TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 23, 2019, 03:50:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tour, New CD & Cropredy

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Neil Finn joins Fleetwood Mac  (Read 5229 times)
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« on: April 09, 2018, 11:16:18 PM »

Apparently Lindsey Buckingham has been fired.

http://variety.com/2018/music/news/fleetwood-mac-to-tour-with-neil-finn-mike-campbell-as-lindsey-buckinghams-replacements-1202748185/
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 08:14:15 AM by Barry » Logged

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 07:30:49 AM »

It takes two?

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 08:01:32 AM »

So it seems.
Last time he parted ways with FM he was replaced with Billy Burnette and Rick Vito.
I didn't think he was that good a guitarist that the rest needed four hands to play his parts.

Well I never did..
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 08:48:09 AM »

Maybe they hired Neil Finn more for his songwriting than his guitar playing? That's if it is a long term thing rather than just to fulfil tour commitments.
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 11:51:57 AM »

I suspect that it's more for his singing, but I'd like to hear Fleetwood Mac's take on some of his songs.

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 02:14:49 PM »

Why doesn't everyone grow up and just sort out the **** with Lindsey?  There's no point in a Fleetwood Mac without him at this stage in everyone's life.

Getting in a pair of famous hired hands to replace him is little more than Frankensteinian.  It won't work out and there's no future in it.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 02:31:46 PM »

Why doesn't everyone grow up and just sort out the **** with Lindsey?  There's no point in a Fleetwood Mac without him at this stage in everyone's life.

Getting in a pair of famous hired hands to replace him is little more than Frankensteinian.  It won't work out and there's no future in it.

Jules

This

Much as i love Neil Finn and all his works

The Dude abides
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 02:57:46 PM »

Jules

This

Yep - maybe they just need to get the tour out of the way contractually and then put the band to bed.
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 04:05:15 PM »

I suspect that the root is the enmity between him and Stevie Nicks.  Apparently he wanted to tour on the back of a new album and she flatly refused to record one.  This led to the Buckingham/McVie album last year.  However, it seems that the situation has persisted.

FM wants to tour and Buckingham doesn't without a new FM album.  Parting of the ways.

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 05:39:35 PM »

I might be wrong, but I suspect this is a Stevie or Lindsey choice?  They can't work together so which do we jettison?  Stevie has, I think, by far the most successful career outside of the band, especially in the US, so....

My partner and I are running the Chester 10k on 10 March to raise money for our local hospice, and to raise awareness of the hospice movement.  Please click on my website for more info.  Thanks.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Austin

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 05:41:33 PM »

Sad

My first opportunity to see Fleetwood Mac live was back in the mid-1980s.  Lindsey was already gone but Rick Vito and Billy Burnette were there in his place.  I didn't get to see the Rumours lineup until 2014, and again in 2015.  I really wanted to see them at least once more.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Austin

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 05:43:13 PM »

I might be wrong, but I suspect this is a Stevie or Lindsey choice?  They can't work together so which do we jettison?  Stevie has, I think, by far the most successful career outside of the band, especially in the US, so....

Agree. I think history has demonstrated that FM is not a viable project without Stevie, whereas they have done a lot of lucrative touring without Lindsey.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 06:02:15 PM »

Jules

This

Yep - maybe they just need to get the tour out of the way contractually and then put the band to bed.

That sounds about right.

The Dude abides
PaulT
Memory jogger
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2018, 07:53:04 AM »

The only Mac lineup I'd have liked to have seen was the Green/Kirwan/Spencer/McVie/Fleetwood one. Anything after that, although extremely well written and produced, leaves me cold. Except The Chain, being a bass player... Wink

Said the straight man, to the late man...
mickf
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Barry, South Wales

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2018, 08:54:54 PM »

I loved Fleetwood Mac in all their formations (even with Bekka Bramlett and Dave Mason) but the only question I feel moved to ask is "Does anyone care any more?"

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2018, 09:33:57 PM »

I loved Fleetwood Mac in all their formations (even with Bekka Bramlett and Dave Mason) but the only question I feel moved to ask is "Does anyone care any more?"

Maybe the sponsors, venues and folks who have bought tickets?
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

Omnia ti bi felicia

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2018, 07:24:00 AM »

Although generally indifferent to Fleetwood Mac, after their Blue Horizon days, adding Neil Finn & now Mike Campbell his piqued my interest.  Smiley

"Statement from Mike Campbell on joining Fleetwood Mac:

"Though I was sad to hear Lindsey Buckingham is no longer with Fleetwood Mac, I am honored and excited to join the band. Lindsey is one of my favorite musical artists. A true genius at songwriting and guitar playing. I intend to honor his songs while at the same time bring my musicality to the band. After one rehearsal I can tell it’s going to be an amazing collaboration. I am also very happy to have an opportunity to play with Neil Finn, who I greatly admire. Fleetwood Mac not only has one of the greatest rhythm sections in rock history, it also has two of the finest voices and songwriters in Stevie Nicks and Christine McVie. I am looking forward to the tour with great anticipation." "

From Tom Petty FB page.

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2018, 12:10:57 PM »

“Getting a replacement guitarist in? That’ll never work, who do they think they are - Fleetwood Ma....oh, hang on...”

Just found out the wasp I killed yesterday was a wasp cop who was too old for this s**t and only one week away from retirement. Feel awful.
Dan O.
I was the face of 2001
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2018, 12:54:13 PM »

Bumping this thread to present the debut live appearance of new Fleetwood Mac on Ellen De Generes' show :

The Chain : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VElI89y_-QI

Gypsy : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD2EUMr_Fww
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not Perfect. Never Claimed To Be.

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2018, 03:08:15 PM »

Pretty good!

See What I did Summer 2018  for a selection of my photos.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: