TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:51:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Off The Pegg  (Read 46899 times)
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2018, 01:19:23 PM »

I think it was Mr Brock's birthday yesterday actually..77!  Bejesus...and Jet Black is 80 soon.  The world's gone mad...

Is the Pegg book chronological?  If so, how many pages in it, and when does it reach 1980?
That can't be true  Shocked

It doesn't surprise me in the least - Jet was about 60 when they started.   Grin

Jules

36 to be precise when The Stranglers started in 1974  Smiley

Born to Run (but not very fast)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2018, 07:20:30 PM »

I think it was Mr Brock's birthday yesterday actually..77!  Bejesus...and Jet Black is 80 soon.  The world's gone mad...

Is the Pegg book chronological?  If so, how many pages in it, and when does it reach 1980?

It doesn't surprise me in the least - Jet was about 60 when they started.   Grin

Jules

36 is about 60 when you're 15  Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2018, 08:32:49 PM »

Jules

Grin  Grin

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2018, 01:42:58 AM »

Precisely.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2018, 09:27:55 AM »

That sounds like what I had feared.  I'll still read it if I can find a reasonably priced copy somewhere, but I'm in no hurry to do so at that rate.

Hear, hear!

Also, thanks to Tom52 for the review.  Smiley

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2018, 06:54:39 PM »

I've just finished reading "Off The Pegg" and largely agree with Tom's observations.  

There are some interesting stories included and some interesting ones that aren't. There's a degree of repetition and movement up and down the timeline reminiscent of John McLaughlin's zipping up and down the frets which can be confusing. I think a more thorough proofreader would have corrected some glaring grammatical and spelling errors that simply grated at times and detracted from the book. The structure is simply many conversations over several years almost verbatim.

The typeface is really quite small and given the audience, increasing it by a couple of points would have made it much more readable. Admittedly this would increase the pagecount, but editing out repetitions would take care of that.

A curate's egg, it is good in parts and I'd certainly recommend getting ahold of a copy to read, but don't expect any dark secrets to emerge. Peggy's affable but business-like nature shines out from every page.

* OTP.jpg (73.16 KB, 408x500 - viewed 1839 times.)

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
fstix (Michael)

Loc: Adelaide, Australia

« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2018, 01:52:14 PM »

I sent the following review off to the Australian Friends of Fairport a short while ago, and I'll share it here too.  Smiley  It all just kind of wrote itself in one go...

-----

“OFF THE PEGG: bespoke memories of a bass player”  Dave Pegg with Nigel Schofield.  Reviewed by Michael Hunter.

It’s generally considered the done thing to actually finish reading a book before giving it a proper review.  Consider this an improper one then, or perhaps more of a precis.

But there is so much to “Off The Pegg”, Dave Pegg’s long-threatened and finally released autobiography - 272 pages of quite small print - that I expect to take a while to get through it all, and it’s only fair to let everyone know of its existence and worth well before then!

Peggy either has an excellent memory or has kept lots of notes, for his descriptions of long ago events are quite detailed, to the extent that stories concerning the formation and career of earlier bands such as The Way Of Life become much more vivid and real to the reader, rather than just a vague footnote.

John Bonham as a bandmate in that group and a lifetime friend altogether also provides a lot of colourful stories, including around the time Fairport played the infamous LA Troubadour gig in 1970.  The fact Dave was in any condition to play at all is remarkable!

My only concern, though, is that giving away too much of any individual story would take away from the pleasure of reading it in Dave’s own words in the book.  Suffice to say, his friends who badgered him into finally getting it done, with the assistance and persistence of Nigel Schofield, were right in thinking there were too many tales that needed to be told.  

(Peggy was the guitarist in Jimmy Cliff’s band when the latter first arrived in the UK?  Cliff stayed at Dave’s parents’ house and used to descend the stairs on his hands?)

The fact it’s done in an entertaining way is another bonus.  The book is by no means chronological, and sometimes this can be a bit confusing, but it also makes it easier to dip in and out of the thematic chapters at will.  Nigel Schofield adds his own narrative throughout, but uses a different font to make clear who is saying what.

A later chapter deals with Fairport’s Australian connections, with a nice nod to the Aust Friends Of Fairport, and another story of an ill-fated hike in the Blue Mountains with Dave Swarbrick.

As opposed to the dramatic story from many years previously - hey, if the book can jump timeframes, so can I - when it seemed Peggy would be going to prison for an accident he didn’t cause, but being recognised as a member of the Ian Campbell Folk Group got him off.

See, this is what I mean.  So much to read, and trying to relate everything of interest would become a short story in itself.  Regardless, the distinct impression throughout, along with the humour, is that Dave has approached the story-telling with fairness and respect, and an ability to describe situations evocatively enough to make the reader feel they were almost there in so many different times and places.  I get the impression he is amazed to have fit so much into his life, too.

The story goes right up to 2017 and therefore Fairport’s 50th year.  He also mentions his recent hip operation - “My hip’s behind me now. Not literally of course, otherwise I’d be having words with my surgeon!”

The small print is unfortunate but also necessary to keep postage costs to a minimum, while not relegating too much to the book equivalent of the cutting room floor.  It would be handy if it came out as an e-book for the sake of easier distribution and font adjustment but I have heard of no such plans.

Sadly, the chance of Dave or Fairport touring Australia again appears to be remote as well.  But “Off The Pegg” can act as a reminder of the man, his life and his music.  Maybe we now need a bio-pic!  

The book is available directly from http://davepegg.co.uk/

More like I am today than I ever have been before.
Krinoid

« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2019, 12:18:56 PM »

I just read the book. I must say I am disappointed as most of the stories I have already heard. I was again really hoping for more coverage of the FC years from 87-95 which never gets covered especially the leaving of MAART and DM. I have heard many things over the years that have never been confirmed such as some kind of lawsuit launched by one of the members against Green linnet records to stop an album release in 1995.

Also I remember that FC broke up for 2 days in the states in I think NY in the Chris Leslie early years and Simon resigned for one day. No coverage on that. I also remember problems with full band touring in the states that got aborted long before Pegg puts into the timeframe of an acoustic tour, though that may have been the same incident.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2019, 12:35:35 PM »

I can't blame any of the band for not wanting to air dirty washing until such time as the band folds for good, or completely chages personnel....would you?

Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2019, 01:54:19 PM »

I can't blame any of the band for not wanting to air dirty washing until such time as the band folds for good, or completely chages personnel....would you?

“In his own words, it’s all here”
Except it apparently isn’t.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2019, 06:56:21 PM »

It definitely isn't all there. Which I found unsurprising, as Chris says, but disappointing, nevertheless.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2019, 07:08:40 PM »

Much like the editing  Roll Eyes

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2019, 09:18:47 AM »

I'm reading it at the moment.  Very disappointed by the editing - was it rushed, so they could have it out in time for Cropredy?

But the content is interesting in the main.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
arie

« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2019, 11:44:16 AM »

I can't blame any of the band for not wanting to air dirty washing until such time as the band folds for good, or completely changes personnel....would you?

Exactly!
Enough empty bottles to preserve it until then...
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2019, 01:04:32 PM »

I wonder what Swarb would have to say about it?
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2019, 02:17:01 PM »

I wonder what Swarb would have to say about it?

I guess we'll have to wait and see if his book ever comes out!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2019, 04:13:25 PM »

Honest reflections didn’t hold Tony Banks back...on the recent(ish) Genesis retrospective, he was sitting next to Peter Gabriel and the conversation lead to Lamb lies down on Broadway and Gabriel’s departure. “I didn’t think that the concept was any good” said Banks, whilst a stony-faced PG sat impassively....
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2019, 04:24:58 PM »

Honest reflections didn’t hold Tony Banks back...on the recent(ish) Genesis retrospective, he was sitting next to Peter Gabriel and the conversation lead to Lamb lies down on Broadway and Gabriel’s departure. “I didn’t think that the concept was any good” said Banks, whilst a stony-faced PG sat impassively....

Mr Banks didn't come out of that very well. Nor does he in previous interviews in books and articles, suggesting that he may be the reason there were three. I'm not sure I like to know all this falling out stuff.

Well I never did..
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2019, 07:12:43 PM »

Mr Banks didn't come out of that very well. Nor does he in previous interviews in books and articles, suggesting that he may be the reason there were three. I'm not sure I like to know all this falling out stuff.

This is a bloke who thought it was a good idea to call one project Bankstatement.

Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2019, 07:42:41 PM »

This is a bloke who thought it was a good idea to call one project Bankstatement.

And....?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: