TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 19, 2024, 10:34:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spring Tour 2018  (Read 11395 times)
Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« on: May 11, 2018, 11:23:16 PM »

Just back from the opening night of this year’s Spring Tour at the Union Chapel and am pleased to report that the chaps were on good form. Apparently there hadn’t been a huge amount of rehearsing but it didn’t show. As usual it was a sit down do, with Gerry on a small percussion and drum machine set up. The Union Chapel was only open downstairs so not a huge crowd - which actually made for a nice relaxed atmosphere and a lot less queuing and squeezing past people.  

Some nice additions to the set reflected the more relaxed feel to the evening.

The set list was:

A good start to the weekend.  Smiley

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 11:49:47 PM »

How was Peggy's new hip?

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 11:10:17 AM »

How was Peggy's new hip?

He seemed to be moving OK. No mention was made of it during the evening. He was sitting down behind the merch desk and we had a brief chat whilst he signed my copy of the new cd. It did cross my mind to enquire but the conversation was more on Cropredy and how much we were both looking forward to this year.

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
Bernie

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 05:14:37 PM »

Another excellent show last night in Wigan at the Old Court House. A few songs I had not heard in a long time and Simon, Chris and Peggy perfect on the vocals. A lovely evening meeting the gang, Nigel and June and Jill and Tony Pim and others. Much chat about Cropredy and plans already made. New Brighton is our next gig and the last date on the tour, so looking forward to another fab evening there.
barryanorak (Julian)

Loc: Thurgoland - no, really

The sun is a lightbulb, my fridge is a cow

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 07:54:39 AM »

So...after 30+ years of following the band, last night they played in my (metaphorical) back yard! To see the chaps at Penistone Paramount was a tad surreal, but they played a blinder, aided by some of the best sound I have ever heard at a gig (Nice one Simon Y).

All seemed very relaxed, nice set list with a few surprises, but Ric's jokes don't get any better, do they?

You have to be happy with what you have to be happy with
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 01:24:24 PM »

Fairport Spring Tour, Penistone, 16/5/18
Yesterday began well with the postman delivering the new Fairport cd.. What We Did On Our Saturday.  We quickly got it up and playing, loving it, took me right back to that night last summer. But the day improved dramatically when I discovered there were still tix left for Fairport in Penistone, about an hour and a quarter north of us.  My local venue, Lowdham, had sold out weeks ago and I thought I would miss the spring tour this year.  After being poorly for 2 weeks it was a real pleasure to be out again, especially as the weekend before I had been forced to miss a great SofH gig in York.  We sat right at the very back for a speedy exit if I started to cough again (I didn’t!) We arrived with 10 minutes to spare and immediately felt at home once the band came on stage… The night started well and rapidly improved, many old songs were reintroduced to the set, including a fabulous Farewell, Farewell, a difficult to play Bankruptured and The Banks of the Sweet Primroses.  More often played songs such as Genesis Hall and John Gaudie were played and every one sounded just so clear and perfect thanks to the lovey Simon Yorath on sound. Chris’ new song Step by Step reminded me of one of my favourite places (Guernsey, where I had recently returned from). One of my faves of the night was the beautiful Ric tune The Rosehip, haven’t heard that live for a long time. There was a huge Cropredy banner by the stage and it seemed that most of the audience were Cropredy people. Lots of people went to speak to the band and to get their new cds signed, everyone was so friendly and welcoming… what a family we have in Fairport.  Peggy is recovering well from his very recent hip replacement, which is very good news. If you can get to any venue on this tour then don’t miss it, they are really on form!  Thanks chaps… see you in a field!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 01:53:10 PM »

Yesterday began well with the postman delivering the new Fairport cd.. What We Did On Our Saturday.  We quickly got it up and playing, loving it, took me right back to that night last summer. But the day improved dramatically when I discovered there were still tix left for Fairport in Penistone, about an hour and a quarter north of us.  My local venue, Lowdham, had sold out weeks ago and I thought I would miss the spring tour this year.  After being poorly for 2 weeks it was a real pleasure to be out again, especially as the weekend before I had been forced to miss a great SofH gig in York.  We sat right at the very back for a speedy exit if I started to cough again (I didn’t!) We arrived with 10 minutes to spare and immediately felt at home once the band came on stage… The night started well and rapidly improved, many old songs were reintroduced to the set, including a fabulous Farewell, Farewell, a difficult to play Bankruptured and The Banks of the Sweet Primroses.  More often played songs such as Genesis Hall and John Gaudie were played and every one sounded just so clear and perfect thanks to the lovey Simon Yorath on sound. Chris’ new song Step by Step reminded me of one of my favourite places (Guernsey, where I had recently returned from). One of my faves of the night was the beautiful Ric tune The Rosehip, haven’t heard that live for a long time. There was a huge Cropredy banner by the stage and it seemed that most of the audience were Cropredy people. Lots of people went to speak to the band and to get their new cds signed, everyone was so friendly and welcoming… what a family we have in Fairport.  Peggy is recovering well from his very recent hip replacement, which is very good news. If you can get to any venue on this tour then don’t miss it, they are really on form!  Thanks chaps… see you in a field!

Lovely review. Step By Step is indeed a lovely song. I've played it a lot recently because it is very calming and helpful to my state of mind lately. That first verse is simple but well phrased. And happy to hear of the return to the set of The Rosehip. The first true studio album I got by Fairport when I had started getting into them was Red And Gold (if one excludes In Real Time). That song has always been among my most favorite of Ric's tunes.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 02:02:36 PM »

Looking forward to Monday at Nettlebed even more now!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 04:13:49 PM »

So...after 30+ years of following the band, last night they played in my (metaphorical) back yard! To see the chaps at Penistone Paramount was a tad surreal, but they played a blinder, aided by some of the best sound I have ever heard at a gig (Nice one Simon Y).

All seemed very relaxed, nice set list with a few surprises, but Ric's jokes don't get any better, do they?

I think FC's live sound is among the best I've heard anywhere. The crew really knows what they're doing.
Tony Pim

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 04:33:45 PM »

Another excellent show last night in Wigan at the Old Court House. A few songs I had not heard in a long time and Simon, Chris and Peggy perfect on the vocals. A lovely evening meeting the gang, Nigel and June and Jill and Tony Pim and others. Much chat about Cropredy and plans already made. New Brighton is our next gig and the last date on the tour, so looking forward to another fab evening there.

Good to see you and Georgina too.  Had to scarper before the end to catch last train, Peggy said they had no idea why they weren't allowed to start until 8:30 pm,  I do like the venue though.

and the stars look very different today
Tony Pim

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 04:35:05 PM »

They don't get any different either, still it's Ric - possibly the loveliest man on the planet and you have to laugh.

and the stars look very different today
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 09:54:33 AM »

Nothing much more to add to the reviews above after last night's gig at Nettlebed.  Brilliant sound, excellent musicianship, groanworthy jokes - another excellent Fairport gig.  Nice to see Chris playing more fiddle these days - I think he did on about 6 or 7 songs.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
roddie
n3wb

Loc: lierpool

a muffin man

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 09:03:33 AM »

I was lucky to attend the final night of the tour in New Brighton, great show and the boys were on top form.  The cheeky Beatles quote during Wood and Wire brought a chuckle.  It was lovely to catch up with the lads x

girl, you thought he was a man, but he was a muffin
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 09:52:16 AM »

I was lucky to attend the final night of the tour in New Brighton, great show and the boys were on top form.  The cheeky Beatles quote during Wood and Wire brought a chuckle.  It was lovely to catch up with the lads x

I thought you had the monopoly of squeezing the cheeky Beatles quotes and even the odd FC quote into your set?

The Dude abides
roddie
n3wb

Loc: lierpool

a muffin man

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2018, 07:10:20 PM »

I thought you had the monopoly of squeezing the cheeky Beatles quotes and even the odd FC quote into your set?

lol, of course we too like to indulge in such frolics!

girl, you thought he was a man, but he was a muffin
Crazymanmike
n3wb

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2018, 11:12:50 PM »

Saw them in Bridgwater last week - one of their best ever gigs for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: