TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:55:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The compere  (Read 6815 times)
iandiddams

« on: August 13, 2018, 04:11:15 PM »

Anthony John Clarke (think that's his name) seemed somewhat down beat this year?  He's normally quite fullsome in his compering stuff but it didn't seem as if he'd done as much this year in between acts.

Hope he is OK.

I did catch his anecdote about being "mistaken" for John Cooper Clarke which made oi larf!
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 04:19:50 PM »

AJC is a proper gent and did a good job as far as I could see.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
spooley (Simon)

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 04:20:41 PM »

I enjoyed Richard Digance's tribute/thanks to Anthony John Clarke, then, when AJ came on-stage to acknowledge that, RD told him "Piss off! This is my slot. Go and practice like I have to if you want to do an hour."

AJ made a reasonable job of compering this year, I thought. Perhaps a bit low-key and subdued at times.
But he made the really important contribution of getting swiftly through the (often interminable) raffle draws on Saturday afternoon.
iandiddams

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 04:31:45 PM »

AJ made a reasonable job of compering this year, I thought. Perhaps a bit low-key and subdued at times.

That's what I meant.  Didn't seem as bubbly as he usually is  - as I said just hope he is OK .  I think he does a great job Smiley

didds
Pugwash
Left hand down a bit
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: The East Midland Sea, currently.

The star formerly known as Gareth

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 06:10:05 PM »

I think this year’s event was very much affected by Maart’s illness.

A great many of the artists were long term friends with Maart and were trying to come to terms with the situation. It was bound to impact on performance.

Sue & Chris

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 12:45:58 AM »

Yeah he definitely seemed a bit off-colour, a bit grumpy. Especially early on the Friday when he got Mera Royle's name wrong twice and kept going on about the weather as if it had been bucketing it down all day, when in reality we had a couple of hours of light to moderate rain.

Maybe the Maart situation cast a pall, and that's quite understandable, but surely his job is to get everyone going, regardless of what's going on backstage? I do like him, but this wasn't his finest hour.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 09:11:03 AM »

So much negativity!

AJC is anbrilliant compère and a fab bloke...  how many of us could do that job!!

He doesn’t deserve all this moaning.

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 09:40:44 AM »

I think Puggs’ comment is very valid.

I don’t think it can be underestimated. How many of us, however professional, can put on a ‘bright shiny ‘ performance when a piece of our heart is breaking?

None of us are automata.

(I was a trainer for part of my work, and I know, however hard I tried, when there was severe family illness, my performance was affected)

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
iandiddams

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 11:16:11 AM »

So much negativity!

AJC is anbrilliant compère and a fab bloke...  how many of us could do that job!!

He doesn’t deserve all this moaning.

I'm not moaning - I'm concerned for the bloke.  He's normally biuncy and fullsome.  This weekend he seemed somewhat flat. Just hope he is OK

didds

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: