TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 29, 2024, 11:13:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 39   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2018 - Turns and Tickets  (Read 318961 times)
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #420 on: February 22, 2018, 08:20:30 AM »

But if it's a big name who's already announced other dates and waverers could have been persuaded, the serious money will already have followed them by now surely?
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #421 on: February 22, 2018, 09:57:37 AM »

And if they’d just get on with it, we wouldn’t be having these round-the-houses discussions  Huh

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #422 on: February 22, 2018, 10:06:49 AM »

Towersey are still waiting to announce their Monday headliner, so Cropredy isn't alone.

Wandering Steve

« Reply #423 on: February 22, 2018, 10:29:58 AM »

Towersey are still waiting to announce their Monday headliner, so Cropredy isn't alone.

They are probably trying to get a deal done to announce fairport convention but they are having trouble finalising it as they have issues of their own which need addressing. Roll Eyes Grin
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #424 on: February 22, 2018, 10:33:45 AM »

Most of the festivals I'm going to this summer have yet to announce their line-ups.

Wood, in May, has not announced a single band. It is close to being a sell-out mind, and most who go there go for the atmosphere rather than any specific band.

Bluedot, in July, has announced some of its line-up, though I've had tickets for that since October (wasn't sure I wanted to go again this year, but was outvoted by my son...)

Beautiful Days in August, has not announced anyone yet, apart from the Levellers who organise it.

Y'know what? I would suggest just relaxing and not worrying too much about line-up announcements and whatnot. It'll be fine.

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Tony Mc

Loc: Funky Fareham

« Reply #425 on: February 22, 2018, 11:05:05 AM »

We have booked two festivals for the summer and, wait for it, haven't even been told where they are let alone who is playing. Living life on the edge!

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand.
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #426 on: February 22, 2018, 12:52:23 PM »

Sometimes people come to Cropredy for CROPREDY.

Okay, I know, the revenue from ticket sales for popular acts is needed.

Nevertheless, being swamped by obviously act-specific fans who spirit themselves in and out with no real feel for what Cropredy is about can have its down sides, as well as upsides. (Yes, that is a fence on which I am carefully sitting so that I don’t offend anyone.  Grin)

Discuss, or shoot me down ...maybe?
Tony Mc

Loc: Funky Fareham

« Reply #427 on: February 22, 2018, 01:07:06 PM »

Nevertheless, being swamped by obviously act-specific fans who spirit themselves in and out with no real feel for what Cropredy is about can have its down sides, as well as upsides. (Yes, that is a fence on which I am carefully sitting so that I don’t offend anyone.  Grin)

I agree, Cropredy has grown to the extent that I now feel it is losing its identity and becoming Just Another Festival. That's a shame because it does affect the loyalty of FC fans, me included after 17 years!

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand.
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #428 on: February 22, 2018, 02:05:26 PM »

Two points:

This delay has generated a far more interesting and extensive discussion that if the full lineup had been announced. Once it is announced I expect it will get even livelier.

I rather like the star headliners and unusual choices, but yes sometimes they don't get the Cropredy vibe and disappoint. Other times they're Alice Cooper.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #429 on: February 22, 2018, 02:26:14 PM »

Agreed wasn't that performance,his enthusiasm and its audience participation a pleasure (and a bit of a surprise).

Only Frank Turner and the sleeping Souls (at the Eden Project) have done it as well in all forty five years of my gigging.

Cropredy is different because of little things not affected by the main stage much. The Villages involvement. Breakfasts , scarecrows etc.

The Beer festival at the Pavillion, the Fringe, its all part of an ambience that is different to any other.
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #430 on: February 22, 2018, 03:43:50 PM »

Most of the festivals I'm going to this summer have yet to announce their line-ups.

Wood, in May, has not announced a single band. It is close to being a sell-out mind, and most who go there go for the atmosphere rather than any specific band.

Bluedot, in July, has announced some of its line-up, though I've had tickets for that since October (wasn't sure I wanted to go again this year, but was outvoted by my son...)

Beautiful Days in August, has not announced anyone yet, apart from the Levellers who organise it.

Y'know what? I would suggest just relaxing and not worrying too much about line-up announcements and whatnot. It'll be fine.

Cheers

Nick

Sensible post alert!!!  Roll Eyes

YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #431 on: February 22, 2018, 03:50:20 PM »

20 years ago

[attachment deleted by admin]

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #432 on: February 22, 2018, 04:42:31 PM »

20 years ago

I tell you what, there isn’t a single person on here that would argue with him!  Grin

No Left Turn Unstoned
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #433 on: February 22, 2018, 06:40:14 PM »

Absolutely! How about the 'Thompson Twins' again as a headliner then? Does it for me!
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #434 on: February 22, 2018, 07:11:42 PM »

Folkeast is on the weekend after Cropredy and they’ve only announced 8 acts so far...Show of Hands with Miranda Sykes, Oysterband, Irish Mythen, Wild Willy Barrett & The French Connection, Tim Edey, Rodney Branigan, The Magnicent AK47, The Gigspanner Big Band

Born to Run (but not very fast)
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #435 on: February 22, 2018, 07:54:04 PM »

I'm off to Underneath The Stars Festival and I've not got a clue who's in the line-up yet.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #436 on: February 23, 2018, 10:59:27 AM »

Kate Rusby, I'm sure....

Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #437 on: February 23, 2018, 03:14:26 PM »

Kate Rusby, I'm sure....

and damien O'Kane too i'll be bound...

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
richard58
n3wb

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #438 on: February 23, 2018, 08:24:07 PM »

My first visit to Cropredy was as an act specific fan to see Squeeze in 2012. My wife and I have been back every year since. Now we go just because we love the whole vibe. So maybe fan specific first timers should be encouraged.

I have subsequently seen bands who I have really enjoyed who I wouldn't have bothered to go and see otherwise. This includes Level 42 and The Proclaimers,

Regarding this years line up, the acts all ready announced are great and the rest will just be a bonus. I love the Levellers and Fairport  of course.

I am really looking forward to seeing the Oyster Band and will try and stay awake for Fish this time. I will have to lay off Fairport Five!!

He came like a hero from the factory floor with the sun and moon as gifts.
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #439 on: February 25, 2018, 06:29:05 PM »

I'm off to Underneath The Stars Festival and I've not got a clue who's in the line-up yet.

Limited line-up now released - Steve Earle (thank you), LAU, Ukulele Orchestra of GB among others.  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 39   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: