TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:47:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Now Be Thankful  (Read 6685 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« on: June 12, 2019, 01:38:46 PM »

Yesterday I went around to my friend Steve's flat. He wanted to record me singing Now Be Thankful, my favourite Fairport Convention song.  I did a bunch of guitar tracks and sang the vocal.  I've left him to tinker with it, adding harmonies and maybe a bass.  I'll post a link to it here when it's done.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 06:49:46 PM »

Excellent.  On balance, I think it's probably my favourite Fairport track too.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Peter Allen

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 09:16:59 AM »

I think that's interesting , because most people would go for something from the trio of albums before this
I can imagine the Island promo people saying "can't hear the single " when listening to the Full House demos
"Where's the single , we need airplay to help the album sales"
and Richard and Swarb saying , "well there's this sort of hymn like thing  we've been working on ".....
Mind you if Island couldn't get a catchy song like "Rosie" into the top 30 a little while later
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 09:41:27 AM »

Looking forward to hearing it!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 11:00:19 AM »

I think that's interesting , because most people would go for something from the trio of albums before this
I can imagine the Island promo people saying "can't hear the single " when listening to the Full House demos
and Richard and Swarb saying , "well there's this sort of hymn like thing  we've been working on ".....
Mind you if Island couldn't get a catchy song like "Rosie" into the top 30 a little while later

Of the classic first 5 (surely one of the best runs of albums by any band ever?), my favourite album is either Full House or WWDOOH, although generally the former.  Unhalfbricking and the debut battle it out for 3rd and 4th and L&L is generally always 5th.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Peter Allen

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 11:54:08 AM »

Throw in multiple personnel changes and the tragedy on the M1 it's a remarkable run  , particularly the 3 issued in 1969
Absolute credit both to those who came and went and to those who hung on

How many first line ups from the 60's  are still performing regularly , although not together , Ashley , Simon, RT, Iain and Judy all still making music 52 years on.  . I'm in Finchley at the weekend, might go find the house where it all started! Need to do the Kinks trail around Muswell Hill too this summer.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 12:27:43 PM »

Of the classic first 5 (surely one of the best runs of albums by any band ever?), my favourite album is either Full House or WWDOOH, although generally the former.  Unhalfbricking and the debut battle it out for 3rd and 4th and L&L is generally always 5th.

I think I am with you here, though I might take L&L over Unhalfbricking. I have always felt there were too many covers on the latter and it took me a long time to warm to A Sailor's Life, though I am fully onboard with that now. It took a voyage through the Arctic for that to happen, with the song playing repeatedly in my head as the bleak wintery landscape of Norway and the Lofoten islands passed in the distance.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: