TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 20, 2024, 08:01:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wintour 2018  (Read 38062 times)
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2018, 09:39:45 AM »

We're going to Southport tonight, so would appreciate any info as to what to expect (except the punchlines to Ric's jokes!)

I find this rather strange.
I never like to know the set list prior to attending a gig.
It’s like asking someone to tell you the plot of a book before reading it!

I agree Bill.
I am working on a screen play. Titanic 2 , The Voyage Home.......

Is  there any news of the iceberg?Huh

It won't be appearing in the sequel after making a fuss about its fee for the original film.  It claimed that the human stars were paid way more, and that it is a blatant example of Hollywood non-anthropoidism Smiley

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2018, 10:14:52 AM »

I know the lack of anything new happening is a bit tedious, but this is getting a little off topic.  Grin

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Andy Cooke
n3wb

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2018, 07:40:50 AM »

First gig of 2018! Lovely to see the boys back in Nottingham after a very long break. Just felt weird catching the bus home! Winter Wilson were an excellent opening act, a great start to yet another wonderful Fairport evening.
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2018, 09:44:23 AM »

Good gig in Morecambe last night. I’ve missed a few Winter Tours, so it was good to be there again. The chaps seemed relaxed and happy.

I had planned to get there early for a good seat, but chaos reigned on the trains, so I wasn’t in the best of positions. Still, the Platform isn’t the O2 Arena, so even at the back you’re OK. We were a little blighted by various irritating audience members, though not enough to ruin things. I won’t list what they were all doing, in case any are on here! I will say this, though: if you think it’s a good idea to embellish the melodies a band is playing with your own exceptionally tuneless and loud whistling, you are wrong.
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2018, 10:25:48 AM »

Surprised that Peggy didn't tell them to shut up. Shame that the malaise of pockets of anti-social behaviour has spread from Cropredy to the tours.
Peter H-K

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2018, 10:44:25 AM »

Surprised that Peggy didn't tell them to shut up. Shame that the malaise of pockets of anti-social behaviour has spread from Cropredy to the tours.

Yeah, they would only really have been audible to the people immediately around them. What I think they also ought to have avoided is this:Fairport are funny guys, and I enjoy the onstage banter, but the people by us would insist on contributing their own unfunny and banal comments amidst the banter (again, only at a level that it could be ‘enjoyed’ by their immediate neighbours). Add this to a separate chap a few seats away who, mystifyingly, spent the entire show (and I do mean that literally) reading stuff on his phone.

Anyway, those minor irritations aside, it was a good night. Splendid to hear some more unusual numbers, one of which I had never heard live before.

The new song was quite good, though it’s the second time the band has incorporated elements of Summertime Blues into a song if memory serves ....
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2018, 11:36:43 AM »

Anti social behaviour at Cropredy???

Terrible the way the crowd shout Jack halfway through Festival Bell, and that waving of arms from side to side in Meet on the Ledge.
Someone could get hurt.

Seriously though , 20,000 people in a field , some drinking almost non stop from 11 am to midnight. I'm always amazed how trouble free it is.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2018, 11:39:52 AM »

Some start drinking as late as 11am?

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New Romney, Kent

I can't read the lines, let alone in-between!

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2018, 02:21:31 PM »

I enjoyed the show at Milton Keynes the other night, but I will admit that I found the setlist a little bit too cosy. With the exception of the brand new song, which I really enjoyed, there was nothing in the set that they haven’t played in recent years. In terms of musicianship they were as tight as ever, you certainly can’t take that away from them, I just wish we could have had some slightly more adventurous choices from the repertoire.

Imponderable Joy
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2018, 10:51:26 AM »

Hawkeswood Army?

Dave.P
stay away from hammers
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Isle of Wight

Dave from USA (Uther Side of Andover)

« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2018, 11:57:26 AM »

Some start drinking as late as 11am?

Sop at midnight ?? who is this ?? name the man  Fez
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2018, 03:18:43 PM »

I enjoyed the show at Milton Keynes the other night, but I will admit that I found the setlist a little bit too cosy. With the exception of the brand new song, which I really enjoyed, there was nothing in the set that they haven’t played in recent years. In terms of musicianship they were as tight as ever, you certainly can’t take that away from them, I just wish we could have had some slightly more adventurous choices from the repertoire.

That's how it starts, the dawn of realisation.

The Dude abides
Tony Mc

Loc: Funky Fareham

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2018, 04:00:02 PM »

It was the saddest thing for me at Cropredy last year to have to ask a group of rowdies to shut up during WKWTTG. The new approach to going to a gig or festival is to completely ignore the music and just shout and laugh with your mates. Surely it would be cheaper to go to the pub?

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand.
Peter H-K

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2018, 06:13:08 PM »

It was the saddest thing for me at Cropredy last year to have to ask a group of rowdies to shut up during WKWTTG. The new approach to going to a gig or festival is to completely ignore the music and just shout and laugh with your mates. Surely it would be cheaper to go to the pub?

Egg-flipping-zactly.
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2018, 11:14:20 PM »

On the train back to Bournemouth after a great gig at the Union Chapel. Liked the new song, and they did indeed seem invigorated. V good set list in my opinion, and looking forward to Cropredy.
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2018, 08:32:32 AM »

On the train back to Bournemouth after a great gig at the Union Chapel. Liked the new song, and they did indeed seem invigorated. V good set list in my opinion, and looking forward to Cropredy.

Yes we were at the Union Chapel last night too and thought the boys were well on form. Good set list and Simon was rockin’ on the new song. Chatted with Peggy beforehand and he’s looking forward to getting his hip sorted out soon!

Born to Run (but not very fast)
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2018, 06:58:47 PM »

I was at Union Chapel and really enjoyed the evening, musically brilliant, amazing acoustics. The 'Jerry Aid' raffle was drawn and an over enthusiastic Peggy made confetti of the box of tickets in order to shake them up a bit  Grin

Even Ric had some new jokes! Peggy said about getting his hip sorted in France, I replied it could be Hip-Hop music for the Spring tour.  Roll Eyes

I just cant believe that the talented P J Wright could write Fairport such a 'twee' song about the Cherwell but Simon was in great voice and was on leccy guitar for a good few numbers too  Smiley The set list covered old and new, I like the new song, the evening started well with Jewel in the Crown, great song.

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2018, 09:27:47 AM »

The guys were very good indeed at Farnham Maltings last night - you could certainly tell the material was well played-in at this 3/4 stage of the tour.

Particular highlights were Crazy Man Michael, John Condon, Clear Water, Portmeirion, Doctor Of Physick, WKWTTG, Mercy Bay, Weightless, and storming renditions of Hawkwood's Army and The Gallivant.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2018, 12:28:43 PM »

Strangely, they've put a May 21 date in at the Union Chapel - second time in 5 months?....hmmm. £26 a pop

Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2018, 03:07:56 PM »

Strangely, they've put a May 21 date in at the Union Chapel - second time in 5 months?....hmmm. £26 a pop

They are also playing Colchester Arts Centre on 20 May (£24 a ticket...quite high for CAC) but the gig is not on the F.C. website...curious  Huh

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: