TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:33:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Tour 2019  (Read 43469 times)
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2019, 05:06:29 PM »

What Peter and Tony said  Cheesy

Couple of very pleasant surprises in the set list. The chaps looked relaxed and happy.

And ditto for Bernie. A broken hip is no fun at any age  Sad

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2019, 08:18:49 AM »

In the tour programme, it says that the combined aged of the band in 2019 is 353, which is the anniversary of the Great Fire of London. According to Wikipedia, this year Simon will be 69, Gerry 72, Peggy 72, Ric 67 and Chris a mere 63. According to my maths, this makes 343. Have the band made a basic error, or is someone telling fibs on Wikipedia? Surely Simon isn't 79?
  I can't find anything of great interest that happened in 1676 - the was a fire in Southwark that destroyed 625 houses.
stvernon (simon)

Loc: Cheshire

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2019, 11:17:19 AM »

Thought they were really good in Manchester last night, although, Simon fluffed is lines on one song.
 Thought the setlist was a good mix of old and new songs

It was a nice venue, although a bit strange. The RNCM Concert Hall is designed for an orchestra, with no real stage, so Fairport were playing on the floor with the audience (almost) around them, looking down      
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2019, 12:22:36 AM »

So, who’s got tickets for the three gigs where they’re helping out an up and coming singer with his new band?  Fez

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2019, 06:35:02 AM »

So, who’s got tickets for the three gigs where they’re helping out an up and coming singer with his new band?  Fez

I did momentarily get over excited and consider dashing along to Bath, but then, er, didn't.  Happy memories of the Priory gigs 2 decades back, mind.  God, that was fun.  I'm very intrigued by how they sound...look forward to seeing/hearing something.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2019, 08:47:17 AM »

Bath Forum next week...

Flobbadob!
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2019, 08:58:37 AM »

Bath Forum next week...

Sunny Basingstoke for me...
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2019, 09:19:13 AM »

Erm, it would appear that Saving Grace (appearing with FC and The 4 of Us at the Basingstoke, Bath and St Albans gigs) feature a chap named Plant on vocals & harmonica, according to a report & pic on the Fairporters fb page... just ordered my ticket for Bath - which more than makes up for missing my annual trip to Tewkesbury.

OMG just seen this  Shocked Now. How do I get to all of them, front row seats?   Cheesy

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2019, 11:21:39 AM »

Bath Forum next week...

And St Albans for me.

Book when they announced it, Bridgwit - I did & secured a front row seat!

Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2019, 12:25:43 PM »

Bath Forum next week...

And St Albans for me.

Book when they announced it, Bridgwit - I did & secured a front row seat!
Lucky you! Enjoy it Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
PhilipK

Loc: Hampshire, UK

Looking forward to Cropredy 2024...

« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2019, 10:52:54 PM »

OMG just seen this  Shocked Now. How do I get to all of them, front row seats?   Cheesy

Simple. First you build a time machine...

(Feeling smug because we have front row seats for Basingstoke)

--
Philip
Dan O.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2019, 08:38:38 AM »

Basingstoke last night. The 4 Of Us were really good, one of the best Wintour supports in years.

Saving Grace were a real treat - playing with incredible dynamics and emotion. If you're familiar with the type of music Mr Plant made when he was collaborating with Alison Krauss and Patty Griffin, that would give you a rough idea of the sort of material and sound Saving Grace are going for. Could've listened to a whole evening of them, hope they do more gigs asap.

Interval time, and on to our heroes : a varied set including highlights such as My Love Is In America, Bankruptred, The Deserter (Liege & Lief) and Honour & Praise. A band on very good, enthusiastic form - well worth seeing if you're wavering.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 08:50:57 AM by Dan O. » Logged
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2019, 02:52:44 PM »

Basingstoke last night. The 4 Of Us were really good, one of the best Wintour supports in years.

Saving Grace were a real treat - playing with incredible dynamics and emotion. If you're familiar with the type of music Mr Plant made when he was collaborating with Alison Krauss and Patty Griffin, that would give you a rough idea of the sort of material and sound Saving Grace are going for. Could've listened to a whole evening of them, hope they do more gigs asap.

Interval time, and on to our heroes : a varied set including highlights such as My Love Is In America, Bankruptred, The Deserter (Liege & Lief) and Honour & Praise. A band on very good, enthusiastic form - well worth seeing if you're wavering.

Bankruptured! Now that is indeed a tune dusted off I would have loved to have seen. Did Peggy play guitar on that one or was everyone on their 'usual' instruments?

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Dan O.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2019, 02:56:26 PM »

Bankruptured! Now that is indeed a tune dusted off I would have loved to have seen. Did Peggy play guitar on that one or was everyone on their 'usual' instruments?

No changes, everyone on their "usual" instruments for that one - enhanced by some great fiddle and mandolin interplay from Ric & Chris...
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2019, 03:05:25 PM »

No changes, everyone on their "usual" instruments for that one - enhanced by some great fiddle and mandolin interplay from Ric & Chris...

Wonderful, thanks for that Dan. Cracking photo of you and Peggy on the interweb. Peggy's Rising For The Moon Tshirt is indeed fab.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Dan O.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2019, 04:00:26 PM »

Wonderful, thanks for that Dan. Cracking photo of you and Peggy on the interweb. Peggy's Rising For The Moon Tshirt is indeed fab.

Peggy's "Rising For The Moon" T-shirt ? Like this one ? He told me they were £25, nothing to do with FC themselves, and that they also do a good "Full House" one.

* peggy6.jpg (74.24 KB, 720x540 - viewed 990 times.)
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2019, 12:14:50 AM »

Just home from Bath. The 4 of Us were quite good, Savage Grace very good indeed, and I thought Fairport rocked out much more than on recent Wintours. In contrast, Moondust and Solitude, Chris's new song, managed to be touching and personal as well as anthemic. Imo, of course.

Flobbadob!
spooley (Simon)

« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2019, 11:37:17 AM »

I, too, was at the Forum in Bath last night for my first non-Cropredy Fairport show.

I'm afraid The 4 of Us didn't really do anything for me - nice enough chaps but the songs didn't live up to their extended spoken introductions.

Saving Grace were superb though - three fantastic musicians behind Suzy Dian's and Robert Plant's vocals.
From my front-row seat (I booked the tickets immediately after Cropredy) they were all enjoying themselves immensely.
I don't usually go for American country-style / bluegrass-y influenced music but the blues-y influenced and perhaps hints of Eastern/Arabic music really worked well with Robert Plant's distinctive vocal tics, grunts and timings. He also played a lovely maraca fade-out at the end of one track. I'll be first in queue to buy an album by this band, if one ever surfaces.

I quite enjoyed Fairport too - after 26 years of peering at them from the field it was good to see them in a more 'intimate' setting.
Most of the songs were familiar, with Chris Leslie's new Apollo 11-inspired number being new to me: when the taped mission control radio kicked-in, I wondered if he'd been listening to Public Service Broadcasting, who's "Race for Space" has a similar vibe.
Nice to see a stage impressively free of gimmicks - or even equipment of almost any sort! The chaps' talent and musicianship is obviously pretty deeply ingrained after their years together.

All in all, an excellent evening and I was particularly fortunate to have got front-row seats for the show.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2019, 04:49:52 PM »

Savage Grace very good indeed,

Saving Grace were superb though

were you at the same gig? :-)

PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2019, 05:02:06 PM »

Bloomin predictive text, I meant Fairground Attraction were great...

Flobbadob!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: