TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 29, 2024, 10:25:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 39   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2018 - Turns and Tickets  (Read 318950 times)
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #360 on: February 13, 2018, 02:17:45 PM »

No ones wrong about music. Some you like, some you don't.

I grew up in a Jazz musicians household ,I know just how good you have to be, one of my schoolmates and a regular alongside our dads at the Pinecliff Pub on a Sunday was Bob Jenkins Jr, now he is as good a drummer as exists, having played with Syd Lawrence, Elton John, Sheena Easton, Gordon Haskell, Van Morrison, etc. and he always loved the dance band jazz (as well as being a big Hendrix fan), but I just don't like the music, perhaps it's because I dont play and just listen.

I would never presume to go onto a Jazz web forum and libel their favourite Art Form.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #361 on: February 13, 2018, 02:32:53 PM »

No ones wrong about music. Some you like, some you don't.

I would never presume to go onto a Jazz web forum and libel their favourite Art Form.

I hope that simply saying one doesn't like a performers musical output doesn't count as libel m'lud!!  Wink

DW
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #362 on: February 16, 2018, 08:41:10 PM »

Classic Cropredy line up. Yes there are much seen bands but I would go just for Afro Celts and Vent Du Nord .
Sadly I can't be there this year.
I do find it strange that Vikki Clayton is playing the fringe but isn't on the stage Saturday night.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #363 on: February 16, 2018, 09:17:58 PM »

They don't advertise their guests in advance, do they?

hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #364 on: February 16, 2018, 09:26:49 PM »

She's playing another festival on the Saturday.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #365 on: February 16, 2018, 10:40:58 PM »

Which one'sthat? Nothing yet on her website

hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #366 on: February 17, 2018, 06:39:38 AM »

Which one'sthat? Nothing yet on her website

Hi Chris, Vikki has a ' Back to Blighty Tour' in May, June , July , August this year.
She has put it on her f book page but as you say it is not showing on her website
The festival is Woodfest in Northants.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #367 on: February 17, 2018, 06:53:51 AM »

Not to far away if she was on in the afternoon at Woodfest to make it to Cropredy for the evening...

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #368 on: February 17, 2018, 09:55:17 AM »

What's not to like about Kate Rusby.

There are not that many God given naturally great Female Folk voices, Sandy had one , June Tabor has one and so does Kate.

Is it the Yorkshire Nationalism, Gods own country stuff?
Cause the voice is lovely , the band are good and the songs varied from self written to traditional and some with humour.

She'll do fine for me.

Great music but talks way way too much, a bit like Donovan (except that the bullshit factor is much lower)

It's the talking bits I like best, she always makes me laugh. The music is nice, although a bit unmemorable in my opinion (but the voice is lovely).
I always enjoy seeing her, but can't remember any tunes afterwards.
Perfectly happy with her on the line-up though, and I hope she talks plenty.  Cheesy
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #369 on: February 17, 2018, 11:48:04 AM »

I'm afraid, personally, and speaking as a proud Yorkshireman, Kate is just too far over the 'twee' line, although there's a couple of songs I adore.  I'm always surprised and amazed by the Marmite reaction the Unthanks produce.  I strongly believe them to be amongst the finest British artists working in any musical medium today.  There really is no accounting for taste..and trying to rationalise it just makes it even more complicated!  I do find it odd that the Unthanks haven't played at Cropredy though...they can do large festival performances to seemingly disinterested audiences, and win them over.  I saw them on the main stage at Green Man a couple of years back and they were top class.  Many people I spoke to who would never consider themselves folk fans were won over.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #370 on: February 17, 2018, 12:52:03 PM »

I'm afraid, personally, and speaking as a proud Yorkshireman, Kate is just too far over the 'twee' line, although there's a couple of songs I adore.  I'm always surprised and amazed by the Marmite reaction the Unthanks produce.  I strongly believe them to be amongst the finest British artists working in any musical medium today.  There really is no accounting for taste..and trying to rationalise it just makes it even more complicated!  I do find it odd that the Unthanks haven't played at Cropredy though...they can do large festival performances to seemingly disinterested audiences, and win them over.  I saw them on the main stage at Green Man a couple of years back and they were top class.  Many people I spoke to who would never consider themselves folk fans were won over.

I saw them at Shrewsbury in 2017 and it was dirgelike , we fled quite early on. Not my thing at all. Rusby I quite like when she's not yatting.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #371 on: February 17, 2018, 01:08:49 PM »

I really want to like the Unthanks, but I just don't. I've seen them several times and always get uncomfortably bored. Lovely voices, fun personality, but...
Jones03
n3wb

« Reply #372 on: February 18, 2018, 08:47:39 AM »

Hello everyone. Hope I'm posting in the right section? I'm new to the forum and never been to Cropredy. I'm considering this years and noticed that Richard Thompson is doing festivals on the weekends either side of this years cropredy. Based on previous years, if he's in the UK at the time is it most likely he'll join Fairport on the stage for at least one set or would he be on the Fairport website as a confirmed act if he was going to be there at all? Both Fairport and Thompson are still on my list of acts I've yet to see live. With Cropredy also on my to do list it would be good to kill several birds!
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #373 on: February 18, 2018, 09:26:54 AM »

Hello everyone. Hope I'm posting in the right section? I'm new to the forum and never been to Cropredy. I'm considering this years and noticed that Richard Thompson is doing festivals on the weekends either side of this years cropredy. Based on previous years, if he's in the UK at the time is it most likely he'll join Fairport on the stage for at least one set or would he be on the Fairport website as a confirmed act if he was going to be there at all? Both Fairport and Thompson are still on my list of acts I've yet to see live. With Cropredy also on my to do list it would be good to kill several birds!

If he's around it's possible that he will guest for a few tunes, as FC do bring on ex members and other surprises at Cropredy, though it's not always announced in advance.

Well I never did..
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #374 on: February 18, 2018, 09:29:56 AM »

If he's around it's possible that he will guest for a few tunes, as FC do bring on ex members and other surprises at Cropredy, though it's not always announced in advance.

Possibly but you really should have been at Cropredy last year for their 50th celebrations when RT played a set and also guested heavily with FC

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Tony Mc

Loc: Funky Fareham

« Reply #375 on: February 18, 2018, 09:43:53 AM »

Possibly but you really should have been at Cropredy last year for their 50th celebrations when RT played a set and also guested heavily with FC

That's very Irish...

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand.
Jones03
n3wb

« Reply #376 on: February 18, 2018, 10:06:51 AM »

I know. I realised that when I seen last years setlist! My trouble is that my "must see" list is that big I need to live to about 150 to see them all. By which time all of the acts will be long dead and....erm.... you get what I mean!?!
Tony Mc

Loc: Funky Fareham

« Reply #377 on: February 18, 2018, 10:35:14 AM »

I have seen far more acts by attending Cropredy than I would ever have seen individually. The good thing about Cropredy is the one's you have not heard of or wouldn't consider seeing on their own but really surprise you. Over the years acts like Dread Zone, Larkin Poe or the Buzzcocks have been big surprises. The added bonus of surprises like Cat Stevens or a single turn by Tom Robinson have been highlights.  I hope for your sake RT does turn up, as you said, he is at Wickham the week before so it would be strange if he didn't come along to see his old mates!

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #378 on: February 18, 2018, 10:43:41 AM »

I know. I realised that when I seen last years setlist! My trouble is that my "must see" list is that big I need to live to about 150 to see them all. By which time all of the acts will be long dead and....erm.... you get what I mean!?!

I completed my bucket list in 2013, and a lot of those names were ticked off by just going to Cropredy anyway, and letting them come to me, in a way. Plus, there's a chance you'll get to meet them too - Little Feat being a good example for me, albeit minus Lowell and Ritchie (who sadly passed away that day  Cry ). Come to Cropredy anyway.  

Well I never did..
Jones03
n3wb

« Reply #379 on: February 18, 2018, 11:44:29 AM »

Never announce you finished your bucket list - just in case him upstairs is listening. I choose to extend mine just before I get to the last few acts. I'm going to do Cropredy based on what ive heard about it so far and because my son is living near London on a narrowboat and I've just spotted whilst doing my research that it's accessible by boat! If RT wants to turn up and tick another off my list then that's a bonus. The whole thing sounds great, albeit slightly bonkers (my sons just sent a YouTube clip of morris dancers rocking it?!)
I'M IN 👍
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 39   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: