playing the solo on a guitar that once belonged to Jerry Donahue. He says its one of his favourite solos of his career.
StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 01:20:50 PM »

Without access to my cassettes at home, I think they played Metal Matty on a BBC Nightride session in 1989, but if anyone knows the whereabouts of (reel master) Dave Gaule, he would surely know. Lost touch with that great chap some years ago!
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 01:26:50 PM »

I was hoping for the Wounded Whale on Saturday.....

And the suggestion was to put out Maart's last performances (at Cropredy, but likely last live as he says), not to find a several years old performance!

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 01:30:14 PM »

I was hoping for the Wounded Whale on Saturday.....

And the suggestion was to put out Maart's last performances (at Cropredy, but likely last live as he says), not to find a several years old performance!

Was it?

can anyone point me at a recorded live version which is like Saturdays? Also any other recommendations for further listening would be most welcome. Ta  Smiley
NigelT

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 01:39:41 PM »

Excellent - thanks everyone!

As hinted in my original post, I lost touch with Fairport over the years, but I am on a voyage of discovery now. I love finding some 'new old', and this started at last year's Cropredy, when the wallet took a battering...oh dear, here we go again..!!
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2018, 03:39:31 PM »

Saturday nights performances are out there on the interweb, the radio broadcast and recorded on the field

The Dude abides
Jamie73
Wine over Jane Birkin

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2018, 03:59:56 PM »

Without access to my cassettes at home, I think they played Metal Matty on a BBC Nightride session in 1989, but if anyone knows the whereabouts of (reel master) Dave Gaule, he would surely know. Lost touch with that great chap some years ago!

Yes, they did play Metal Matty in 1989 on the radio - it was a late night session I remember that! I remember vividly that the show ended with (Richard Skinner?) closing the show with Iain Matthews' If You Saw Thro' My Eyes which I'd never heard before.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2018, 04:19:53 PM »

The laser disc (remember those?) of Cropredy 1987 (packaged, re-packaged and re-re-packaged many times since) has a very fine Metal Matty.
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2018, 08:38:59 AM »

Well here is a lesson to us all.

Last night Maart posted in this topic, objection to something that had been said. I messaged him asking what he would like done. Keep everything, or just delete all references. He came back to me this morning with a personal message and the issue has been edited out.

Marrt's message finished:

As for me, the matter is over, the man is forgiven, and let's all move on. Life really is too short...

Everybody remember that.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2018, 08:59:28 AM »

Ok - moving on, with peace and love and a group hug. Bad timing meant that the only section of the concert I missed was the whole section featuring Maart, up to the the second verse of Matty. So, I'm asking (and yes I have looked), does anyone know of an online video of this section? (and if so could they link to it please).

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2018, 09:22:40 AM »

I'm assured that the official videos of Crops 2018 will turn up on YouTube shortly. Meanwhile the audio can be heard and downloaded from BBC Radio Oxford.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 09:52:50 AM by Andy » Logged

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2018, 09:26:23 AM »

Thanks Andy

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
Pugwash
Left hand down a bit
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: The East Midland Sea, currently.

The star formerly known as Gareth

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2018, 02:19:33 PM »

Comme le Solei from Maart’s Chilli Morning is my ringtone.

Odd effect playing the album especially as it’s the first track. I knew it was the album, still didn’t stop all my senses telling me I had a call!

Brill album btw.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: