TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:25:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maart  (Read 86202 times)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #100 on: September 19, 2018, 12:05:02 PM »

Where has the news come from, please?  I can't see it anywhere else online?

Alan reported first.  Not sure where he saw it.

Then I checked on Twitter, saw a tweet reporting that he'd passed, asked the poster of the tweet if he could confirm, and he said he'd received a phonecall from Maart's wife today.  Now it may just be possible that someone has their wires crossed, but I'm not too hopeful.

Jules

I saw it on the Steve Hoffman forum.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/martin-maartin-allcock-fairport-convention-jethro-tull-r-i-p.759423/#post-19543952

Edit:  It has been confirmed by several people, including his family, so sadly, it is true - Andy
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 02:46:39 PM by Andy » Logged
Squiggle
Purr

Loc: Northwest Wales

« Reply #101 on: September 19, 2018, 03:58:51 PM »

Are the times on that forum USA or UK times?
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #102 on: September 19, 2018, 04:04:58 PM »

US I believe.
Sue & Chris

« Reply #103 on: September 19, 2018, 07:14:25 PM »

Very sad news.

Maart was a part of the Fairport line up when I first heard the band. So he was a 'Fairport original' for me. I also have fond memories of his time in Jethro Tull (when he played a keyboard mounted with a line of beer engines, as I recall!) Glad he got his farewell at Cropredy.

Ta ta, Maart.
Jamie73
Wine over Jane Birkin

« Reply #104 on: September 20, 2018, 09:19:13 AM »

Very sad news.

Maart was a part of the Fairport line up when I first heard the band. So he was a 'Fairport original' for me. I also have fond memories of his time in Jethro Tull (when he played a keyboard mounted with a line of beer engines, as I recall!) Glad he got his farewell at Cropredy.

Ta ta, Maart.

Maart was part of the first Fairport I saw live. I saw that line-up many times at both St. Albans and Northampton. Great gigs and really loud.
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #105 on: September 20, 2018, 10:12:26 AM »

Its hosted in Pennsylvania and they are five hours behind us if that is of any help.....

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #106 on: September 20, 2018, 11:48:38 AM »

Its hosted in Pennsylvania and they are five hours behind us if that is of any help.....

Thanks Tasha.  I've wondered about this before.  Cool
garrypbrooks

« Reply #107 on: September 21, 2018, 09:30:49 AM »

Very sad. Saw Maart in several bands including Waz, Taz, Blue Tapestry and with Huw Williams. It was always a pleasure to see him.
fstix (Michael)

Loc: Adelaide, Australia

« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2018, 01:21:26 PM »

Some really touching and heartfelt tributes to Maart from the band are now up on Fairport's website.

More like I am today than I ever have been before.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #109 on: September 21, 2018, 07:55:05 PM »

Some really touching and heartfelt tributes to Maart from the band are now up on Fairport's website.

I can't get into the website at the moment...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #110 on: September 21, 2018, 10:51:29 PM »

I had that problem earlier. I went back out, googled "Fairport Convention", went back in, it was fine.  Weird.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #111 on: September 22, 2018, 06:50:54 AM »

I had that problem earlier. I went back out, googled "Fairport Convention", went back in, it was fine.  Weird.

Jules

Doesn't work for me on any browser....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Yorkshire Chris
Did you have a Sloppy Guiseppe?

Loc: Yorkshire (who'd have guessed...!)

« Reply #112 on: September 22, 2018, 07:04:21 PM »

This link seems to get you in:

http://www.fairportconvention.com/
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #113 on: September 22, 2018, 07:57:02 PM »

This link seems to get you in:

http://www.fairportconvention.com/

It does.  How odd.  

Anyway, all lovely comments.  Very moving.

[Peggy's chronology seems to be a tad out in his piece though.  Maart joins the band, then Peggy "later joined Jethro Tull"....]

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #114 on: September 22, 2018, 08:31:35 PM »

[Peggy's chronology seems to be a tad out in his piece though.  Maart joins the band, then Peggy "later joined Jethro Tull"....]

That explains the layout of his book then.   Wink

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #115 on: October 10, 2018, 08:37:38 AM »

Nice obituary in The Daily Telegraph today, albeit a bit late.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #116 on: October 10, 2018, 08:41:53 AM »

It's here, mostly behind a paywall unfortunately

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2018/10/10/maartin-allcock-guitarist-fairport-convention-jethro-tull/

Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #117 on: October 10, 2018, 09:11:46 AM »

The first time I have seen mention of him working with Judith Durham. What an honour! I guess on her latest album, the first for six years?
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #118 on: October 10, 2018, 11:00:43 AM »

The first time I have seen mention of him working with Judith Durham. What an honour! I guess on her latest album, the first for six years?

Sorry, it was the album Mona Lisas in 1996.
fstix (Michael)

Loc: Adelaide, Australia

« Reply #119 on: October 10, 2018, 12:12:41 PM »

To save anyone else using a disposable email address to access the article  Smiley ...

----------

Telegraph Obituaries

10 OCTOBER 2018 • 6:06AM

Maartin Allcock, who has died of liver cancer aged 61, was a musician and record producer who spent 11 years as a guitarist with the folk giants Fairport Convention, doubling up for some of that time as guitarist and keyboard player with prog-rockers Jethro Tull.

He was also a fine bass guitarist and violinist, his other instruments including the pipes, mandolin and mandocello, or bass/baritone mandolin, and he was a session musician on more than 200 albums. In later years he championed Welsh-language rock and folk music.

He was born Martin Allcock at Middleton, near Manchester on January 5 1957. He studied music in Huddersfield and Leeds, and when he was 19 began playing in folk clubs and dance bands. The following year he toured with the comedian and musician Mike Harding in Harding’s band, the Brown Ale Cowboys.

He lived for a short time in Brittany then trained as a chef in the Shetland Isles. In 1981 he returned to music, joining the Bully Wee Band, a Celtic folk group.

He teamed up with Fairport Convention in 1985, making his first recorded contribution on the 1986 album Expletive Delighted! Dave Pegg, a stalwart of band, recalled: “[Violinist] Ric [Sanders] and Maart were both writing stuff, composing these great instrumental pieces … So we put out an all-instrumental album.”

The band’s new line-up would be one of the most stable in the band’s history, sticking together for 11 years, and Allcock played a leading role on such albums as Red & Gold (1988), The Five Seasons (1990) and Jewel in the Crown (1995), as well as touring with the band in the US, Europe, Australia, Hong Kong and Turkey.

He changed the spelling of his first name in the mid-1980s, he recalled, after talking to a fellow musician in Dublin, who, when Allcock told him his first name, recognised his accent as north Manchester, telling him he had to spell it with a double “a” from then on.

He stayed with Fairport until 1996, doing much to revitalise a band that had been together, with shifting personnel, for nearly three decades. Between 1988 and 1991 he was also a member of Jethro Tull.

He played on the band’s 1989 album Rock Island, which continued in the hard rock vein the band had recently begun tapping and went gold in Britain. He also toured with the band in Europe and the Americas.

Another project was Waz!, a band he founded with melodeon and concertina player Dave Whetstone and another multi-instrumentalist, Pete Zorn – they took the band’s names from their initials. They released two albums, the second, Fully Chromatic (1999), when Steve Tilston had replaced Whetstone.

In 2000 Allcock moved to Snowdonia. He studied Welsh at Harlech College and began working with the Welsh-language record label, Sain, as a session man and producer.

In the early 2000s he played bass for the Nashville singer and songwriter, Beth Nielsen Chapman. He recorded several solo albums, and worked with other musicians including Yusuf Islam, when the former Cat Stevens made his musical return in the 2000s; the experimental Tuvan throat singer, Sainkho Namtchylak; Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin; Adrian Edmondson’s band, the Bad Shepherds; Ralph McTell; and the former Seeker, Judith Durham.

In August 2017 he joined up with Fairport at the Cropredy Convention Festival – founded by the band in 1979 – to mark their 50th anniversary, and this year, a few weeks before his death, he made his final public appearance at the Festival.

Although he was ill, he played with the band on a rocking version of one of their best-loved songs, Matty Groves. At the end, he told Fairport’s fans: “You’re the best friends I’ve ever known.”

Maartin Allcock is survived by his wife, Jan, and by two daughters and a son from his first marriage.

Maartin Allcock, born January 5 1957, died September 16 2018

More like I am today than I ever have been before.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: