TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:39:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scandinavian tour 2017  (Read 5750 times)
Hibbitt (Christer)

Loc: Stockholm

« on: October 17, 2017, 02:19:12 PM »

Great evening at Katalin in Uppsala, Sweden. Me and Lena were at Cropredy this year so it wasn’t that long since we last saw Fairport. But this of course was the total contrast to the 20.000 people Oxfordshire mega-multi-old-and-new-Fairport weekend.
   The Scandinavian tour sports six dates in Denmark, two in Sweden and four in Norway. Only two in Sweden?! Maybe Stockholm and Mellerud next time? 
   Katalin, smallish but cosy place. A listening audience. Lots of nice talk from the band, explaining and joking between the songs. And no drums! Just electronic drum pad and live percussion. Visual its looks a bit odd and stiff but soundwise it’s ok. Once again, and as usual, I was really impressed by the playing and singing – such great musicians all of them!
   Sometimes Fairport – and well, lots and lots of bands – tend to emphasize a bit too much on 1) the latest album and 2) vintage classics. So it was nice to hear Around the Wild Cape Horn, and a great version it was. Made me play the album Festival Bell again during the week and for me it’s one of the stronger albums post-70’s, kind of overlooked. John Condon is another newer tune that works great with the serious introduction from Simon.
   Quite fantastic versions of Now Be Thankful, Farewell Farewell and Hiring Fair, beautiful goosebumpy stuff. And Sir Patrick Spens always make me happy, the ultimate Fairport song in a way.
   So great to see the band in Sweden again. Funny anecdotes, history lessons and references to earlier members of the band, often with that British self ironic twinkle in the eye. And with the singing, the songs and the playing it makes an evening like it always should be – relaxed and spot on.
 Smiley

Doctor Monk unpacks his trunk tonight
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 07:51:56 PM »

Thank you. I really enjoyed reading that review.  Tiara

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 06:46:46 AM »

I wonder if that percussion setup will be used for the UK gigs? Looking forward to seeing the chaps in Gloucester cathedral next week.

Flobbadob!
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 07:17:59 AM »

That's more like what they use on the Spring tour, and maybe they did it in Scandinavia because it is cheaper than trying a full kit around? But they might also be use it in the Cathedral as being a little more subtle?

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
LarWes

Loc: Valbo, Sweden

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 08:43:03 AM »

What a great review. I was at the same concert and loved every second of it. A nice mix of old and new songs and, as Christer said, Around the Wild Cape Horn was one of the highlights. Really impressed by the playing and singing even though they were travelling light without full equipment. Now it's tempting to try to see them at the Winter tour.
Hibbitt (Christer)

Loc: Stockholm

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 03:21:33 PM »

Success in Gothenburg at the Nefertiti jazz club I heard from my brother at the west coast. Parts of the audience was a bit wild n crazy Cheesy and some kind of "Ric Sanders fanclub" or whatever but it sounds fantastic.
And my brother who saw Fairport for the first time was absolutely knocked - "what a great band!"

Doctor Monk unpacks his trunk tonight
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: