TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:38:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: General Cropredy Chatter  (Read 132260 times)
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #160 on: August 14, 2018, 07:27:09 PM »

The friendly aspect has diminished somewhat...I was walking back from the loo but didn’t see a man walking towards me at a 90 degree angle to my direction as he was on my left side. This meant I inadvertently bumped into him as I’m completely blind in my left eye. Despite my apologies I received a swift kick in the shin. Deciding not to start a brawl I just kept on walking. I thought the kick and accompanying expletive was a bit unnecessary...hey ho never mind.

Born to Run (but not very fast)
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #161 on: August 14, 2018, 07:47:48 PM »

The friendly aspect has diminished somewhat...I was walking back from the loo but didn’t see a man walking towards me at a 90 degree angle to my direction as he was on my left side. This meant I inadvertently bumped into him as I’m completely blind in my left eye. Despite my apologies I received a swift kick in the shin. Deciding not to start a brawl I just kept on walking. I thought the kick and accompanying expletive was a bit unnecessary...hey ho never mind.

Sad I observed a few similarly aggressive behaviors last year. I don't get it. I thought music was supposed to be about peace and love (especially folky music).
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #162 on: August 14, 2018, 08:32:57 PM »

Actually on the whole I didn't find the experience very friendly at all this year, and found myself constantly apologising to people for no reason at all, while attempting to navigate my way through chair and tarpaulin city... Undecided

My sixteenth time at Cropredy with a few gap years...The best of times but it feels quite different now...Or maybe I've just got older... Undecided Roll Eyes
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #163 on: August 14, 2018, 08:40:58 PM »

I just think it is all pervading attitude that seems to be the norm these days. As earlier posts have described the flags, tarpaulins, litter etc it just seems to be what people do....excluding the good people on this forum of course  Wink

Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #164 on: August 14, 2018, 08:46:50 PM »

I'm sort of glad I'm not the only one that feels things have got a bit selfish and unfriendly - or maybe inconsiderate is the right word?

I was brought up to consider the comfort and well-being of others before I did anything - something I still stick to, sometimes a little too rigidly(!) - but it seems SOME people just couldn't care less. How someone can stand filming during an entire concert, knowing full well people are sat behind him, is just so far off my radar it's ridiculous.

I still found everyone sat or camped around me this year to be very friendly and everyone seemed to be conservative with space, but if someone had a large tarp in front of them and the only way I could get through was to walk on it, I would bloody walk across it!

I don't think there are any answers, but I'm sure of one thing - I'm not going to change!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #165 on: August 14, 2018, 08:56:29 PM »

I'm sort of glad I'm not the only one that feels things have got a bit selfish and unfriendly - or maybe inconsiderate is the right word?

I was brought up to consider the comfort and well-being of others before I did anything - something I still stick to, sometimes a little too rigidly(!) - but it seems SOME people just couldn't care less. How someone can stand filming during an entire concert, knowing full well people are sat behind him, is just so far off my radar it's ridiculous.

I still found everyone sat or camped around me this year to be very friendly and everyone seemed to be conservative with space, but if someone had a large tarp in front of them and the only way I could get through was to walk on it, I would bloody walk across it!

I don't think there are any answers, but I'm sure of one thing - I'm not going to change!

Good for you! Unfortunately though the selfish g*ts also feel the same way  Undecided but I was dragged up to respect others and they will (should?) respect you and that’s what I try manfully to do at all times

Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #166 on: August 14, 2018, 09:08:49 PM »

I did exactly that at one point during the evening as I could find no other way out...The extra large tarpaulin was not dissimilar to a pond liner including the water...The guys blunt response was "Welcome to my swimming pool"...I'm still not sure if he was being sarcastic... Undecided Grin
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #167 on: August 14, 2018, 09:10:09 PM »

I noticed that lots of the acts this year made comments thanking Fairport for inviting them - a nice change after a few years when many acts didn't seem to have any idea that it was Fairport's festival.  It made it feel like it was more the Fairport family that we used to talk about.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #168 on: August 14, 2018, 09:15:36 PM »

I did exactly that at one point during the evening as I could find no other way out...The extra large tarpaulin was not dissimilar to a pond liner including the water...The guys blunt response was "Welcome to my swimming pool"...I'm still not sure if he was being sarcastic... Undecided Grin

One of the largest tarpaulins is just in front of the walkway halfway up the field on the left side (facing the stage) and appears to belong to family & associates of Chris Leslie. It’s there every day and every year...hmm... Shocked

Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #169 on: August 14, 2018, 10:16:47 PM »

Not so sure that it is any less friendly than it used to be...I remember bottles thrown during Richard Thompson's set in 1990 or 91, and poor old Eugine Wallace getting booed off around the same time....
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #170 on: August 14, 2018, 10:37:35 PM »

Sad I observed a few similarly aggressive behaviors last year. I don't get it. I thought music was supposed to be about peace and love (especially folky music).

Same here, it is such a shame. People openly being defiant and inconsiderate.
frogcrutches
Pond Life
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Pontypridd, South Wales.

« Reply #171 on: August 14, 2018, 11:42:19 PM »

There's been quite a bit of talk about people being rude at Cropredy. It's such a shame.

This year while we were there, I thought I would do my good deed for the day. We were sitting on our blanket near the bar when an elderly little man came walking past. He was walking back and forth and looking lost and confused. I walked up to him and asked him if he would like to come and sit with us. He agreed and came to join us. Trying to make small talk was difficult, but I tried to make the effort. Unfortunately, the water spray gun I was holding accidentally sprayed him with water 28.5 times in the groin area. I profusely apologised and admitted that it was my fault, but to no avail. The little man became very abusive and called me all sorts of rude names. I won't repeat the foul language here. He then stomped off as fast as his little legs would carry him.

So much for trying to be friendly. Angry

Methinks thou art laden with stools.
Pugwash
Left hand down a bit
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: The East Midland Sea, currently.

The star formerly known as Gareth

« Reply #172 on: August 15, 2018, 12:19:45 AM »

What a cad.

frogcrutches
Pond Life
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #173 on: August 15, 2018, 12:25:20 AM »

What a cad.

Mr Pugwash, you wouldn't believe how rude this stumpy, little old man was.
If I see him again, I'll jolly well point him out to you. He was so rude, I was almost in tears. Cry

Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #174 on: August 15, 2018, 09:52:58 AM »

What a cad.

If I see him again, I'll jolly well point him out to you. He was so rude, I was almost in tears. Cry

Tell me who made you cry Frog! I'll sort the blighter out  Angry

(stumpy little man.... thinks..... )

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #175 on: August 15, 2018, 09:55:08 AM »

What a cad.

You sprayed me too Froggie!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
barryanorak (Julian)

Loc: Thurgoland - no, really

The sun is a lightbulb, my fridge is a cow

« Reply #176 on: August 15, 2018, 02:42:24 PM »

For the first time, in 28 attendances, I received personal abuse. I hope it's not a portent of things to come.

Driving out on the sunday, from Field 7b, we were directed down a line of traffic, along the grass, below the access road. Some teenagers took it upon themselves to walk in front of our car, obstruct us, and generally be disruptive. As we finally drew level with them, the young 'lady' of the group told us we were in the wrong line of traffic and should be elsewhere...

Explaining that we had, in fact, been directed towards our route by a marshal resulted in me being called a 'nob'.

Charmed, I was not...

You have to be happy with what you have to be happy with
frogcrutches
Pond Life
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #177 on: August 15, 2018, 07:43:09 PM »

What a cad.

Tell me who made you cry Frog! I'll sort the blighter out  Angry

(stumpy little man.... thinks..... )

I think he said his name was Bogwash - or something like that. Undecided

frogcrutches
Pond Life
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #178 on: August 15, 2018, 07:56:52 PM »

What a cad.

You sprayed me too Froggie!

No need to thank me. It's all part of the service. Smiley

Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #179 on: August 15, 2018, 08:09:03 PM »

Well it did cool my hot knees down a bit when the sun was shining...

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: